Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

14 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

My idea for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe culminating in Four Super Smash Bros, with the final two being an epic about the Subspace Emmissiory is a 20B dollar franchise waiting to happen.  Buyout Nintendo Disney, that’s the real dough

@cookie @Alpha

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I think the racism/sexism overshadowed any valid complaint. Me and my friend complained about how much official SW people on twitter would make grand statements that it was either people butthurt over the EU or Alt Righters who disliked TLJ when it was obvious even on places like Tumblr that people just weren't pleased with TLJ's subversions. In the end despite everyone going that they wanted SW to take risks they really didn't.

Yes, the racism and sexism didn't help matters. So now we know, it's not just bigots that HATE The Last Jedi. I wonder what Lucas Film next move will be. Ignoring the criticisms is not an option. WB ignored criticisms and now their cinematic universe is on life support. 

18 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I’ve been avoiding the Jurassic World trailers for free of them being too spoilery. The first trailer is all I need to see. 

Man, the ad right before Solo advertising the sound in Dolby 5.1 for that....the seats were trembling during the roars. Can't wait. Even if it sucks storywise, the score and sound....yeah it's gonna be fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes, the racism and sexism didn't help matters. So now we know, it's not just bigots that HATE The Last Jedi. I wonder what Lucas Film next move will be. Ignoring the criticisms is not an option. WB ignored criticisms and now their cinematic universe is on life support. 

If anything I'd venture WB tried to listen way too late in the game, JL's a mess because they tried to course correct way too late instead of just letting that trilogy conclude naturally. I'm fairly sure SW9'll have damage control.

18 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

My idea for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe culminating in Four Super Smash Bros, with the final two being an epic about the Subspace Emmissiory is a 20B dollar franchise waiting to happen.  Buyout Nintendo Disney, that’s the real dough

Uncharted seems like the easiest franchise to adapt to film with the right writing and budget but Naughty Dog doesn't seem to want others to retell the same stories and in the wrong hands, they could still screw it up (Tomb Raider).

I think they could tell every one of those games as their own movies and have Naughty Dog on as executive producers. Make small changes here and there with some new set pieces. Could even use the same voice actress who played Ellie.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If anything I'd venture WB tried to listen way too late in the game, JL's a mess because they tried to course correct way too late instead of just letting that trilogy conclude naturally. I'm fairly sure SW9'll have damage control.

I meant that they ignored the criticism of MOS not being any fun and doubled down on the grim n gritty tone with BvS. After that yes, they did a terrible job of trying to listen to people too late.

I'd be stunned if their aren't meetings going on next week with regards to Episode 9. If Lucas downgraded Jar Jar after so many people hated on him sure LF and Disney aren't going to ignore the problems that they have beeb having.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I meant that they ignored the criticism of MOS not being any fun and doubled down on the grim n gritty tone with BvS. After that yes, they did a terrible job of trying to listen to people too late.

I'd be stunned if their aren't meeting going on next week with regards to Episode 9. If Lucas downgraded Jar Jar after so many people hated on him.

To be fair I feel like going by BvS' OW and the Blu-Ray sales of MoS, it wasn't really until BvS that people got tired of it. I'm pretty sure they'll at the very least change Rey's parentage especially if the rumors that JJ had her as someone's daughter are true.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think the racism/sexism overshadowed any valid complaint. Me and my friend complained about how much official SW people on twitter would make grand statements that it was either people butthurt over the EU or Alt Righters who disliked TLJ when it was obvious even on places like Tumblr that people just weren't pleased with TLJ's subversions. In the end despite everyone going that they wanted SW to take risks they really didn't.

Subversions don't equal risks and TLJ pulled itself back every time it was on the verge of taking a risk. The Jedi Must End...nope, I won't be the last Jedi. Rey tempted to join Kylo...nope, refuses just like Luke in ESB and Padme in ROTS. Poe is responsible for getting over 400 people killed and a mutiny...ha,ha, how cute! "I like him!" "Me too!" "Follow him!" I could go on. If you want a really great subversion of tropes, watch AIW. If you want risk taking, watch AIW. That's how it's done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

Subversions don't equal risks and TLJ pulled itself back every time it was on the verge of taking a risk. The Jedi Must End...nope, I won't be the last Jedi. Rey tempted to join Kylo...nope, refuses just like Luke in ESB and Padme in ROTS. Poe is responsible for getting over 400 people killed and a mutiny...ha,ha, how cute! "I like him!" "Me too!" "Follow him!" I could go on. If you want a really great subversion of tropes, watch AIW. If you want risk taking, watch AIW. That's how it's done.

TLJ takes about as many risks as IW does. IW's only really big ballsy move was the ending which TLJ also does with Luke, Rey's parentage, Snoke's death etc etc. If TLJ didn't take any risks it wouldn't be anywhere near as divisive as it. Sometimes risks pay off and a lot of people like it ((IW)) and sometimes they don't and people are divided ((TLJ)).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Uncharted seems like the easiest franchise to adapt to film with the right writing and budget but Naughty Dog doesn't seem to want others to retell the same stories and in the wrong hands, they could still screw it up (Tomb Raider).

I think they could tell every one of those games as their own movies and have Naughty Dog on as executive producers. Make small changes here and there with some new set pieces. Could even use the same voice actress who played Ellie.

The Last of Us is such an easy game to adapt to a good film. Naughty Dog has already done all the work. Only hard part would be convincing whatever studio to take the risk as an R, since it obviously has to be one. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Well, overall, you chose wisely, what you see in theaters. At least that's what I do. If something overall is your taste, it's hard to go very low in terms of ratings.

I've just had a look in my list and in the last 5 years, the only movies I rated with a 5/10 or lower are:

Oz - Thre great and powerful 4,5/10

Hangover Part 3: 3/10
Pain & Gain 3,5/10
After Earth 3/10
The Lego Movie 2,5/10 (It might have been a bad day, but I'm not willing to give it another try, as it annoyed me as hell that day, so the rating might not be fair)

Bad Neighbors 5/10

Maleficent 4/10
Transformers: AoE 5/10

And that's it. Out of 103 movies I saw in theaters since 2013.
I went way fewer from 2015 on and did chose even wiser, so not a single movie after 2014 was a 5/10 or lower for me and this is great.

I think it's a good thing to keep the highs and the lows for the really amazing and terrible things.

Yeah, surprisingly I have liked everything I've seen in theaters this year starting with Black Panther and Annihilation. I know that runs going to end eventually but happy that it's held up so far. The films I've thought were average to bad were stuff I waited for and watched at home.

I rate very few movies an F or even a D. Out of like 100 films last year, only 5 films hit that. Most of the stuff like The Last Knight or Resident Evil ended up at a C- because they weren't completely awful and still delivered some of what they promised.

• Like 1

Not convinced games can work as easily as movies as people like to say they are. Lots of story-driven games are hours long, how do you condense that into a 2 hour movie?

• Like 2

Saw it

I thought it was a fun, entertaining movie. Good action and humor as well. 

Acting wise, everyone did a good job but I especially thought Alden did really well given the amount of pressure that was on him. 

The train sequence was definitely a highlight and I liked all the little twists and turns in the last act. 

Wish it was doing better box office wise because with what they set up near the end I’d like to see where they were planning on going with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mekanos said:

Last Jedi's greatest crime is not the "risks" it took, it's that a good 20-30 minutes of the movie are pure padding that add little of value to the story.

Literally nobody was super upset over Canto Bight. It was ((As you said earlier)) Luke, Rey's parentage, and Snoke's death. Those are the three main things people bring up.

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Last Jedi's greatest crime is not the "risks" it took, it's that a good 20-30 minutes of the movie are pure padding that add little of value to the story.

I agree with that. The film drags like a mofo. It's shocking nobody took notice of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Literally nobody was super upset over Canto Bight. It was ((As you said earlier)) Luke, Rey's parentage, and Snoke's death. Those are the three main things people bring up.

Well yeah, I was only speaking for myself lol. I actually loved all the Jedi stuff. The rest of the movie seemed dull in comparison. 

• Like 1