Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That's one of the problems with Disney's "every movie is a tentpole!" strategy... there are only so many tentpole dates

I mean, look at THIS shit:

Captain Marvel Buena Vista 3/8/19
Dumbo (2019) Buena Vista 3/29/19
Untitled Avengers Buena Vista 5/3/19
Aladdin (2019) Buena Vista 5/24/19
Toy Story 4 Buena Vista 6/21/19
The Lion King (Live Action) Buena Vista 7/19/19

Move Captain Marvel to Feb and Avengers to April and they'll have a nice lil' one-a-month schedule going on!

• Like 1

Just now, Mekanos said:

The OOT manga does a pretty good job of it. But outside of a two-parter I think it would be really difficult to adapt the actual game proper to a feasible movie runtime. 

Imagine OOT Part 1 though where it ends with Link becoming an adult :jeb!:

That would be amazing. Obviously the only way it would ever happen though is if there was already some kind of successful Nintendo CU. 

Just now, Chad Stevens said:

Twitter isn't agreeing with all of you! I'm not saying it was a great film but it didn't suck and it was a fun adventure film. The pacing of the second half is up there with the original Star Wars film and the Falcon stuff in ESB as far as action. 

The consensus is that Solo is an enjoyable film.  The word of mouth should be decent to good.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

While I agree that no one asked for this movie, I do want to add that out of state, marketing for Solo was abysmal. And by abysmal it was non-existent. A lot of members who live in certain territories talked about how it didn't even feel like the movie was coming out. Between the terrible ass marketing in the states and the non-existent marketing else where one has to wonder why Disney would do a Star Wars film dirty like that. 

As others have said, it feels like Disney kinda wrote this one off after all the problems it had. If the budget hadn't gotten so out of control because of them (there was no reason why this film should've cost more $150M, at the absolute maximum), I'm sure they would've deemed the numbers it's posting as "acceptable enough."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Are you braindead Pablo Hidalgo, Matt Martin, and Leeland Chee are all part of the Story Group. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucasfilm_Story_Group

Yes I'm aware, the article was pointing out that at the start of the process, it was explicitly all-female. They most likely made the major story decisions then. Is it any wonder that Force Awakens and Rogue One had female leads, a first for the series, and they were planning to have Leia be the sole survivor of the original trio in the new films?

Granted, I don't think any of those choices are bad ones from a creative/moral/whatever standpoint, it's more that it really does seem to be agenda-driven. Coupled with purple haired lady as an obvious analog for how women aren't taken seriously in the boardroom even by their underlings.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid! Maybe the 'culture wars' or whatever are making me see things that aren't there. I'd love to just be able to sit back and enjoy Star Wars without thinking about any of this. But it must be because I'm a man. :P

Edited by Hunch

Just now, aabattery said:

Move Captain Marvel to Feb and Avengers to April and they'll have a nice lil' one-a-month schedule going on!

But Captain Marvel has to be released on International Women’s Day for some reason. Guess they think it’ll help how Black History Month helped BP.

Just now, Hunch said:

Yes I'm aware, the article was pointing out that at the start of the process, it was explicitly all-female. They most likely made the major story decisions then. Is it any wonder that Force Awakens and Rogue One had female leads, a first for the series, and they were planning to have Leia be the sole survivor of the original trio in the new films?

Granted, I don't think any of those choices are bad ones from a creative/moral/whatever standpoint, it's more that it really does seem to be agenda-driven. Coupled with purple haired lady as an obvious analog for how women aren't taken seriously in the boardroom even by their underlings.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid! Maybe the 'culture wars' or whatever are making me see things that aren't there. I'd love to just be able to sit back and enjoy Star Wars without thinking about any of this. But it must be because I'm a man.

Ah yes the true oppressed group. White men. But beyond that uh no. Pablo Hidalgo was the first person hired by Kathleen Kennedy. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

"the 2nd best Memorial Day opening ever and 4th best opener out of all movies in 2018" 

Nope, not close to that...

4 days unadjusted for the holiday that could all stay above Solo...

1 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $139,802,190 45.2% 4,362 $32,050 $309,420,425 5/25/07
2 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Par. $126,917,373 40.0% 4,260 $29,792 $317,101,119 5/22/08
3 X-Men: The Last Stand Fox $122,861,157 52.4% 3,690 $33,295 $234,362,462 5/26/06
4 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $117,036,995 49.0% 3,658 $31,995 $238,679,850 5/24/13
5 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $110,576,604 47.3% 3,996 $27,672 $233,921,534 5/23/14
Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That's one of the problems with Disney's "every movie is a tentpole!" strategy... there are only so many tentpole dates

I want Disney to move Lion King to December and Star Wars somewhere else. Lion King would be absolutely enormous with the holidays 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ocarina of Time has fantastic foundations for a compelling adventure film. Just have to work on adapting the characterizations well for film, which would be the tricky part. 

@cookie or @Alpha, not sure who has the CAYOM rights.

Moderation 

This is the weekend numbers thread. I think we’ve rehashed stale TLJ arguments and conspiracy theories just about enough and I’m sure there’s a general thread discussing possible video game adaptations somewhere. 

Regards

BOT Staff 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Captain Marvel goes to BP's release, Dumbo stays put, TA4 goes to IW's release, Aladdin goes to TLK's spot, TS4 stays put, TLK goes to IX's spot, IX goes to Dec 2020. There. 

Get out of my head!! 😂

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ever since that schedule was announced, I thought it was insane. Still can't say I'm not excited if those films turn out good though! Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King in the same year is way too much.

And then you also have Frozen 2 and Star Wars 9 later that year. It's so wild.