Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Godzilla had similar drops and they're making a Godzilla team up movie. The franchise is going to be fine. Even if the movies only make $500M WW they're still going to turn a profit since they don't cost so much. 

I didn't say that anything will be canceled. Deadpool 2 is a big hit. I'm just wondering about the long term prospects.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Homecoming was a July release and thus had July weekdays and it was a family film, which Deadpool 2 is not. Homecoming didn't drop 66% over a Holiday weekend. Of course Deadpool 2 can and will recover to a certain degree but I think post M-Day drops are always pretty big.

No I meant that Deadpool Homecoming would be the next flick, not comparing BO runs. Haha

And for those saying that ALL OF US thought that Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't to get to $300m but it did so look maybe Deadpool 2 is like this...

Uh... me, @TwoMisfits and @ZeeSoh were all saying that Homecoming WOULD cross $330m. And lo and behold we were right. And I honestly think comparing DP2 with Homecoming or Suicide Squad isn't the way to go. This is still a 2d Rated R film. I don't think Deadpool 2, a film I absolutely adore will get to $280m, let alone $300m. The legs clearly indicate that I'm right, and comparing this with HC and SS isn't really the right way to go. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

See but I think $150M is way too much and would not lead to profit for the studio. I think they really need to find a way to keep it under $130M but I'm not sure how you do that with a team up film 

You think it would go under $500 WW?

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I didn't say that anything will be canceled. 

Your original comment was asking about the prospects in terms of future films. But so many people commented that I was too lazy to go back and quote that one. 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think you're right. I'm interested to see where they release X-Force. I think that's when we will see if Fox learned their lesson from DP2 lol 2019 is so damn crowded though. If I were them I would look at early 2020 and give it a similar release date as the original Deadpool. Then again February of 2020 probably already has some huge CBM that I'm unaware of right now 

Once Disney has everything under its own tent they an delegate release dates I guess.. but of course the worry is they’ll favor their home grown products (MCU) over their aquired franchises.

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm trying to think of every possible EpIX scenario and every single one is absolutely hilarious. That weekend is gonna be so fun

I honestly think matching Rogue One WW would be pretty good. I don't see a scenario where matching TLJ is possible.

Just now, Nova said:

X-Force? Yes. Unless it can manage to get a China release 

idk if anything I feel like X-Force could be a bit more friendly to casual audiences.. DP2 really was a bit too insider baseball at times with its humor I think? 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

And for those saying that ALL OF US thought that Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't to get to $300m but it did so look maybe Deadpool 2 is like this...

Uh... me, @TwoMisfits and @ZeeSoh were all saying that Homecoming WOULD cross $330m. And lo and behold we were right. And I honestly think comparing DP2 with Homecoming or Suicide Squad isn't the way to go. This is still a 2d Rated R film. I don't think Deadpool 2, a film I absolutely adore will get to $280m, let alone $300m. The legs clearly indicate that I'm right, and comparing this with HC and SS isn't really the right way to go. 

I haven't crunched the numbers myself so I can't say that I agree or disagree. I mean I guess you could be right. It really has to hold up next weekend to have a shot at 300mil. It can't drop another 60%

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

even though Solo flopped it still took IMAX and PLF screens from Deadpool. Deadpool 1 managed to keep them for several weeks

I think Solo should give them back to IW to help it get to $2b. 

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Lot of candidate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

But Pluto Nash not reaching 10m at the world box office is a special one.

Heaven Gates is one of the most important one and arguably the biggest, didn't just killed it's studio and the director career but participated with a couple of other title to the destruction of the auteur movement of new Hollywood of the 70s, studio getting back into controlling movies.

The Soderbergh edit of Heaven's Gate is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Honestly Heaven's Gate is another example of a decent movie both going over budget and getting caught up in a lot of other drama.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don't even know why people are arguing lol It was very obvious from the OW that it wasn't going to get great legs. Even after the shitty Thursday drop and shitty Friday increase the writing was on the wall but people still had it go over $300M as if the holds haven't been atrocious. Having said that, the movie has been very very weird in terms of its holds. It had really good holds last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and then an average hold for Wednesday. But then Thursday, Friday and Saturday it's like the same scenario as its OW with the holds being horrendous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Switching gears here: is BP gonna get to 700 after all? I mean seriously, if it drops harsh next weekend like most movies do after MD, I'm having a hard time seeing how it gets there without you know what. 

it will be pushed over.