Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Mekanos said:

Luke's gonna have like 3 scenes max, it's not gonna magically sell the sequel to a very divisive movie where the biggest complaint was the handling of Luke's character.

Glad to know you've read the script. How does it end?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How many people have actually said SW is dead?

saying some of the planned trilogies/spin offs won’t happen and Episode 9 will decrease again is not saying the franchise as a whole is dead 

They got to keep using those straw-man arguments to save face. Yes some overzealous fans are acting like it is dead, which is just as ridiculous as overzealous fans who are ignoring Solo's failure to launch.

Just now, Nova said:

Why do people keep saying that the Star Wars brand relies on domestic only as if the last three films didn't do gangbusters over seas 

:wintf:

Rogue One didn't really do that crazy overseas. Only 500 something total.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I love it, the negative angry toddlers aren't having as much fun now.  

They totally don't care though, right @MovieMan89?

A movie that costs $250m + $180m of marketing making less than $ 500m is not good. I do not know if you're pretending to be forgotten, but the studio does not get all the revenue from the box office. Keep pretending that doing less than 2x the budget is good. Maybe you can fool yourself into thinking you were right all along.

Plus: Let's read some of your funny quotes trying to convince everyone that Solo would be a success:

On 21/04/2018 at 12:11 AM, EmpireCity said:

Lol at anyone who thinks that Solo had a $200m budget to begin with.  

Also, Howard may have had to "reshoot" most of the film, but it isn't like they built all new sets or changed the vfx set pieces.  That is the expensive part, not getting the actors back to re-do scenes on existing sets.  

On 14/05/2018 at 5:39 PM, EmpireCity said:

Rogue One had to build new sets and add multiple sfx heavy action set pieces that weren't in the original cut.  

Solo had to mostly go pack and shoot the characters on the same sets with the same sfx and action pieces.   

Nobody on here knows what either cost, but Solo actually might have been less expensive.  

On 22/05/2018 at 12:11 AM, EmpireCity said:

I think gut feeling that Solo is going to be fine.  

There have been times that I see a board 99% convinced something is going to be an epic bomb it surprises.  

Sales are pretty good and Memorial Day is more of a family walk up type of weekend.  

Like nearly every movie, rooting for this to succeed.  

On 09/04/2018 at 1:10 AM, EmpireCity said:

Solo is going to do very well.  There are more than a few signs pointing to it right now, and the biggest one is Disney seems like they are truly proud of it.  They wouldn't take it to Cannes where movies go to get torn apart if they weren't supremely confident in it.  

The second thing is despite Alden being completely wrong for the role in nearly every way, the movie looks like pure fun and adventure.  That always goes over well for the most part with the general audience and think the May release date and that type of a movie can work.  

On 31/03/2018 at 8:33 PM, EmpireCity said:

Lol at this club.  There is a better chance that Ant-Man decreases than increases better than Solo.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

And book club just stayed flat from Wednesday to Thursday. That might end up being the movie and the story of the summer. Now I'm getting greedy and hoping for a 5 multiplier.

Well according to Deadline it's looking at $10-12M for the 4-day 

What is interesting is that this is the first of the new SW films with a man clearly in the lead role, and it's flopping compared to the other films. Obviously not because of that, but it doesn't seem to be helping. There's no segment of Star Wars fans that have been yearning to see a film headlined by a guy instead of a girl.

So it really does seem that any theory that having female leads would hurt its appeal with boys or that it limited b.o. potential is bull. That's quite a paradigm shift from how the industry used to operate. A decade ago it was taken for granted that an action/adventure film with a female lead wouldn't do as well as one with a male lead.

Edited by Hunch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Rogue One didn't really do that crazy overseas. Only 500 something total.

Thats still a really good amount when you consider that East Asia pretty much ignores the franchise. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I think the problem is that the nostalgia is based on a few key characters (Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han played by Harrison Ford), and well, they're all gone in the story. R2, C3PO, Chewbecca, the Falcon, etc are just seasoning.

I'm not sure that's it. I still think, that in a scenario, where Solo was the first, and RO was the second Prequel, RO would have fallen quite hard as well and Solo would have lived off the TFA-Hype.

6 months is just not working. Even more, with those issues around TLJ, still negatively effecting peoples minds and the press.
Matrix Revolutions and Lego Ninjago come into mind, thinking about it. 
It's like delivering a free pizza to a house, that just had dinner. Some still eat it, but others just ignore it.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have not been here all day but I can only imagine what is going on in the thread right now LOL. Haters are celebrating and many many people are probably calling this the end of Star Wars. Well I have news for you guys. Every franchise it's allowed one or two not so great moments. I don't really think Star Wars is had that yet and even if this one comes in under 500 million the last three movies they released have done around 3.5 billion. I'm sure Star Wars will be just fine. As for the movie itself I liked it and I thought everybody was very good in there and I enjoyed the action and Chewbacca was great and it did its job. I just don't know if it's going to be a film I will ever see again.

I don't think any serious person is saying this is the end of Star Wars as a franchise and if they are then they're a clown.  We're just gloating that a shitty corporate product nobody asked for is flopping.  Its domestic numbers are shit and its OS numbers are otherworldly awful and that can't be spun.

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

I'm not sure that's it. I still think, that in a scenario, where Solo was the first, and RO was the second Prequel, RO would have fallen quite hard as well and Solo would have lived off the TFA-Hype.

6 months is just not working. Even more, with those issues around TLJ, still negatively effecting peoples minds and the press.
Matrix Revolutions and Lego Ninjago come into mind, thinking about it. 
It's like delivering a free pizza to a house, that just had dinner. Some still eat it, but others just ignore it.

The 6 month gap is terrible for box office indeed and has only ever worked for Twilight, and only because that series had the most psychotically obsessed fans ever.

But Rogue One had Vader. They made sure to feature him prominently in the marketing.

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

It made ZERO sense since it's been keeping pace with IW this week so why would it make half lol 

Women over 50 being imprisoned for being old by the president would be a scenario, where Deadlines projections could work out. 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

literally every franchise is in such a weird place right now.

If Grindelwald flops/underperforms (I'm not convinced people care that much about Dumbledore) then yeah. 

7 hours ago, Box Office Freak said:

I love how you ignored all the legit criticisms for the movie from people who’ve actually seen the film and just posted these because they fit your agenda. Just face it, some people don’t like the movie because it’s just extremely average.

And I love how you ignored that I never said there wasn't legitimate criticism against it. I posted those excerpts to show that a campaign was happening from people who haven't seen the film or mention the same key words.

Looking at Flixster, it's still happening right now. It is what it is. Some people just want to see this fail.

• Like 1

Just now, Mekanos said:

You tell me, you're the one saying a glowing blue Mark Hamill will save this movie. 

Legit never said that, I commented directly at the "No OT characters will be in SW9" bit of a particular post. But I mean you have a dragonball avatar so reading comprehension probably isn't your strong suit. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Thats still a really good amount when you consider that East Asia pretty much ignores the franchise. 

I mean you can't just say "well this did well ignoring that it did badly in other areas". That being said Rogue One did pretty well OS for a spin-off it's just the Domestic total was greater than expected. 

Star Wars has done well OS but the trend from Rogue One, TLJ and Solo (TFA numbers are an anomaly let's face it) are showing some concerning declines. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

Just now, Hunch said:

If Grindelwald flops/underperforms (I'm not convinced people care that much about Dumbledore) then yeah. 

it's kinda because we're getting a lot of franchises running deep into their fifth, sixth, seventh movies and not a ton of new ones?

• Like 3