CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

This reminds me of when everyone was freaking out over IW opening weekend numbers on Friday but then everything ended up alright.

Not necessarily saying that absolutely will happen here but we should wait before we start rioting

I mean this number is VERY low but CBM opening against another CBM is what it is. Ragnarok couldn't even withstand floppy Justice League lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We got a really crap “trailer” for Solo before Deadpool 2, Childish Gambino showing us round a space ship :rolleyes:

zero reaction from anyone in the audience of course lol

I didn't get a trailer even, just an ad saying SOLO GET YOUR TICKETS NOW. Dead silence. 

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean it would line up with DP2 not increasing and remaining flat with the first OW if this number sticks.

Which is in itself quite an achievement when you consider how huge the first Deadpool's OW was and the fact that sequels to huge breakouts like DP can kinda struggle to match their predecessors.

It's like saying that AoU failing to beat TA's OW is proof that there's a cap on Avengers OWs. Or saying that 69m is the Saturday cap :Venom:

Just now, Mulder said:

I mean it would line up with DP2 not increasing and remaining flat with the first OW if this number sticks.

First one wasn't really leggy enough to be called a monstrous WOM hit and comedy sequels generally have a tough time increasing. Don't think it says anything about what an R rated movie could potentially do

• Like 1

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, Deadpool 2 numbers seem good. What's the problem?

First one got a boost from Valentine's Day and President's Day. It got a 4days weekend unlike DP 2. It's a R rated flick.

Numbers are perfectly good imo. 

I can see DP2 struggling to make into $300m. And I'd make a DP2 under SMH club in a heart beat if the $52-55m OD is confirmed. That's just not good when compared to what the first one did. If DP2 was getting bad reviews or was factually an worse film maybe a decrease was understandable. It's not the case here: DP2 is better than the first film, but might make less than DP1 regarless, which is a shame and could be a different story with a different date. 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I can see DP2 struggling to make into $300m. And I'd make a DP2 under SMH club in a heart beat if the $52-55m OD is confirmed. That's just not good when compared to what the first one did. If DP2 was getting bad reviews or was factually an worse film maybe a decrease was understandable. It's not the case here: DP2 is better than the first film, but might make less than DP1 regarless, which is a shame and could be a different story with a different date. 

Ultimately won't matter that much for this film though cause it's so cheap relative to other blockbusters. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

DP2 was looking more high 50's+but allowing for high presales brings the number down, see how it goes into eve if that changes . 

So you're telling me there's a chance 

:sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We got a really crap “trailer” for Solo before Deadpool 2, Childish Gambino showing us round a space ship :rolleyes:

zero reaction from anyone in the audience of course lol

If it's this:

It's not even supposed to be a trailer,  but 'pre-show' entertainment.  Ie something to show on the screen as people are getting seated.

It's damn good as well, if you ask me. RebWGyw.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Ultimately won't matter that much for this film though cause it's so cheap relative to other blockbusters. 

DP2 is bigger and was expected to be BIGGER than the first. It's looking like it won't. So nah, that's not how I see this at all. It's not the same situation as AoU and TA because DP2 should definitely go bigger than DP1, it's factually better than the first. It's clear to me that what is stopping it to go there it's the release date.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

So you're telling me there's a chance 

:sparta:

I saw high 50s and I won't get my hopes up. :whosad:

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

You really think this is going to have a sub-2.3x multi??

Read the rest of my post for context. Basically, I'd see DP2 on the same situation of IT without the advantage of being a "novelty". While under $300m is the nightmare scenario, under SMH and SS would still be bad and a considerable decrease from the first one. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

First one wasn't really leggy enough to be called a monstrous WOM hit and comedy sequels generally have a tough time increasing. Don't think it says anything about what an R rated movie could potentially do

Fair enough didn't consider the comedy angle.

37 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It IS terrible for DP2. I do think that Reynolds was looking like a nervous wreck in the last days because they took notice that the release date wasn't good. The promo for this was not nearly close to the first one because they had to start way too late because of IW. That wasn't the case for DP1. I'd argue that it's worse for DP2 than it is for IW: I honestly could see a scenario where it'd miss $300m. 

And here's where I comeback to reply to you something you've said about CW: CW wasn't hated by the GA, what happened was that people loved the film but it was a Cap film, and an awful superhero film came a little bit more than one month earlier that kinda screwed up everything. DP2 situation is similar but Fox has only itself to blame. What is making these numbers look bad is the fact that it's wasted potential, for BOTH films. Both would benefit of being released AT LEAST two months apart. Fox tried their luck and in the end screwed up everything,, for both films. 

I absolutely agree with you that the release date wasn't a wise choice. I get wanting to capitalize on 1) Memorial Day weekend, and 2) those sweet Summer weekdays (and late June/July wasn't an option, unless directly pitting DP2 against Incredibles 2, Jurassic World 2 or Ant-Man 2 sounds like a good idea to anyone), but August would've been a much better choice this year. Sandwiched in-between IW and Solo for what, a good hold next weekend (and the 3rd one a steep drop to balance out)... not very clever. What could even sniff DP2 in there? Meg is the only direct competition from an action perspective, Happytime Murders is the only thing that vies for the same audience (but it's a Melissa McCarthy comedy, so it skews heavier female), and everything else wouldn't be an obstacle. The only real issue would be what kind of separation did you need to have from Mission Impossible 6, but I doubt DP2 would need to worry too bad about it.

Also, I believe you know this, but I never said the GA hated CW :P I just think they didn't really like it much either, and that 2.28x multiplier, for a movie that didn't have any competition other than X-Men: Apocalypse (and wtf is that movie compared to any other major cbm released from 2016 onwards, even its own franchise's Logan made it look like child's play), kinda backs that up. For a myriad of reasons beyond just BVS crippling its potential imho. But to each their own, mate.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It will decrease. And I love the film. But it's obvious at this point that it'll decrease. It won't be able to perform like DP1. Barring an west coast miracle, DP2 is going UNDER $130m. 

And what's the problem?

DP2 will be a great success.

• Thanks 1

When was it expected that DP2 would be bigger than the first? Maybe it would open bigger but I don't think anybody was figuring 400 million or something like that.

Remember, GOTG is still the highest grossing movie ever to have its direct sequel outgross it. Superhero or otherwise. Even Spider-Man 2, widely considered to be one of the best superhero movies ever, decreased from SM1.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Which is in itself quite an achievement when you consider how huge the first Deadpool's OW was and the fact that sequels to huge breakouts like DP can kinda struggle to match their predecessors.

It's like saying that AoU failing to beat TA's OW is proof that there's a cap on Avengers OWs. Or saying that 69m is the Saturday cap :Venom:

I mean it is but on the other hand while yes it will eventually be broken by inflation at the moment I don't see an R-Rated movie pass 130-140 OW.