Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Sorry Nova. I really mean that. I know how big a fan you are. I really just don't get why Fox put the movie where they did. Or do you think it would have dropped like this regardless?

I think Solo taking away its IMAX/premium screens definitely aided in the drop but to be honest it probably would have dropped 60%+ regardless. FWIW its drops OS from what I could tell seem normal so I really don't know if a different release date would have mattered much. 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah. I got a threadban because I was "overreacting" by calling out Fox on the release date for this. It's obviously not performing very well. Is it UNDER performing like Solo? No. Is it over performing or performing "well"? Fuck no. It could and should perform bettter. It will struggle to pass $300m, but I think it's getting there. 

As I just said to another poster I am really not sure the release date would have made much difference except maybe it could have kept IMAX screens longer? Its drops OS are perfectly fine and its probably going to outgross the original in that department. So as a result I am not sure the domestic numbers would have been all that different for it on a different release date. 

IW

Fri: 4M

Sat: 6.2M (+55%)

Sun: 5.9M (-5%)

Mon: 4.9M(-17%)

Total: 16.1M 3-day (-45%)/21M 4-day (-29%)

Passing TLJ by Sunday, and TA by Monday for #6 Dom. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Deadpool 2 is overall much better than Ted 2 but Ted 2 had the scene that made me laugh the hardest between the two (and even if we include the first of each film for that matter)

Sad improv?

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

do you think Dumbo could be a big hit?

people is not expecting much from this, but i think doing something different from Burton's style could be good for him

I think it can at least be a Cinderella size hit if not higher.  

• Like 3

Just saw another one of these “The summer belongs to Solo” commercials and in hindsight it’s pretty hilarious. At least Deadpool 2 called itself the second biggest event of the summer. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m also kind of sad now we probably won’t get a Solo 2 now.  Not too sad though, as there’s plenty of other things I’d still rather see Disney do with Star Wars that goes beyond the Skywalker era.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering comedy sequels in general have been seeing some really ugly drops in recent years, losing about 25% of the audience (which is what Deadpool 2 is looking to lose) doesn't seem so bad. Especially when the first movie drew in people who wouldn't have seen an R-rated superhero movie otherwise.

I mean I expected the film to drop especially domestically. The original was already at such a high ceiling. I just didnt expect it to drop this much i.e. miss $300M. I only mentioned Ted 2 having bad quality because I am sure that was a large contributor to why it did way worse than the original at the box office. But yes you're right. DP2 is playing more like a comedy sequel than it is a CBM sequel. 

1 minute ago, Pandamia! said:

I’m also kind of sad now we probably won’t get a Solo 2 now.  Not too sad though, as there’s plenty of other things I’d still rather see Disney do with Star Wars that goes beyond the Skywalker era.

I’d had been really upset if we got Solo 2 before Obi-Wan. No matter how Solo turned out. 

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Still don’t see why DP2 can’t hit 300. After this it has 2 weeks of minimal competition 

It would most likely need to add another $80M+ after MDW to get there and Im really not sure where its getting that from