Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

I don't why people are freaking out, 24-26M is an expected number. If it does 26M it would be actually pretty good. That's how new openers behave on Memorial Day weekend. Increase 10-20% on Saturday, drop 10-15% on Sunday and then drop a further 10-20% on Monday.

Taking 25M into consideration, Solo should be doing 22M on Sunday and 19M on Monday for a 4 day weekend of 101-102M. I know the 4 day weekend is bad but Saturday number w.r.t Friday is not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s a very disappointing saturday range.

Might just squeak past $100 million 4 day. That cant mask thr fact that this is a massive disappointment. Perhaps Lucasfilm should have allowed Lord/Miller do their thing because playing it safe here just seemed to create audience apathy.

• Like 1

I don’t understand the reaction to these numbers. True Friday was 21.5. Sat increases on MW are muted, 10% was possible. This range is an 11.6-20.9% increase. It’s literally above my expectations.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

I don't why people are freaking out, 24-26M is an expected number. If it does 26M it would be actually pretty good. That's how new openers behave on Memorial Day weekend. Increase 10-20% on Saturday, drop 10-15% on Sunday and then drop a further 10-20% on Monday.

Taking 25M into consideration, Solo should be doing 22M on Sunday and 19M on Monday for a 4 day weekend of 101-102M. I know the 4 day weekend is bad but Saturday number w.r.t Friday is not.

its disaster when overseas being 200m is optimistic

• Like 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

I don’t understand the reaction to these numbers. True Friday was 21.5. This range is an 11.6-20.9% increase. It’s literally above my expectations,

Note the reactions are from the same people who constantly run around yelling dooooooooom! and it gets a lot easier to understand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

I don’t understand the reaction to these numbers. True Friday was 21.5. This range is an 11.6-20.9% increase. It’s literally above my expectations,

The hope was for the Friday to be anomalous and good WoM kicking in to get an elevated sat. 26 M is good for a Star wars Saturday?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

The hope was for the Friday to be anomalous and good WoM kicking in to get an elevated sat. 26 M is good for a Star wars Saturday?

No, but it's good for a Memorial Day opener which typically increase about 10% from Friday proper. 26  is a 23% bump. Not that I think it's hitting 26 mind you. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

its disaster when overseas being 200m is optimistic

Just now, Istealnames said:

26M is a disaster for a Star Wars movie, but we already knew this movie’s financials were a disaster. It’s baked in. We knew there would be an awful Saturday when we saw the awful preview number+true Friday. In the context of those two, 26M is a better than expected number.       

I am personally expecting it closer to 24, which would basically change nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

because those that root for it secretly hope for a higher numbers, and those that don't are playing drama kings/queens?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why is it okay for these boards to root against certain films but not films made by Disney? I wish people were against rooting against any film to fail just so that they wouldn't be so darn hypocritical right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, justvision said:

because those that root for it secretly hope for a higher numbers, and those that don't are playing drama kings/queens?

Sure, but, like...   these numbers are so medium. If you wanted the numbers to be good, there’s not much to make a fuss about, because the top end is medium good. If you wanted the numbers to be especially bad, there’s not much to fuss about, because the low end is medium bad.           

25+/-1 is just about the most boring Sat projection we could have gotten (though of course I still appreciate @EmpireCity giving it to us — confirms neither an anomalously good or bad Sat increase).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why is it okay for these boards to root against certain films but not films made by Disney? I wish people were against rooting against any film to fail just so that they wouldn't be so darn hypocritical right now.

What the hell are you on about? This doesn't even  make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1