CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

4 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

DP2 41-43, A:IW 13

Great increase for IW. 

Decent for DP2. But it’s not getting over 130M OW even with the high end of 43M Sat.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

Fine numbers for DP2, roughly the same as DP1.      

80% for IW is pretty good, , 25% Sun drop would be an exactly 30M weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

People smarter than me, how does 30 for IW this weekend look with that Sat?

Very good chance actually. Only needs to drop 25% on Sun, which I think it’s gonna do better considering Monday is holiday in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Founder / Operator
4 hours ago, RRA said:

Yeah it is, and....how many folks were predicting that though? I certainly wasn’t. 

If this OW range is fulfilled, I’ll be interested in seeing how it finishes out domestic. More/less/same-ish as the first one?

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I think @Shawn is the one to answer that to :)

I've personally long felt that DP2 was very likely to gross under the first one's $363m even if it were to hit $130-150m, similar to how the Star Trek and Hangover sequels opened similar/higher in May than their predecessors but didn't have higher overall totals. The first DP's legs weren't as long as most origin films that break out (which usually at least triple the OW gross), but that's partly attributable to the inflated opening weekend it had.

If it stays at $125m+ this weekend, I think it'll still crack $300m. But it does seem in the early hours (and with the first movie's legs) to be playing more like an X-Men film than a Disney/Marvel film because it doesn't have the family audience necessary to offset the initial fan rush. Saturday's business will be very telling, though. People love this character.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

A potential low end scenario for DP2 would probably be a 41 Sat + 25% Sun drop for a 125M OW; high end would be 43 + 20% drop for 130. Seems likely that it goes under DP1 all things considered. That being said, for all intents and purposes, a respectable effort nonetheless, especially for R-rated comedy sequel standards (+ DP1 did have those President's Day/Valentine's Day boosts, after all).

Noice for IW, a great 80% bump from Friday. Optimistic-ish 25% Sun drop gives it a 3-day of 30M dead-on. Which would be really good in face of DP2's OW.

• Like 1

41-43M for DP2 is a 19.3-23% drop from Friday. Or a 18-24% increase over true Friday (34.7M)

High end increase would bode better for Sun drop. But low end would indicate more frontloaded nature so even with Canada holiday, I don’t think Sun drop could get the below 20% needed for 130M.

17 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

That’s a better increase for IW than I expected. Good for Deadpool too, it can still hit $130m if it drops less than 21% tomorrow. That’s a possibility right?

21 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

@Rthanos posted a single number (6.5) yesterday that was enough to ruin everyone's hopes for $2bn and a day later he posts another number (13) that has put everyone's hopes back in place. Honestly, when's this run gonna be over so we can sit back and relax...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3