Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

13 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't think he's talking about internet reactions lmao

Transformers is already announced dead and still has a movie waiting to happen

Fast is about to split its "family" into two series

JL flopped and WB has like 15 DC projects to choose between

Star Wars in a death spiral with fans raging

Marvel... well we all saw IW

And in Jurassic Park, the coast is toast.

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

as for new franchises i get it it's hard to get IP that entices an audience or even a newer one that has that built in fanbase like those harry potter books had. as soon as the industry actually cracks the Video Game Adaptation racket that's a door to a whole other bunch of new franchises if only they could get it down. detectivepikachu1billiondollars

My idea for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe culminating in Four Super Smash Bros, with the final two being an epic about the Subspace Emmissiory is a 20B dollar franchise waiting to happen.  Buyout Nintendo Disney, that’s the real dough

• Like 2

Just now, Pandamia! said:

My idea for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe culminating in Four Super Smash Bros, with the final two being an epic about the Subspace Emmissiory is a 20B dollar franchise waiting to happen.  Buyout Nintendo Disney, that’s the real dough

Haha, don't know about all that but I do genuinely want to see an Ocarina of Time film. Have always thought the potential to translate to a good movie is there with that game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

There'll be four Smash movies and Ridley still won't be in any of them.

• Haha 2

These numbers are meh.  I loved TLJ, but I'm starting to think it's left a sour taste in the mouth of too wide a swath of the population.

Edit: Not TLJ itself, but the consistent condescending tone Lucasfilm has taken towards fans critical of the movie, and the direction they're taking the franchise.  

"Sorry to have brought identity/gender politics into... NOPE. Not sorry AT ALL 'cause I think the GALAXY George gave birth to in '77 is big enough for EVERYONE: straight, gay, black, white, brown, Twi'lek, Sullustan, Wookiee, DROID & anything inbetween. #droidrights #weAREsentient"

-Jonathan Kasdan

I mean, I think he's right.  But spare me the pontificating.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Well put. I've been mostly in the 8/10 or B+ range for the bigger films this year. I totally admit they all have flaws but they all have positives too.

Unless I'm down right bored while watching or playing something to where it feels like a waste of time, I'm not going to trash it.

Well, overall, you chose wisely, what you see in theaters. At least that's what I do. If something overall is your taste, it's hard to go very low in terms of ratings.

I've just had a look in my list and in the last 5 years, the only movies I rated with a 5/10 or lower are:

Oz - Thre great and powerful 4,5/10

Hangover Part 3: 3/10
Pain & Gain 3,5/10
After Earth 3/10
The Lego Movie 2,5/10 (It might have been a bad day, but I'm not willing to give it another try, as it annoyed me as hell that day, so the rating might not be fair)

Bad Neighbors 5/10

Maleficent 4/10
Transformers: AoE 5/10

And that's it. Out of 103 movies I saw in theaters since 2013.
I went way fewer from 2015 on and did chose even wiser, so not a single movie after 2014 was a 5/10 or lower for me and this is great.

I think it's a good thing to keep the highs and the lows for the really amazing and terrible things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

The crossover with the eventual Kingdom Hearts cinematic universe is going to bring in all the money. 

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

These numbers are meh.  I loved TLJ, but I'm starting to think it's left a sour taste in the mouth of too wide a swath of the population.

I like it as well but it's obvious that it disappointed a lot of people. Some just like to ignore that because bigoted trolls drowned out the people who didn't like it for non bigoted reasons. I still think that Solo is flopping mostly based on it's own merits but TLJ damn sure didn't help matters.

• Like 3

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like it as well but it's obvious that it disappointed a lot of people. Some just like to ignore that because bigoted trolls drowned out the people who didn't like it for non bigoted reasons. I still think that Solo is flopping mostly based on it's own merits but TLJ damn sure didn't help matters.

I'm mostly convinced it's SW fatigue after TLJ. Solo opened too soon after a divisive sequel is what it boils down to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm mostly convinced it's SW fatigue after TLJ. Solo opened too soon after a divisive sequel is what it boils down to.

Why do you think that so many people could see that something like Man of Steel was divisive but just couldn't see that with The Last Jedi? Is it because it got great reviews as where Man of Steel got mixed reviews? The Last Jedi is just as controversial as Man of Steel so that's why I'm comparing the two.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why do you think that so many people could see that something like Man of Steel was divisive but just couldn't see that with The Last Jedi? Is it because it got great reviews as where Man of Steel got mixed reviews? The Last Jedi is just as controversial as Man of Steel so that's why I'm comparing the two.

I think the racism/sexism overshadowed any valid complaint. Me and my friend complained about how much official SW people on twitter would make grand statements that it was either people butthurt over the EU or Alt Righters who disliked TLJ when it was obvious even on places like Tumblr that people just weren't pleased with TLJ's subversions. In the end despite everyone going that they wanted SW to take risks they really didn't.

Just now, Lestranger said:

Still can fathom why they didn't push Solo to Dec or August.

Mary Poppins is in December 

August is seen as not prestigious maybe for a Star Wars film 

Also it’s possible they thought Coming soon after TLJ which they likely thought would be overwhelmingly well received would help it rather than hurt it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Still can fathom why they didn't push Solo to Dec or August.

I'd guess because either it's competing with Christopher Robin or Mary Poppins. 

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, I would say TLJ is like MOS as well. I think the general audience for the most part like TLJ well enough but they didn't love it like TFA and go back to see it over and over, and fans were sharply divided. The way some people talk though, the only reason TLJ had weak winter legs is because Jumanji stole its thunder.

Edited by Mekanos

Just now, Mekanos said:

I'd guess because either it's competing with Christopher Robin or Mary Poppins. 

Yeah, I would say TLJ is like MOS as well. I think the general audience for the most part like TLJ well enough but they didn't love it like TFA and go back to see it over and over, and fans were sharply divided. The way some people talk though, the only reason TLJ had weak winter legs is because Jumanji stole its thunder.

Jumanji played a big role but it wasn't the only reason.