Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I understand why many people think that IX has no "hook" besides beeing the finale, but i would be very carefull with predictions like "under TLJ DOM" before we have atleast a teaser. If the marketing for IX is great - and Disney has no reason to not market it well - the hype will built again.

The Issue I have is Rey already beat Ren in episode 7 and yes it was not a fair fight but in any of these classic heroes vs villian storylines, the fight against the villian needs to be seen as a struggle to be compelling. 

Now I Know Rey just has to close her eyes and go super sayian and she will beat Ren.

Now I respect that many people that this is not an issue, but perhaps to more simplistic SW fans like myself, I think this lack of struggle between the two I think really diminishes the story or appeal of the film to us. 

I hope if they have gone down this path they go for a dark side ending or something. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I understand why many people think that IX has no "hook" besides beeing the finale, but i would be very carefull with predictions like "under TLJ DOM" before we have atleast a teaser. If the marketing for IX is great - and Disney has no reason to not market it well - the hype will built again.

From everything I have read Disney has abandoned the "trilogy" format, so this next film will not be the finale. 

• Sad 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

This might matter if the audience review section didn't make me feel like I accidentally wandered into a Breitbart forum.

I never really got why they named it like that. "Breitbart" - does it stand for something or is it just a made-up name? Cause in german its kinda funny, since it practically means "breiter Bart" - in English "wide Beard".

1 minute ago, Eastwood47 said:

From everything I have read Disney has abandoned the "trilogy" format, so this next film will not be the finale. 

Ofc Disney wont ever stop making SW films, but as far as i know its the finale of the Skywalker Storyline.

2 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

I think based on how they took this story and especially how TLJ was like, I cant see how Episode 9 can be a finale. 

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I never really got why they named it like that. "Breitbart" - does it stand for something or is it just a made-up name? Cause in german its kinda funny, since it practically means "breiter Bart" - in English "wide Beard".

it was the surname of the founder.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I'm almost certain that Solo will get badly beaten by Ant-Man 2 in terms of WW BO. 

Yup, Ant-Man is gonna squash Solo OS/WW.

DOM is the race I find interesting, because AM2 does have a small chance to beat it there too, but it's not likely. Although, if AM2 outopens Solo 3-days, Disney will move Avengers 4 to December 2019 and Star Wars IX to May 2020:sparta:

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This might matter if the audience review section didn't make me feel like I accidentally wandered into a Breitbart forum.

Yep, Especially since it is clear as hell a huge portion of the negatives haven’t even seen the movie.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

A2k, i really like you and your posts, but i really cant stand it when someone brings up internet audience scores :lol: they are 100% meaningless, because they are so easily manipulated. True WOM is showing in the drops and legs of a movie.

I'm just curious if you have any examples of that.  A movie where it had great legs, but the online audience score was voted way down despite those great legs.

In the case of TLJ, it seems to correlate.  The movie had bad legs and the audience score online was low.

The OW international numbers are terrible. Big letdowns in Europe and zero growth in Asia or Latin America. Only hope for something significant is Japan.

Even Justice League had a great run in Brazil and China. Superheros >>> Star Wars Worldwide.

I don't see how these future standalone movies like Bobba Fett and Obi Wan are going to change things beside get back some lost audience from Europe. 

29 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Times change. Now we have meltdowns on Thursdays because of early Deadline predictions for an early Thursday preview number. I can find fun in that :) And besides, weekends like Black Panther's or Jurassic Worlds where the numbers just keep getting bigger with every RTH/Empire update are just a blast.

That is so true

10 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yup, Ant-Man is gonna squash Solo OS/WW.

DOM is the race I find interesting, because AM2 does have a small chance to beat it there too, but it's not likely. Although, if AM2 outopens Solo 3-days, Disney will move Avengers 4 to December 2019 and Star Wars IX to May 2020:sparta:

Pretty sure at this point no other Star Wars movie is getting released outside of December for the next decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

A2k, i really like you and your posts, but i really cant stand it when someone brings up internet audience scores :lol: they are 100% meaningless, because they are so easily manipulated. True WOM is showing in the drops and legs of a movie.

i'll say they deserve less meaning than we credit them for, but there's a correlation at times. TLJ (46% aud; 91% critics) and TGS (87% aud; 56% critics) are good examples. there are factors like sequelitis, genre, size of ow, midweek release, direct competition, etc but sometimes you see a connection with online reactions.

Edited by A2k Raptor

1 minute ago, REC said:

I'm just curious if you have any examples of that.  A movie where it had great legs, but the online audience score was voted way down despite those great legs.

In the case of TLJ, it seems to correlate.  The movie had bad legs and the audience score online was low.

Most recently, Black Panther which had 97% on critics RT and absolutely stellar WOM among the GA, hence the 700M DOM - but the Aud Score on RT is still only 79%, which is just two % higher than Thor: The Dark Worlds 77% and we all can agree that BP had MUCH better WOM than Thor 2.

Most of the time, the scores are balanced after the movie has been released for a few weeks/months and it isnt the trolls who vote anymore but the actual people who saw the film. But in the weeks leading up to release and for the first few weeks after that, online scores are just controlled by fandoms and not reliable when we want to determine whether or not the reception among the majority of filmgoers is good.