Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I literally only saw Fantastic Beasts because it was like... the only movie in the theaters at the time my girlfriend was willing to see? And the only takeaway I had from that movie was the laughably transparent attempt to copy the third act of the Avengers with the big New York setpiece. It didn't exactly leave me wanting to see the follow-up.

• Like 1

as for new franchises i get it it's hard to get IP that entices an audience or even a newer one that has that built in fanbase like those harry potter books had. as soon as the industry actually cracks the Video Game Adaptation racket that's a door to a whole other bunch of new franchises if only they could get it down. detectivepikachu1billiondollars

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Cmon people, I have packing to get done and other mods are either on mobile or not available. After consultation with the mods, @MovieMan89 and @EmpireCity are threadbanned for pages of fights, trolling, name calling and generally taking the thread way off topic.

Not thread banned.

@MovieMan89 receives a warning.

Everyone else.

Come on.  Solo is under performing.  This is not an excuse to be assholes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

Yeah man, it even happened with A Quiet Place. What started as strong praise eventually turned into all this backlash and I'm just like but did you enjoy it when you were in the theater? Why does every thing have to be perfect? Every movie has conveniences that you love. If the majority of the film is good, can't you just appreciate those aspects and accept that it has flaws? 

It's like a war with every one of these popular films. It's either "fire" or trash.

Where is there backlash over a Quiet Place? The movie is performing phenomenally, if there's backlash, it isn't manifesting at the box office. (I didn't think it was that good but) 

24 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

do you know how stupid you sound. Wishing a film to fail. What's the point? 

Solo is failing so I wish it to fail in the way that allows AIW to have a good hold. No harm in that. It's failing already. I just want another movie to have some benefit from it since Solo clearly cannot be saved.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Mekanos said:

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I literally only saw Fantastic Beasts because it was like... the only movie in the theaters at the time my girlfriend was willing to see? And the only takeaway I had from that movie was the laughably transparent attempt to copy the third act of the Avengers with the big New York setpiece. It didn't exactly leave me wanting to see the follow-up.

I can't believe Avengers was the first movie to ever feature New York City.

latest?cb=20150430030014

latest?cb=20131215134111

cloverfield115.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't think he's talking about internet reactions lmao

Transformers is already announced dead and still has a movie waiting to happen

Fast is about to split its "family" into two series

JL flopped and WB has like 15 DC projects to choose between

Star Wars in a death spiral with fans raging

Marvel... well we all saw IW

Ah yeah, looking at it from that angle, you could be right. I lost interest in Transformers so didn't care that it was cancelled.

I think the famdom of all these franchises aren't helping writers or the casual audience either though.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't think he's talking about internet reactions lmao

Transformers is already announced dead and still has a movie waiting to happen

Fast is about to split its "family" into two series

JL flopped and WB has like 15 DC projects to choose between

Star Wars in a death spiral with fans raging

Marvel... well we all saw IW

yes thank you for doing the work for me. every franchise is in a weird transitional spot.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's kinda because we're getting a lot of franchises running deep into their fifth, sixth, seventh movies and not a ton of new ones?

And 19th, 20th, 21st....

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Where is there backlash over a Quiet Place? The movie is performing phenomenally, if there's backlash, it isn't manifesting at the box office. (I didn't think it was that good but) 

As usual, look online towards cinema related forums/videos. It's the same sort of attacks that JW and IT got. 

It's not effecting it's BO but I brought it up because it relates to a portion of the internet turning on something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

as for new franchises i get it it's hard to get IP that entices an audience or even a newer one that has that built in fanbase like those harry potter books had. as soon as the industry actually cracks the Video Game Adaptation racket that's a door to a whole other bunch of new franchises if only they could get it down. detectivepikachu1billiondollars

Man the opportunities are there if they can just get it right. I still think it's going to happen. Games are turning more and more cinematic and some of those stories could be told really well outside of that medium.

10 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah man, it even happened with A Quiet Place. What started as strong praise eventually turned into all this backlash and I'm just like but did you enjoy it when you were in the theater? Why does every thing have to be perfect? Every movie has conveniences that you love. If the majority of the film is good, can't you just appreciate those aspects and accept that it has flaws? 

It's like a war with every one of these popular films. It's either "fire" or trash.

It's just the result of people losing the sense for compromises. It seems that everything is instantly bad, if something bugs you. Yeah, there are often things bugging me, but what's wrong about a good and solid 6/10 with some flaws? It's, by far, the rating I have chosen the most over at IMDB and it's okay. Life would be quite boring, if everything was a 10/10 but that's exactly what people seem to expect.

I guess having so much in the western world transformed us into greedy little whiners. Because at one point, it can't get better than 10/10 and that's when frustration plays a part.

Hype is a reason for it. So much is hyped today, but often, after the hype is gone, the 10/10 suddenly feels like only a 7/10 and well, psychologically, that's tough to handle.

Short:

We expect way too much and forget, that what we have is pretty great. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

And the only takeaway I had from that movie was the laughably transparent attempt to copy the third act of the Avengers with the big New York setpiece. It didn't exactly leave me wanting to see the follow-up.

Some of the creatures weren't even mentioned in the books.

5208814342_e56c57338b_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Poseidon said:

It's just the result of people losing the sense for compromises. It seems that everything is instantly bad, if something bugs you. Yeah, there are often things bugging me, but what's wrong about a good and solid 6/10 with some flaws? It's, by far, the rating I have chosen the most over at IMDB and it's okay. Life would be quite born, if everything was a 10/10 but that's exactly what people seem to expect.

I guess having so much in the western world transformed us into greedy little whiners. Because at one point, it can't get better than 10/10 and that's when frustration playsa part.

Hype is a reason for it. So much is hyped today, but often, after the hype is gone, the 10/10 suddenly feels like only a 7/10 and well, psychologically, that's tough to handle.

Short:

We expect way too much and forget, that what we have is pretty great. 

Well put. I've been mostly in the 8/10 or B+ range for the bigger films this year. I totally admit they all have flaws but they all have positives too.

Unless I'm down right bored while watching or playing something to where it feels like a waste of time, I'm not going to trash it.

• Like 2

Just now, somebody85 said:

Well put. I've been mostly in the 8/10 or B+ range for the bigger films this year. I totally admit they all have flaws but they all have positives too.

Unless I'm down right bored while watching or playing something to where it feels like a waste of time, I'm not going to trash it.

My most common rating is an 8/10 as well. 

• Like 1