Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 hour ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

I'm telling you, it's because it's such an undeniable failure that they're having a hard time figuring out how to spin it positively. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is trying to get ahead of the narrative and minimize press on how bad it's doing. I think they want no marketing of any kind and are really hoping that the only people talking about it are the people who actually go see it. Like I said before, it'd explain the massive budget (assuming deadline is correct, which is questionable) and the lack of marketing. 

At some point they realized it was going to be a shitshow and they said to themselves "well, we can either spend a little extra with ron howard finishing, then move forward with marketing as usual and hope that people like whatever we can salvage....OR we can slash the marketing budget by 75 percent and divert those funds to production to make a better final product. If we do that, the fanbase may be big enough that word of mouth markets it instead, and as a bonus now we have a better movie which means better long term profit"

Well the announcement of the new projects timing like Bobba Fet would be what you are talking about imo.

For gutting marketing spending theory:

https://www.ispot.tv/search?term=Lucasfilm+Solo%3A+A+Star+Wars+Story

They had a super bowl ad and over 10,000 national aired ads from them and their partners, according to variety they spent more on TV domestic than Fox for deadpool.

Has for them no giving anything to the trade to write about, you would also be right here.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Well the announcement of the new projects timing like Bobba Fet would be what you are talking about imo.

They had a super bowl ad and over 10,000 national aired ads from them and their partners, according to variety they spent more on TV domestic than Fox for deadpool.

Has for them no giving anything to the trade to write about, you would also be right here.

but... I thought Disney wasn't marketing Solo? 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Wrong. Me and Nova were only pointing out that it was disappointing because it was indeed underperforming. So called experts called me literally crazy and tried an intervention on Nova for calling this right from the start: it is underperforming, and plastering the release between two big blockbusters was a mistake. Deadpool 2 and Solo should be events on their own like Infinity War was, not just another two blockbusters released back to back.  The release schedule made the box office receipts of the three films to take chunks out of each other that it wouldn't if the last two films (Deadpool 2 and Solo) had better dates. We called this one right, and got called out for it. 

Yeah, when I think about it you are right. Most did think that the numbers were fine and I still think that the numbers are fine for a sequel to a break out comedy. It could have pulled a Ted 2 or Ghostbusters 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZattMurdock is not exactly wrong. Categorizing Deadpool as a simple comedy is a bit disgenious , Deadpool is a superhero film and besides the comedy it has action, special effects , characters from the X-men universe e.t.c . I don’t think it flopped or anything, and never wrote anything like that, but it could have done better at a different release date, maybe not reaching part 1 but better since it had a wonderful marketing campaign and Josh Brolin as the villain.

Truth be told I believe infinity war sucked the air out of both Deadpool 2 and solo worldwide with its epic scale and quality (and feel free to disagree all you want). It was a tough act to follow so soon  by two , somewhat , similar films (in a broad sense) a superhero film (deapool2 ) and a sci-fi one (solo) , two genres that infinity war absolutely nailed. I actually believe that even JW2 will face a similar problem , on a smaller scale. I believe the bar was raised too high for this year’s summer blockbusters by infinity war and every upcoming summer film feels.....small ? (I have no better way to express  it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, when I think about it you are right. Most did think that the numbers were fine and I still think that the numbers are fine for a sequel to a break out comedy. It could have pulled a Ted 2 or Ghostbusters 2.

Of course it could pull a Ted 2 or a Ghostbusters 2. The problem is that when you take a real look at the release date of IW, DP2 and Solo, you get the obvious that it was too much to audiences to take in. It's "event blockbuster" fatigue instead of comic book or Star Wars fatigue. Imagine that it's 2016 and BvS came in March, CW came in the last weekend of April and Deadpool 1 came three weeks after, with Rogue One right next to it. It's simply too much. Not really something that anyone could not foresee as "too much" a long time ago. A lot of us pointed out that the releases were too close to each other and that Solo and DP2 should both move last year, myself included. Yes it's not a Ted 2 or a GB2, but it's a better film than those both and actually a better film than the first. It's disappointing to DP2 and tragic to Solo because with different dates, everything would be better or at very least "fine" to Solo. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

Ted 2 flopped bc of its quality. Deadpool 2 is as good, if not better than the original with reviews to match. I agree with @ZattMurdock that if it had a better date it would've done better.

I also agree with @Nova that it may be that not as many parents are taking their kids due to getting shocked by the last one.

There was a lot of older folk at my showings. Like middle aged and elders.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I disagree about Solo, I think it was always destined to flop. People didn't want the film, they just flat out didn't want it. 

People didn't want Rogue One either. Lucasfilm should have NEVER gave up on the December release date. It's just too good, both as a new "tradition" to the GA and hardcores, and also from a merchandising standpoint. It's just a completely stupid move. If they wanted MORE time between EPIX and a Star Wars film, then move EP IX to May 4th 2020 or delay another year. I don't see how Kennedy's role can go undamaged after this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she steps down, to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she steps down, to be honest. 

I would be completely shocked.

People are waaaaaaaaay overestimating the effect one flop has on the career of someone like her. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy over.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, YLF said:

Every time I say this idk why people take it serious and not as a joke... its an obvious joke.

It isn't all that obvious. If  you've said it multiple times and have the same problem each time, it's pretty clearly not as obvious as you think it is

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

TFA 2.063 billion, TLJ 1.3 billion, R1 1.050 billion, but you guys are right the franchise is dead. Lmao 🤣 

Hyperbole is ridiculous 

Is anyone saying that? I haven't seen anyone saying that. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Kathleen Kennedy's resume includes Indiana Jones, E.T., Poltergeist, Gremlins, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, and The Sixth Sense, but sure she'll step down because one film flopped.

amazing her Star Wars films are so average after so many good films

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

who said the franchise is dead? 

nice straw man argument

Star Wars isn't dead. But it is damaged

Have you not read this fycking thread? Go back and reread it, then get back to me..

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she steps down, to be honest. 

Hmmm, yeah ... that ain't happenin'.  Even if you want to discount the vast majority of hit films she has under her belt as producer as simply a by-product of her long association with Spielberg and her husband Frank Marshall, the successes at Lucasfilm under her tenure alone has her in a position to eat an outright flop and hold on to her job with ease.

Edited by Horner
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I don't know how much various ad spaces cost, or really much about advertising at all tbh. Though if this is a significant amount on marketing, we are then left with even fewer reasons the movie is failing besides TLJ response and general interest being low.