sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers: AIW around 6M (Asgard 2)

The film has now beaten Jurrasic World and is now the 4th biggest film ever WW.

This was the goal for many predictions and was on the upper side of predictions before release, so this is crazy. 

It shall also become the 3rd biggest film overseas ever on the weekend.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Sometimes this board baffles me. Captain America: Civil War did not crater it. It's a CAPTAIN AMERICA film that went over and beyond what a Captain America film should rightfully make based on the first and second film numbers. It was not Avengers 2.5, and if anything, Infinity War has proved that. Civil War performed over and beyond the expectations of a CAPTAIN AMERICA film. GA clearly loved it, but it's still a freaking Captain America film. 

Sorry mate, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the bolded statement. We could discuss all day long about what parameters do we judge Civil War by (personally, I see the argument for either Cap 3 or Avengers 2.5 feasible, since it was promoted as a sequel to The Winter Soldier.... but also a sequel to Age Of Ultron, and the Team Cap vs. Team Stark thing + the overall presence and motivations of all of the Avengers - except Thor and Hulk - was given a shit ton of relevance after all). But... I don't think that a Marvel movie with a multiplier of 2.28x means that the GA "loved" it (Infinity War proves that very much, as it's gonna go above where it would land with CW's multiplier this weekend and still has a lot in the tank). I think the concept of heroes vs. heroes, if anything, turned off the audience, who generally looks for escapist fun and ended up finding a somber, slow paced and bittersweet (if not sad) movie where their favorites act like dicks to each other. I have no doubt the fanbase loved it, but I believe the GA wasn't overly fond of CW.

But away from the off-topic, IW is doing well, keeping up with BP in non-Summer weekdays is a pretty good thing (BP had abnormal legs, so IW performing on par with it is totally fine). Let's see what happens this week, but if the DP2 blow isn't too severe, over Titanic DOM is all but a given.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 7

I think Civil War was a little misleading in its marketing as well. It was sold as Avengers 2.5 but 60-70% of the action was Captain America running around doing Cap things. Iron Man didn't even get his first major action set piece until an hour into the movie. It probably burned off a majority of its demand opening weekend due to marketing when otherwise the GA who would see a standard Cap 3 would have waited a bit longer.

Also not out of the question BVS burned the audience on the concept. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I think Civil War was a little misleading in its marketing as well. It was sold as Avengers 2.5 but 60-70% of the action was Captain America running around doing Cap things. Iron Man didn't even get his first major action set piece until an hour into the movie. It probably burned off a majority of its demand opening weekend due to marketing when otherwise the GA who would see a standard Cap 3 would have waited a bit longer.

Also not out of the question BVS burned the audience on the concept. 

amazing how many tickets 2016 feb-may sold - dp1 363, zootp 341, bvs 330, tjb 364, cw 408 (was 375+ by may end)

• Like 1

Yeah, even with the weak multiplier, Civil War was still a success no matter how you look at it. Not only did it make a healthy profit but it helped build goodwill during Phase 3 (including being a launching pad for Black Panther and Spider-Man). It's crazy that a movie franchise with 20 entries and ten years is only seeing its box office continue to rise. 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

CW really help to introduce BP and Spiderman...

Gave something Iron Man to do after Iron Man 3

Gave a lot of the secondary characters a time to shine. 

I feel like if Ant-Man and Wasp get a big increase, it'll be because of Civil War too like he had the biggest moment in that movie (lol).

Other than that, CW was just Cap being obsessed with Bucky again which probably wasn't as interesting to the GA as Avengers teaming up to fight a huge army of aliens.

• Like 4

I don't think anyone will deny that Civil War was a huge success. It was the #1 movie of 2016 worldwide, and even on a hefty 250M production budget, 400M DOM / 1.15B WW are fantastic numbers, especially for a Captain America threequel. It's just that one has to be justified when they expected it to do better when it had: 1) an awesome hook; 2) the re-introduction of Spider-Man; 3) the presence all of the other Avengers (except Thor and Hulk) and some other big characters; 4) rave critical reviews; and 5) the goodwill of The Winter Soldier. It turned out that said awesome hook actually turned audiences off, and it had poor legs. Imo it should've at least beaten Iron Man 3 DOM and WW, there didn't seem to be any reason for it to do less than an Iron Man solo movie when it also had Iron Man in it too.

But alas, at this point, CW really shouldn't matter much, because IW is clearly proving that CW was a rare Achilles-heel-type fluke where the MCU didn't quite successfully predict what audiences really wanted to see. Still a massive hit nonetheless, though.

Anyway, on other topics, A FUCKING QUIET PLACE :ohmygod:  Can we talk about this beast for a second? It's gonna beat fucking Get Out. Sure, I still think GO was a more impressive feat (175M on a 33M OW, made on a sub-5M budget by a debuting director, and it had to survive an onslaught of giants like Logan and BATB), but whatever, it doesn't make AQP's achievement any less phenomenal. It will either touch or fall short of 200M DOM, 4x its 50M OW. This is what happens when you build audience trust in the horror genre w/consistent quality films: you get giant breakout hits.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Sometimes this board baffles me. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice did not crater. It's a SUPERMAN film that went over and beyond what a Superman film should rightfully make based on the first film numbers. It was not Justice League, and if anything, Justice League has proved that. Dawn of Justice performed over and beyond the expectations of a SUPERMAN film. GA clearly loved it, but it's still a freaking Superman film. 

See how silly that sounds?

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

@baumer was right on the money with China's Tuesday gross!

Overseas , minus China,  still comfortably beating the u.s in the dailies , while fast approaching 900 million. I wonder where it will finish. 1.050-1.100 billion seems possible.

16 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

See how silly that sounds?

Except that justice league did LESS than BvS while IW is doing far better than CW so what’s silly is your argument . Plus...BvS ...really:hahaha:

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Other than that, CW was just Cap being obsessed with Bucky again which probably wasn't as interesting to the GA as Avengers teaming up to fight a huge army of aliens.

Yeah I can't speak for the general audience but I just thought it was pretty dull up until the airport fight. I don't give a damn about Bucky or Cap's boner for him.

• Like 1