CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Dunno that being sandwiched between BP and IW woulda been great for it

I disagree. I think mid March would have been a good release date and that it would have hurt Black Panther.

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

So DP2 will be the first Superhero movie to fall below the low end tracking since Justice League :sparta: 

It’ll be within 5M of the low end of tracking though.

While JL was nowhere near even the low end of most conservative tracking (at the time) 

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

I don't know if it would have made significantly more money, but early August would have been a perfect date for DP2. Not enough crossover with MI: Fallout's audience to really harm either one, IMHO.

I still think if Disney were smart that's where Solo would have ended up. But they had to be stubborn about that memorial release. May regret it soon. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I would say you should pitch that to Marvel/Feige, but they seem to be so far of our thinking with each passing movie that I kinda wonder if that's their plan already...

It’s the best of both worlds scenario because it’s not like he can mothball DP and start over with his MCU booking/recastings like he had with Spidey and will with X-Men/FF. (King Mickey’s accountants wouldn’t be happy.) 

honestly at this point you you have to wonder if Feige will just let him go off to his corner, let RR have his run, then what that has run it’s course then actually drop him (recasted) into other MCU movies (which in this scenario would be to ignore him and his stuff like Feige does the Marvel shows.)

Of course this is pure speculation on my part. 

Edited by RRA
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still think if Disney were smart that's where Solo would have ended up. But they had to be stubborn about that memorial release. May regret it soon. 

I don't know about regretting it, but I definitely was a proponent of the August date for Solo as well. I think their reasoning in May is that it gives them a full summer (and a major holiday) to bring out families, which I theorize are less pessimistic about Solo than others that have followed the production drama.

*shrug*

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I disagree. I think mid March would have been a good release date and that it would have hurt Black Panther.

Absolutely not. BP was a cultural phenomenon and had DP2 gotten released in March we'd be talking about a sub $100M OW especially with IW right around the corner 

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Again, Deadpool had inflated numbers. We'll never know how much would DP 1 have made without a holiday.

Deadpool 2 has no holidays to boost its numbers. 125 million is a great number for a R rated superhero movie. That's all. 

It probably would have made $115M-$120M given its Friday number. 

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I don't know about regretting it, but I definitely was a proponent of the August date for Solo as well. I think their reasoning in May is that it gives them a full summer (and a major holiday) to bring out families, which I theorize are less pessimistic about Solo than others that have followed the production drama.

*shrug*

True, I just think the extra time for marketing was sorely needed to build hype/awareness in this case, and you get a nice barren schedule in August/September. But hey, Christopher Robin can just reap those rewards instead now, which is more than fine by me. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 12:14 PM, Cmasterclay said:

Thu: 19m (Sorry Sam copied you)

Friday: 34 + 19 = 53

Saturday: 40

Sunday: 31

Total: 124m

What a redemption arc for @Cmasterclay after the IW mess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

*shrug*

I think Solo is where it is to hurt competition, granted the competition between it's OW and The Incredibles is very scarce so who knows. Disney wants to own the Summer, Even if we assume Summer is May 1st - August 31st~ Disney is will be over 300mil for the 'summer' after today.

It’s roughly opening to around 90% of DP1 in Australia. In Australia’s case both weekends were non holidays. DP1 had the Valentines boost and DP2 may have been slightly impacted by wedding coverage on Saturday night. DP2 opened on Wednesday and is looking at AUD15m for 5 days. DP1 opened on the regular Thursday and had AUD14.9m. 

Just checked. Massive numbers for the wedding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So is Deadpool getting released in China or not?

Considering Fox sent out a PG-13 cut to get approved over 2 months ago, and yet there’s still no announcements for release dates. Meanwhile, later summer blockbusters like FK and The Incredibles 2 already locked down their dates, I’d probably say it’s dead for DP2 in China.

Edited by Sam

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Imagine if it and RPO had swapped. RPO would have gone from mildly profitable to outright bomb. 

Still bitter about RPO being a hit? :hahaha:

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I don't know if it would have made significantly more money, but early August would have been a perfect date for DP2. Not enough crossover with MI: Fallout's audience to really harm either one, IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

*shrug*

TBH Deadpool 2 probably would have impacted anyway because there's still more competition. Maybe not something like Avengers but competition nonetheless.

If it wasn't for Poppins, Solo would have got December but Memorial Day hasn't worked for Disney for a while so maybe late summer would have better but for some reason, they think Star Wars and Memorial Day is a winning formula which may not be the case this time next week.