Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

So, I wasn’t originally expecting to see Solo in theaters.     

But now I think I might.    

Because it seems like the contrarian thing to do.

Honestly it's fine. You're gonna watch it and be confused about all the commotion

Just now, Thomas Beck said:

Well, I for one did not have any big problems with TLJ and will be there on the premier for Episode IX.

Have absolutely no interest in Solo though. Got enough of the SW spin-offs after Rogue One.

That's the same boat that I am in. I liked TLJ and look forward to the next Episode but I didn't care for Rogue One much and I think Solo looks lame and thus I'm not wasting my time with it. Not everyone who is against Solo hated TLJ. 

• Community Manager
23 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

'Tis about time I give a little something to the forums. If I order a certain quantity of the monthly rate, does that give me "X" amount of months of that account type in a row? Or would it be accidentally tripling my monthly rate, for example, if I ordered "3" of an account in the quantity field? I'm a little confused because of how it displays the price once I choose the quantity and add to cart.

Thanks.

Peace,

Mike

It would triple the price for the one month but if you PM me I fix it so you get X amount of months.

This movie isn't going to perform like a typical Star Wars movie it's opening weekend. But I'm still not sure how high it can go if it gets say a $14M preview number. Regardless I'm thinking low $100M for the 3-day if that sticks which I would consider rather disappointing since I actually thought this movie had a chance to hit $120M for the 3-day at the beginning of the week. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

So did the industry trackers.

I think

I mean they did. But to be honest I think this movie had unfair expectations placed on it. I mean we got initial tracking for Solo before the tickets even went on sale and from the get go tracking was high. Then when tickets went on sale people hid behind the well it's presales are higher than Black Panther which @grim22 was quick to point out didn't really mean anything for a Star Wars franchise. And then yesterday we got the official presale numbers for the film from a large chain and I'm legit scratching my head as to why the trades still put unrealistic expectations on the film if it wasn't selling the way it should. 

But it's the same thing that happened with Deadpool 2. They put unrealistic expectations on it ($150M+) when the data never supported that. Fox had it at $130M and even they weren't low enough (granted they didn't miss by much but still). 

But I guess having a headline say your film is tracking for a high number is better than having a headline saying it's tracking for a lower number. The problem with that is you'd better hope that the tracking matches the presales data or you're just building up expectations and when the movie doesn't meet them it's deemed disappointing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

The problem with that is you'd better hope that the tracking matches the presales data or you're just building up expectations and when the movie doesn't meet them it's deemed disappointing. 

True. But only problem is with Solo, a sub 100m OW would be really bad.

It's already flopping overseas.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

8 hours ago, Rebelscum said:

There is only 1 reason I'm not going to see Solo and that's TLJ.

I know there's going to be all kinds of bs ouija board meteorology, numerology voodoo who do nonsense trying to explain this flop, so I'm just letting everyone know there's only 1 reason for my lost ticket.

I know I'm going to like this movie too and I stayed away. SW is dead and I want left alone.

I recomend to see Solo if you did'nt like TLJ.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean they did. But to be honest I think this movie had unfair expectations placed on it. I mean we got initial tracking for Solo before the tickets even went on sale and from the get go tracking was high. Then when tickets went on sale people hid behind the well it's presales are higher than Black Panther which @grim22 was quick to point out didn't really mean anything for a Star Wars franchise. And then yesterday we got the official presale numbers for the film from a large chain and I'm legit scratching my head as to why the trades still put unrealistic expectations on the film if it wasn't selling the way it should. 

HEADLINES

Just now, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

True. But only problem is with Solo, a sub 100m OW would be really bad.

It's already flopping overseas.

In the context of how much it cost absolutely. But that's a different story in my opinion. However if the tracking for it had been lowered from the get go, it going under $100M wouldn't have been seen as such a shock or disappointment. People would just then be analyzing whether it's going to break even or not because as you said it's OS numbers aren't looking too hot. 

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's the same boat that I am in. I liked TLJ and look forward to the next Episode but I didn't care for Rogue One much and I think Solo looks lame and thus I'm not wasting my time with it. Not everyone who is against Solo hated TLJ. 

Not a very reliable source if you haven't even seen the movie.

Just now, Mekanos said:

Wait... why isn't James Mangold directing Kenobi instead of Boba Fett?

Because people are already interested in Kenobi so Lucas Film is trying to get folks interested in Boba Fett by hiring an interesting director only to fire him after 95% of the movie has been shot. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Nova said:

Because people are already interested in Kenobi so Lucas Film is trying to get folks interested in Boba Fett by hiring an interesting director only to fire him after 95% of the movie has been shot. 

Kenobi seems like a perfect fit for Mangold's sensibilities though. Pseudo-western about a legendary hero who's downbeat, old, and seen better days. 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

But it's the same thing that happened with Deadpool 2. They put unrealistic expectations on it ($150M+) when the data never supported that. Fox had it at $130M and even they weren't low enough (granted they didn't miss by much but still). 

But I guess having a headline say your film is tracking for a high number is better than having a headline saying it's tracking for a lower number. The problem with that is you'd better hope that the tracking matches the presales data or you're just building up expectations and when the movie doesn't meet them it's deemed disappointing. 

I actually support studios saying tracking data should not be news mainly because it’s honestly not news. Tracking data is to help the studio focus their marketing efforts on the lagging demographics. Instead, we get the “X movie is tracking for Y debut” which either places huge expectations on a movie or puts a movie on the defensive if tracking numbers aren’t great. The entire point of tracking numbers is so that studios can adjust marketing and messaging as opposed to having to tackle a “low tracking” narrative sometimes. The first Pacific Rim iirc had the “Low tracking, will this be a bomb” articles everywhere.