Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The weirdest part about Richie doing Aladdin is that the reports from what people have seen made it sound like Disney totally neutered his style for it. So then why go with him in the first place? 

That was actually sort of the problem, looked too much like his style with the street chases and shit.  

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Pandamia! said:

Solo’s actually a pretty dang good time.  It’s funny, I think all of the TLJ haters choosing to boycott it would actually dig it.

Honestly there’s nothing to really piss off old time fans unless they’re just looking for things to gripe about. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pandamia! said:

Solo’s actually a pretty dang good time.  It’s funny, I think all of the TLJ haters choosing to boycott it would actually dig it.

yeah because it's the antithesis of The Last Jedi.  plays everything safe and has a fair amount of fanservice.  not necessarily bad but it makes for some boring moments surrounded by a few standout sequences

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I think it's just that the first was a lighting-in-a-bottle success that was gonna be impossible to duplicate. It's hard to sustain a gimmick like that (potty-mouthed spin on an inherently PG/PG-13 genre) for more than one film; just ask poor, completely rejected Ted 2.

Ted 2 was complete ass, that’s why it failed. Not to mention most comedy sequels suck. 

Just now, JB33 said:

Sorry Nova. I really mean that. I know how big a fan you are. I really just don't get why Fox put the movie where they did. Or do you think it would have dropped like this regardless?

The original release date would be better domestically but because of the World Cup’s effect on international box office they decided to just move my up everywhere 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So much for that 170mil 4 day that it was tracking to do 3 weeks ago...

I kinda HATE the breathlessly reported tracking articles. It's started to feel like nothing more than PR to me.

the tracking is based on the initial pre-sales, which are good, matching Black Panther... so the $ 170M 4-day makes sense in that point

but lately, the pre-sales not picked up, that's why the tracking is much higher than real numbers

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

That was actually sort of the problem, looked too much like his style with the street chases and shit.  

Which always sounded awful for Aladdin to me. So yeah, either way his hiring makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's just that the first was a lighting-in-a-bottle success that was gonna be impossible to duplicate. It's hard to sustain a gimmick like that (potty-mouthed spin on an inherently PG/PG-13 genre) for more than one film; just ask poor, completely rejected Ted 2.

Except Deadpool 2 and Ted 2 aren't even the same quality of film but okay. 

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Ted 2 was complete ass, that’s why it failed. Not to mention most comedy sequels suck. 

It was better than a lot of modern comedy sequels (might not be saying much). It met my expectations. 

Just now, That One Guy said:

yeah because it's the antithesis of The Last Jedi.  plays everything safe and has a fair amount of fanservice.  not necessarily bad but it makes for some boring moments surrounded by a few standout sequences

It’s a fun movie, it definitely doesn’t deserve to bomb.  It’ll probably have decent enough WoM, idk if that’s enough.

The Last Jedi is a much better movie imo, but Solo is a more traditionally fun blockbuster.  Doesn’t try anything crazy and doesn’t push the genre which is fine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

do you think Dumbo could be a big hit?

people is not expecting much from this, but i think doing something different from Burton's style could be good for him

Just now, Nova said:

Except Deadpool 2 and Ted 2 aren't even the same quality of film but okay. 

Considering comedy sequels in general have been seeing some really ugly drops in recent years, losing about 25% of the audience (which is what Deadpool 2 is looking to lose) doesn't seem so bad. Especially when the first movie drew in people who wouldn't have seen an R-rated superhero movie otherwise.

6 hours ago, AndyLL said:

:ohmygod:

Congrats to Shawn!!! 

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool 2 #CRUMBLING 

*But Im pretty sure I called this last weekend with that Saturday number :thinking:

Yeah. I got a threadban because I was "overreacting" by calling out Fox on the release date for this. It's obviously not performing very well. Is it UNDER performing like Solo? No. Is it over performing or performing "well"? Fuck no. It could and should perform bettter. It will struggle to pass $300m, but I think it's getting there. 

7 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

go for now with Solo 36.5, DP2 12, AIW 4

$4m isn't particularly good for AIW either. It's very much the same number that Civil War did on the MW's Friday of 2016. If AIW follows the exact same trajectory of CW from now on, it means it'll end its run at $652m. I think the way that Solo is falling from a cliff might be a game changer for Infinity War tho: it might result in better than expected legs for Infinity War, but is it enough to get anywhere close to $700m? Well, it depends how much positively if at all Infinity War will be affected by Solo's fiasco this weekend forward, imho.