CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Last time calendar was like this nothing dropped 20% or close

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-05-20&track=battleship.htm

Are you trying to tell me that 4th wknd of The Pirates! is not a good comp for Deadpool?

7 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

That’s a better increase for IW than I expected. Good for Deadpool too, it can still hit $130m if it drops less than 21% tomorrow. That’s a possibility right?

GOTG2 with a bigger Sat increase dropped closer to 25% on Sun. Granted DP2 has slightly different time frame with more schools out and Victory Day on Monday, it could theoretically get a better drop. But by the same principle, Sat jumps could have been better too. Personally, I think if Sat actuals are closer to 41M, then Sun will drop closer to 25%.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I've personally long felt that DP2 was very likely to gross under the first one's $363m even if it were to hit $130-150m, similar to how the Star Trek and Hangover sequels opened similar/higher in May than their predecessors but didn't have higher overall totals. The first DP's legs weren't as long as most origin films that break out (which usually at least triple the OW gross), but that's partly attributable to the inflated opening weekend it had.

If it stays at $125m+ this weekend, I think it'll still crack $300m. But it does seem in the early hours (and with the first movie's legs) to be playing more like an X-Men film than a Disney/Marvel film because it doesn't have the family audience necessary to offset the initial fan rush. Saturday's business will be very telling, though. People love this character.

DP2 only needs to do 2.4 multi to crack $300m which is achievable IMO, sure it's not hitting the heights of DP1 but the film's still a hit for FOX nonetheless. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I've personally long felt that DP2 was very likely to gross under the first one's $363m even if it were to hit $130-150m, similar to how the Star Trek and Hangover sequels opened similar/higher in May than their predecessors but didn't have higher overall totals. The first DP's legs weren't as long as most origin films that break out (which usually at least triple the OW gross), but that's partly attributable to the inflated opening weekend it had.

If it stays at $125m+ this weekend, I think it'll still crack $300m. But it does seem in the early hours (and with the first movie's legs) to be playing more like an X-Men film than a Disney/Marvel film because it doesn't have the family audience necessary to offset the initial fan rush. Saturday's business will be very telling, though. People love this character.

Memorial Day weekend won't hurt. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

My real interest is in how Marvel will handle a Doctor Strange sequel. People liked it and I like it more than most but it seemed to get some of the least amount of buzz out of all the Marvel films. 

I expect it'll be for November 2020 which is quite a long gap for a first sequel. 

Derrickson I imagine is back but I wouldn't be fussed if they have a new director.

Just now, iHeartJames said:

Im sorry I didn't know that was a spoiler since alot of what he says are in promos now but sorry again

Nah you're fine, I'm just saying as a warning to not go nuts on quoting the movie or anything. But I appreciate it.

21 minutes ago, Quigley said:

@Rthanos posted a single number (6.5) yesterday that was enough to ruin everyone's hopes for $2bn and a day later he posts another number (13) that has put everyone's hopes back in place. Honestly, when's this run gonna be over so we can sit back and relax...

Never! This is a long term race on a roller coaster, where only stronger hearts survive, it's natural box office selection.

@Rthanos is just having some fun playing Darwin role. 

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

I’m sure @Ithil didn’t mean too. But sorry man. Let’s blame Taika for this mess. 

I blame Taika for everything. I tell him that in the letters I write to him every day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Always great to see you making an appearance here once in a while, @Shawn

Good analysis. The Star Trek mention brought back memories of your STID over IM3 club lol :P It was great fun time back then though. I miss it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The sat range for DP2 is good. Coulda been much worse given the preview share of OD. Though it still might fall just short of 125, which is lower than pretty much everyone expected, though I only expected about 10m more personally. 

Awesome for IW, 30m on the table. The plot thickens in the Great MCU Race.

Also, awesome to see an appearance here from you @Shawn

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Feel DP2 will cross 300 comfortably, 126*2.57=324 or so (-11% from 363).

I agree. DP1 had the holiday(s) on its OW while that's next weekend for this one, and WOM seems about on par with the first, so even accounting for Solo the difference in legs between the two will be that different.

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I blame Taika for everything. I tell him that in the letters I write to him every day. 

Kudos to you! Someone’s gotta do it to help balance out and prevent Taika from getting an inflated ego due to the daily blinded love fanmails he got from @aabattery 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1