Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

No.

There are movies out there that sank entire studios (hello Heaven's Gate). Solo won't even lose that much money when it's all said and done. And certainly just a blip on Disney's radar.

What other big franchise had a failure like Han Solo?

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I said this in OS thread but I'll repeat it here cause I think it's relevant. MCU has the luxury of boosting their lower-grossing individual franchise's profile by putting those characters in team movies. AM makes the least of Phase 2

Spoiler

movies? No problem. Put him in CW. That increases the profile. AM&TW will guaranteed increase from AM. These characters are in for a long haul. But look at Solo. They cannot increase Solo's profile in the Main Saga cause - gasp - the character is dead! Lets say young Solo has trouble lifting off a franchise. You boost his profile by elderly version's appearance in the Saga, maybe even insert a flashback of new young Solo somewhere for crossover. May not work but the point is that SW doesn't even have this option anymore cause they killed Han in the first new movie. And then decided to make a series of young Han movies without an option to fall back on older Han's popularity if they had to. And now it seems they are adamant to obliterate all Skywalkers without creating iconic non-Skywalkers to carry on. I'm sorry but if they think Rian "Rose, Holdo, DJ" Johnson is going to give them those characters worthy of succeeding Han, Luke, Leia, Vader...yikes. 

Star Wars is a huge franchise and Han Solo was a remarkable character. That's no excuse for it making less than Penguins of Madagascar WW.

Edited by Litio
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

For now. 

December 20 2019 is around the corner. And I'm not talking about Wicked. :sparta:

@Litio Han Solo may be a huge character but that doesn't mean people want to know about his life before ANH (surprise, studios, fans actually prefer mystery and that not everything is over-explained) and/or that they are ready to accept anyone but Ford as Han. Again, SW is identified with the Saga, not with Han or other individual characters. LF is trying to branch out but slapping SW on anything that isn't the Saga was not going to hype people automatically. This is a pure miscalculation on their part made worse by mixed reception of TLJ that came out too close to Solo so backlash is still hot. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

For all the talk of what Lucasfilm will do with Star Wars now, we already know the answer. They've told us.

They're doing a Boba Fett movie. They're going with highly experienced directors. 

They've known for a while this movie would flop. Maybe not this badly, but they knew. They spend millions knowing these things.

And they've already made their choice for a correction.

Agree with them or not, it's already done.

50 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Avengers IW will lack fuel to go 2B WW.

Oh well, the movie did ok overall I guess.

I won't comment on Solo, It s kinda tragic.

Deadpool 2 whatever.

"ok"? aiw will be one of the most profitable movies all time.

it's theatrical revenue alone so far is : 622*0.55 + 949*0.33 + 334*0.25 = 739 and in the end will bring 780-790.

that covers the prod budget and global marketing and more, with all of global home media and merchandising to come.

EDIT: if you were being sarcastic then ignore my post :P

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

December 20 2019 is around the corner. And I'm not talking about Wicked. :sparta:

It'll start the second the Aquaman trailer drops in July. 

Edited by MrGamer
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

are we really writing off the chance of this film having legs once word gets out?

Do we really believe that people won’t go back to work next week and recommend it to others who didn’t go but saw the last three? 

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this plays the next couple of weeks. It’s all a bit Fantastic Beasts at the moment. I remember all the gloom and doom when that opening weekend came in. 

Well Potter was never as big as Star Wars domestically though so FB's OW isn't close to as disapointing.

• Like 1

you guys are lucky i wasn't here last year/the beginning of this one because since i left i've become a very partisan mcu stan and probably would have been suspended for ugly gloating LMAO

17 minutes ago, Litio said:

I can not remember the last time a big  brand movie failed at this level.

justice league was like 6 months ago.

granted, it took kathleen only 5 months to do the same damage that snyder did in 3 years though

1 minute ago, Alli said:

What a shitty summer

I mean maybe the hype is there for it and it's just completely muted for some reason. However it is extremely muted, and if JL and Solo have taught us anything it's to trust what the buzz is indicating over a mere franchise name. 

• Astonished 1

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

justice league was like 6 months ago.

granted, it took kathleen only 5 months to do the same damage that snyder did in 3 years though

Solo would love to make Justice League numbers. It'll be lucky enough to be able to do half of that. lmfao

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well Potter was never as big as Star Wars domestically though so FB's OW isn't close to as disapointing.

not to mention that had a great start os (eventually 580) and it's prod budget was less than 200.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Force Awakens huge domestic overperformance hid the fact the Star Wars franchise is a non entity in the young latin american and asian markets.

Huge blindpsot of the franchise. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I never thought we'd see a high profile flop bigger than Justice League this soon. I guess DCU is no longer this forum's designated punching bag anymore.

Disney is now the studio people will bash rather than Warner Bros!

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I wonder what it would take for a Marvel movie to bomb the way Solo is bombing. 

You may find out soon. With two lesser properties on the schedule in the next five months, I'd say it is likely, if not highly probable, one or both films bomb.

• Haha 3

I know it's anecdotal but last night while working Boxoffice we sold out of every movie except Solo and Book Club, we had more people asking about Show Dogs than Solo..... when they realized their original choice of DP or IW were sold out, but we were sold out of show dogs as well.....