Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Here's how to fix Star Wars:

Make a good movie.

That's it.

Again, I find it really ironic that one of the opening lines of TFA applies to this entire situation. "This will begin to make things right" - they are going to need to find some way to make the part of the fan base that is really unhappy, excited about this franchise again.

Episode 9 is going to be under so much pressure if this toxicity is still in the air.

I guess with TLJ being soo divisive among fans and the GA transferred to this one doing so badly as well. The gap is too small between TLJ and this one and maybe it should've been released in December instead. Good thing WB/DC distanced Aquaman so far away from JL. 

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The fans who weren't alt right took this as Lucasfilms viewing them as only hating the film because of it having to do with misogyny, when what they were really upset about was the treatment of Luke and the way Rey was written (not that she was a woman) among many other valid criticisms of the films story that didn't involve all this identity politics stuff (I took the time to see if their complaints were valid - because like I mentioned the videos kept showing up and I like to hear both sides). 

I doubt many feel targeted by that comment why would they or would have any issue with such a trivial and uncontroversial statement ? And why would they think that Disney think that when Rey was the hero of Force Awaken&Rogue One also had a female hero...

And I doubt many are reading those, Awakens was seen by like 200m people in theater all around the world.

14 minutes ago, TLK said:

Either they had to commit to the three original leads or go with a brand new storyline. They chose the midway path and that just didn't work with either the existing fans or more casual blockbuster movie viewers. JJ can't do much with the three original leads now and I am not sure if a lot of the disgruntled fans are on board with whatever storylines and characters they have left after TLJ.

Not sure what you mean by didn't work exactly, the trio made 2.2 billion with some of the best legs if not the best leg for a blockbuster since Avatar and opened the next movie above 200m domestic. People love a good part of Ray, the too powerful at the end of Last Jedi probably not but you can insert a difficulty that take it down like all superheroes sequel movies does (or do not even take time doing it like the matrix sequels).

I am obviously not talking about pleasing the talking about star wars on the Internet a lot people, that will never happen, I am talking a giant proportion of people that went to see Awaken.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Me too I like to hear from the sane and the insane equally.

To be fair, I can't call them insane unless I hear their argument. A lot of them are just very passionate about something they love.

Marvel fans would do the same thing if they felt the writers did something disrespectful to a beloved main character. And it doesn't get much bigger than Luke Skywalker (especially after the wait from the first pictures of set readings to the release of TLJ) as far as iconic characters.

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I doubt many feel targeted by that comment why would they or would have any issue with such a trivial and uncontroversial statement ? And why would they think that Disney think that when Rey was the hero of Force Awaken&Rogue One also had a female hero...

And I doubt many are reading those, Awakens was seen by like 200m people in theater all around the world.

You haven't seen what I have then. They definitely felt targeted by it and bring it up a lot. They don't bring up Rey being the hero, they bring up the problems with her writing (as far as having no flaws - no reason to care).

But TFA was also boosted by repeat viewings from super fans. Some of the fans who were the ones freaking out the most when those first TFA trailers dropped are the ones upset now. They still say they love TFA. It's TLJ that they have a problem with. They say that after it, they have no reason to come back to 9 because there's nothing left that interests them and there's nothing new that could really pull them back due to how they handled Luke, Rey, Finn and Poe. Almost like it was unfix able.

Even Jay at RLM expressed this attitude. When he compared IW to TLJ, he was like "I care where this goes and I want to see how it ends"

Edited by somebody85

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

LF better budget that Boba Fett movie well. They thought that they were untouchable and that Solo would make an easy 800mil. They were wrong.

Boba Fett would be a second attempt away from the Skywalker structure.  Kenobi would be more reliable.  Boba Fett would be another personable tale and have to work for 100M OW.  It might be like a robot drama or something...

• Like 1

I think there's a good chance that JJ Abrams will be able to right the ship in North America with Episode 9.  This could manifest itself with a lower OW than TLJ, but good legs and a somewhat higher Domestic total.

Overseas though- the ship has sailed.  One needs to look no further than Solo's performance overseas to see that.  So while I think Episode 9 could improve Domestically, it'll probably stay flat/decline slightly worldwide.

56 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Look at the numbers world wide. They are definitely hell bent on it. And yes Disney could do something or attempt to. And I would because of how much they have riding on this. This method of pushing super fans off like Sony did with Ghostbusters (guys with large followings like AVGNerd - James) didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

Solo isn't Episode IX and it's not Rogue One either. Perhaps it was affected by a combo of franchise fatigue, weak reviews, and TLJ bitterness, but IX is going to have a lot more of a gap and a lot more time for fans to imagine that best case scenario in their minds again.

I've been in fandoms that have had some pretty bitter dividing points, but they still carry on because for better or worse, this is what they've got. The best thing for Disney to do is just plug away at whatever their original plan was and hope for the best. If they attempt to adjust the story to whatever the superfans' vaguely defined demands are, they'll run the risk of alienating the side that did get engaged in TLJ's storyline. As the adage goes, you attempt to please everyone, you'll please no one.

I didn't follow the Ghostbusters thing too closely but even though it bombed my sympathies still lie with Sony on the matter. It may not have worked but they attempted something artistically different which I still admire of them. And as far as people to incur the rage of, you can do worse morally than internet fanboys. 

Edited by tribefan695

57 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If Star Wars fans violated by TLJ are truly that hell-bent on sitting the next one out, I doubt there'd be much Disney could do to convince them to come back, and I'd rather they not make a desperate effort to try.

I'm still fairly certain they'll be back, though.

They will be but a pissed off fanbase still hurts the bottom line.

Happy fans for IW came out and watched it many times and brought along a lot of casual MCU fans along.

A lot of SW fans will just watch far less enthusiasm and not bother to bring others along. I brought along 14 people the two times I saw TLJ, for Episode 9, likely 3-4? 

It adds up in $$$

• Like 1

I think they should announce that they are going to take on the Knights Of Republic story either as films or a TV show. Keep Rian Johnson, JJ, and Kathleen Kennedy away from it just do to how that portion of the fanbase currently sees them. That seems to be what everyone wants even more than Obi Wan.

3 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

I think there's a good chance that JJ Abrams will be able to right the ship in North America with Episode 9.  This could manifest itself with a lower OW than TLJ, but good legs and a somewhat higher Domestic total.

Overseas though- the ship has sailed.  One needs to look no further than Solo's performance overseas to see that.  So while I think Episode 9 could improve Domestically, it'll probably stay flat/decline slightly worldwide.

it seems audience response generally shapes the cinematic storyline of Star Wars film going forward.  Attack of the Clones had less Jar Jar and showed all the Jedi in action.  Revenge of the Sith saw through plot conclusions.  The Return of the Jedi went lighter.

13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

You haven't seen what I have then. They definitely felt targeted by it and bring it up a lot.

I liked Awaken first watch much more than TLJ, I am reading that and I cannot imagine how I could felt targeted by such bening and obvious statement that does not make any sense.

You need to invent and project so much stuff (or .... actually have used harsh/impolite language about those movies ? Then I imagine you could feel targeted)

• Like 1

Man, bad weekend.  I think it’s a combination of too little time, and a concept nobody (me included) wanted.

It might be some Last Jedi.  There is a backlash.  I don’t know how to judge that.  I think TLJ was fantastic,  Whcih makes me wonder,,,where can Star Wars go if some of the fan base is so against so good cinema?  But hey, I liked Attack of the Clones so I’ll survive.  But...sad face.

• Like 2