Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

are we really writing off the chance of this film having legs once word gets out? 

I think over the years we have observed that when a much anticipated blockbuster from a huge franchise crashes and burns on opening, they very rarely pick themselves up. Effect of WOM seems to apply to either new properties, or films that opened somewhat underwhelming but did not crash.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Fantastic Beasts isn't a good comparison because that had a strong OS performance

I’m comparing domestic as it stands. 

The international number there’s no defending. US audiences took a while to come out for Beasts, but overseas most of the Potter brigade were there. 

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

are we really writing off the chance of this film having legs once word gets out?

Do we really believe that people won’t go back to work next week and recommend it to others who didn’t go but saw the last three? 

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this plays the next couple of weeks. It’s all a bit Fantastic Beasts at the moment. I remember all the gloom and doom when that opening weekend came in. 

Harry Potter franchise is beloved overseas so this isn’t a good comparison. Star Wars needs domestic BO to survive. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Just now, NCsoft said:

I think over the years we have observed that when a much anticipated blockbuster from a huge franchise crashes and burns on opening, they very rarely pick themselves up. Effect of WOM seems to apply to either new properties, or films that opened somewhat underwhelming but did not crash.

Don’t disagree. Yet there is a chance it will hold pretty well. 

I’m not completely writing it off just yet though as there’s such a gigantic audience that go to see Star Wars films who still might come and see it. 

I won’t dismiss it until at least next Saturday when we see how it’s 2nd weekend is doing. 

The media though? It will get ripped from tonight - which isn’t going to help it one bit. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The international number there’s no defending. US audiences took a while to come out for Beasts, but overseas most of the Potter brigade were there. 

The other thing is Fantastic Beasts second weekend was Thanksgiving which helped aide things ... and didn't really have anything run into it until Rogue One.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Yea i said on Friday/early Saturday after we got some numbers from Asgard that the drop reminded me of Godzilla 2014. It’s not good at all

Also Alien Covenant which dropped an even harsher 70% to be fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Hey, SW7 did $930m

HP's biggest movie did $380M

65m OW from the entire OS landscape is just something else. With an opening that low and FK hitting OS next week, this thing could go significantly lower than even 200. Disney is having two of the biggest OS big budget failures I've ever seen this year with WiT and now Solo. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

65m OW from the entire OS landscape is just something else. With an opening that low and FK hitting OS next week, this thing could go significantly lower than even 200. Disney is having two of the biggest OS big budget failures I've ever seen this year with WiT and now Solo. 

I think A Wrinkle in Time was a harbinger of doom.

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

RE: Fantastic Beasts.

Strikes me another sequel to a well-liked movie nobody asked for and #s will drop (domestically, at least)... and it will be all be blamed wrongly on Johnny Depp.

I disagree, think that'll probably do quite well and OS it will be a huge hit as usual. 

I'm not gonna be dumb enough to blame Memorial Day for the big disappointments and shit, but Goddamn, this weekend has been a fucking bust for years now, for what once was one of the most prestiged weekends of the year for film launches. Granted, it's the studio's faults for releasing doomed projects all the time here, but it really does feel like a curse at this point.

Solo opened to less in 3-days DOM than DOCTOR STRANGE. A Star Wars movie opened in less than Doctor Strange in 3-days. Less than The Last Jedi's OD in 4 days. The Godawful OS OW is less than ROGUE ONE'S DOM OPENING DAY. This makes Justice League look like Avatar. Seriously. And Deadpool 2's hold is horribad, to say the least. The movie is doing great, nearly 500M WW on a 110M budget, but that hold is hideous to say the least.

The only movies to come out unscathed of this weekend were the ones that opened 2 or further weeks back. I hope to God that 1) studios all learn that they don't have to canibalize each other to thrive, and 2) they start releasing appealing movies and not just "oh, it's X franchise so people will eat them up" dumpjobs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really don't think release dates were that huge of a problem for DP2 or Solo. Yeah I think both could have done a little better somewhere else, but you can say that for dozens upon dozens of movies over the years. Release dates weren't going to lead to massively different results for either. I always expected DP2 to have around a 2.4x multi. It just made sense looking at DP1's legs and the fact that CBM sequels to a breakout like that are always gonna be much more frontloaded. Granted 2.3x it's headed to now is a bit rough after the reviews, but again DP1 was just a huge novelty thing that's hard to replicate. You can't really blame competition when Solo tanked so spectacularly this weekend. What competition, lol? 

And obviously I won't get into again what Solo's problems were, think I've made that very clear for months. 

9 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

RE: Fantastic Beasts.

Strikes me another sequel to a well-liked movie nobody asked for and #s will drop (domestically, at least)... and it will be all be blamed wrongly on Johnny Depp.

The new trailer has gone over well with audiences. I don’t think Depp will have any effect. I’m anticipating an increase both domestically and worldwide.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Is there a way IW misses 2 billion? It probably has 45 million left in the tank domestically, then all it needs is 50 million from all other markets.

It's gonna miss IMO.

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

From BOM's weekend writeup:

and with a reported $300 million price tag before prints and advertising this weekend's performance is extremely disappointing.

Holy fucking shit, so was Solo really confirmed to have a 300m budget then? If that's the case we're no longer looking at a money loser here, we're looking at a truly massive box office bomb. 400-450 WW on a 300 budget? Some heads are absolutely going to roll for this. Of course Kennedy will probably get out unscathed for now, even though she is the direct cause of a lot of Solo's production troubles and budget inflating. 

I suspect the Kasdans will take a disproportionate amount of blame (not that they aren't blameless.)

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The only movies to come out unscathed of this weekend were the ones that opened 2 or further weeks back. I hope to God that 1) studios all learn that they don't have to canibalize each other to thrive, and 2) they start releasing appealing movies and not just "oh, it's X franchise so people will eat them up" dumpjobs.

It's been like this for so long though. Remember 2014 when 8 movies opened to $40M+ over the first 8 weeks and the rest of the summer only had 5 $40M+ openers after that (including a total waste of the 4th of July weekend)? They're only gonna continue on this path until they find something that sticks.

• Like 1