Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Dumbo is about a cute baby elephant. It’s not flopping 

Depends a lil on how Burtony it ends up, I think. Unlikely, agree on that

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Yet, we have had 5 MCU films within 1 year. Grossing around ~6 billion dollars. MCU is king of franchises right now

The MCU franchise has more variety. You've seen one Star Wars film, you've seen them all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Depends a lil on how Burtony it ends up, I think. Unlikely, agree on that

Coincidentally, I just rewatched Dumbo yesterday. If anything, I hope Burton goes all Burtony on that drunk Dumbo sequence. For better or worse lol. 

• Like 2

That's a pretty underwhelming number for Solo, though I've been braced for it since Thursday night, when I saw it in a half-full auditorium. The cushioning effects of the holiday on Monday should give its weekend number a little boost, but I never would have guessed we'd see this one fall under $100 million for its three-day opening.

I'm surprised that Deadpool 2 wiped out as hard as it did in the face of Solo underperforming. As I'm sure others have pointed out, its Friday number is lower than what it made on Tuesday. Yeesh.

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

Is the animated Dumbo that popular today? Do kids still watch it?  I don't remember caring about it even when I was a kid, but maybe I'm alone on that.

Disney's kept the ride around since the parks opened so yes, it's still considered a big part of Disney history.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The MCU franchise has more variety. You've seen one Star Wars film, you've seen them all.

Yeah this. The MCU is something different. It’s like having all marvel films be in space and complaining why some of them are flopping.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Disney's kept the ride around since the parks opened so yes, it's still considered a big part of Disney history.

Yeah, I get that. But is the movie itself still something people want to see?

38 minutes ago, Alli said:

Same thing with MCU tho. They have the same plot

Lmao no. Eg. Winter soilder and ragnarok is NOT the same movie.  We might as well call every action movies the same because they all have villains that need to be destroyed  :hahaha:

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Come on people , you are better than this. Just this year’s 3 MCU films are completely different and if we count Deadpool 2 and Venom, well you can’t find more variety even if you tried  :)

Seeing the final Friday number coming under our board's gurus...it looks like Solo is following the TLJ tradition of being absolutely empty at/after the 10pms...

This could lead to Deadpool or AIW getting back late night PLFs next weekend (or heck, even the weekdays after this 4 day)...and I'm pretty sure if Solo isn't down to 1 screen at most smaller theaters (12 or less screens next weekend), it will be down to 1 screen's worth of showings after 8pm...

After this opening, and seeing the strength of some of the smaller films (like Book Club), I'd expect very few theater losses for most holdovers next week - instead, I think theaters will just give back Solo screens to new releases (and Deadpool ones, too, since I know it kept 2-3 at most smaller theaters this weekend)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

This response really needs to DIAF. It’s a joke which has WAY overextended it’s welxome. Find new material please.

• Like 5