Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

There are no zombie movie franchises right now, and I hesitate to think you’re very familiar with The Last of Us if that’s what you boil it down to.

It's literally a zombie apocalypse except with mushroom spores. 

but I also wonder if they wouldn’t be a bit too derivative? Are people really clamoring for another Indy/Tomb Raider type of franchise? That’s why maybe The Last of Us and trying something video game movies never have might actually be the better route.

I just played the beginning of the Last of Us, but it was extremely derivative of already ultra used book/movie tropes also, maybe a bit less than Indy/tomb Raider/Uncharted/The Mummy/etc... but still quite a bit.

Has for easy, compressing 20 hours of gameplay into 2 hours must always be a challenge I would imagine (except if there is really a lot of repetitive fat easy to cut)

Just now, John Marston said:

Uncharted and The Last of Us already feel like movies. I mean what would be the point? Just film the cut scenes or something?

Because the characters and story would go over massive with the GA if adapted accurately, the kinds of people who would never touch a video game. That’s who you’re adapting it for: the GA not gamers. And the why it can be huge.

• Like 1

I like that Rey's Parents were nobody and I was okay with Luke's death but I hated the Canto stuff because I thought it was very poorly executed and Poe's story was fine but sloppy. I think it was a big mistake to not have Rey and Poe meet until the end of the film and to split Finn and Poe up period. The three main characters should have had some bonding time together. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, I have championed Uncharted films for literally a decade now, but I also wonder if they wouldn’t be a bit too derivative? Are people really clamoring for another Indy/Tomb Raider type of franchise? That’s why maybe The Last of Us and trying something video game movies never have might actually be the better route. I also think the characterizations are a bit better with that game and it packs more emotional heft. 

I think the audience would be perfect for it. Especially if it was handled like the original POTC or Indy films. There is a severe lack of adventure films now and some of those stunts and set pieces would look right at home on the big screen. We already see so many similar ones in the latest Mission Impossibles (minus all the collapsing structures).

I agree as far as emotional heft when it comes to The Last Of Us though and it's the type of thing that would definitely work on film. The ending of Uncharted 4 was amazing too.

Because the characters and story would go over massive with the GA if adapted accurately, the kinds of people who would never touch a video game. That’s who you’re adapting it for: the GA not gamers. And the why it can be huge.

Exactly. I don't think the GA realizes how cinematic games have become. Especially franchises like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

It's literally a zombie apocalypse except with mushroom spores. 

If that the point, I would recommand people wanting a Last of Us movie to watch the excellent The Girl With All the Gifts, fantastic movie.

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Literally nobody was super upset over Canto Bight. It was ((As you said earlier)) Luke, Rey's parentage, and Snoke's death. Those are the three main things people bring up.

Literally I was

Just now, John Marston said:

also Uncharted is being made, it stars Tom Holland as a younger Drake I think. It won't be a copy of one of the games story lines which might be the way to go

That's still on hold. And again the reason being that Neil thinks the story was told as an effective film in the game and doesn't want to recast the characters because he thinks fans won't accept anyone else playing the roles.

I think he's wrong.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Exactly. I don't think the GA realizes how cinematic games have become. Especially franchises like that.

Oh they’re completely clueless to it, I can promise you. This is the same way comic book movies became huge. By adapting characters and stories for a casual audience that would never dream of reading a “silly” comic book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I just played the beginning of the Last of Us, but it was extremely derivative of already ultra used book/movie tropes also, maybe a bit less than Indy/tomb Raider/Uncharted/The Mummy/etc... but still quite a bit.

Has for easy, compressing 20 hours of gameplay into 2 hours must always be a challenge I would imagine (except if there is really a lot of repetitive fat easy to cut)

The Last Of Us starts pretty slow after it's opening (when it's introducing the future) but really picks up once Joel and Ellie take off.

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I meant that LF/Disney and the director didn't take notice. 

A ok, I wonder if those movie get test screened with a regular crowd that much ? Must hard for those having saw the movies so much to judge pace that well, specially when the movie look very good.

Just now, Barnack said:

A ok, I wonder if those movie get test screened with a regular crowd that much ? Must hard for those having saw the movies so much to judge pace that well, specially when the movie look very good.

IIRC they don't test screen SW movies for fear of leaks.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1