Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

The general public are the most important audience to please. If fanboys were the most important then Batman v Superman wouldn't have had a 1.9 multiplier and would have grossed 1.5bil because Snyder fanboys were crazy about that film. Make no mistake a large part of the general audience were disappointed in Solo and THAT'S LF's main problem. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That would be the smart thing to do but they seem dead set on it.

If they were to decide to cancel anything they wouldn't announce it for a while, I think. It'd be like admitting failure. Showing weakness. There are cracks in the armor now. The blood was already in the water for their competitors, with how well Jumanji did near episode 8. Now this horrible opening. If I were a producer for another studio and they cancel something soon, I'd see the opening and attack. Nobody will be scared to face off against the Star Wars brand anymore, and cancelling anything within the next couple of months would only make rivals even more bold. They'll be saying to themselves, if they don't have confidence in their brand, why should we? 

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Solo isn't Episode IX and it's not Rogue One either. Perhaps it was affected by a combo of franchise fatigue, weak reviews, and TLJ bitterness, but IX is going to have a lot more of a gap and a lot more time for fans to imagine that best case scenario in their minds again.

I've been in fandoms that have had some pretty bitter dividing points, but they still carry on because for better or worse, this is what they've got. The best thing for Disney to do is just plug away at whatever their original plan was and hope for the best. If they attempt to adjust the story to whatever the superfans' vaguely defined demands are, they'll run the risk of alienating the side that did get engaged in TLJ's storyline. As the adage goes, you attempt to please everyone, you'll please no one.

I didn't follow the Ghostbusters thing too closely but even though it bombed my sympathies still lie with Sony on the matter. It may not have worked but they attempted something artistically different which I still admire of them. And as far as people to incur the rage of, you can do worse morally than internet fanboys. 

You are a lot more optimistic than I am. I think Solos performance was absolutely a combination of things but I don't think SW fatigue was one of them. I agree with Kristian Harloff there.

You think more time is going to make fans forget about this when these guys are going to follow every little update that comes out. The gap is not going to help until they see changes. These guys waited for SW to come back and a year and a half is not that long to them.

And Solos performance (as much as I liked it) kind of showed that it's not just internet fanboys that are upset with SW right now. This is a Batman V Superman - Justice League type of comparison and you have to know that Disney doesn't want that.

Imagine if TLJ was actually well received instead of being divisive (regardless of how you feel about it). Do you still think it would have done this badly domestically and worldwide? I don't. I think people would have come off a high and been excited to jump in the universe again. I think they would have been way more willing to give it a chance once the reviews showed it was fine. But fans don't trust the reviews anymore after TLJ so Solo could have been in the 90s on RT and it wouldn't have made a difference to these people because they were determined to boycott it to send a message to Disney.

So when talking about Episode 9 (the actual sequel to this film that's hated so much) I can't see these fans going anywhere or imagining some scenario that makes the story that they've been given better.

That 25% Monday drop they're estimating will likely turn out to be less 20% when the actuals come in. PG-13 titles on Memorial Day weekend with inherent family appeal like this (FYI: there were a lot of families at my showing on Saturday night) usually see them. Ditto Infinity War and that baffling 42.5% drop they're predicting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I liked Awaken first watch much more than TLJ, I am reading that and I cannot imagine how I could felt targeted by such bening and obvious statement that does not make any sense.

You need to invent and project so much stuff (or .... actually have used harsh/impolite language about those movies ? Then I imagine you could feel targeted)

I'm not talking about me man. I'm talking about them. They do have some valid arguments when it comes to the film and they definitely felt disrespected when Luke threw that light saber behind him. 

They felt the statement read like "Oh you just didn't like it because it involved strong woman" and ignored the actual criticisms that were brought up. Again them - not me.

I've said before, the decision about what to do has been made. They're going back to more experienced mainstream directors. JJ for Ep IX and Mangold for Boba Fett.

They don't need to worry about an angry small minority of the fanbase. They just need to make good movies, and they've taken steps in that direction.

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The general public are the most important audience to please. If fanboys were the most important then Batman v Superman wouldn't have had a 1.9 multiplier and would have grossed 1.5bil because Snyder fanboys were crazy about that film. Make no mistake a large part of the general audience were disappointed in Solo and THAT'S LF's main problem. 

Snyder fanboys might have gone crazy but Batman and Superman fanboys certainly didn’t and they are waaaaaaay more than Snyder fanboys.

The fanbases for such fan-driven films give the signal to the general audience , they aren’t as insignificant as people make them out to be

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Except BvS had a very poor reception in the fan community as a whole.  Fans of DC, Batman, and Superman were definitely dissapointed by BvS' portrayal and subversion of Batman and Superman.  At the very least, you could say BvS had a 'divisive' reception among fans.

3 hours ago, kowhite said:

Man, bad weekend.  I think it’s a combination of too little time, and a concept nobody (me included) wanted.

It might be some Last Jedi.  There is a backlash.  I don’t know how to judge that.  I think TLJ was fantastic,  Whcih makes me wonder,,,where can Star Wars go if some of the fan base is so against so good cinema?  But hey, I liked Attack of the Clones so I’ll survive.  But...sad face.

It's easy to fix, imo and that's why they brought back JJ.  

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Imagine if TLJ was actually well received instead of being divisive (regardless of how you feel about it). Do you still think it would have done this badly domestically and worldwide? I don't. I think people would have come off a high and been excited to jump in the universe again. I think they would have been way more willing to give it a chance once the reviews showed it was fine. But fans don't trust the reviews anymore after TLJ so Solo could have been in the 90s on RT and it wouldn't have made a difference to these people because they were determined to boycott it to send a message to Disney.

This isn't a great comparison admittedly but the best one I can think of right now is Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Inside Out got great reviews, great audience reception and was one of Pixar's highest grossing original films, then The Good Dinosaur came out five months later and was Pixar's lowest grossing film by an overwhelming margin, and TGD and Solo both had highly publicized BTS issues and middling reviews. I did think Star Wars was untouchable at one time, but in hindsight this performance does have some precedent that wasn't affected nearly as much by audience divisiveness.

I suppose Star Wars fans can still find ways to surprise me, but I find it hard to imagine them collectively carrying out their TLJ grudge all the way through to December next year; at least I hope they don't for their own sake. But even if they do, I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from attempting a more "inoffensive" next installment, as was evidenced by Star Trek Beyond.

3 hours ago, harrycaul said:

I've said before, the decision about what to do has been made. They're going back to more experienced mainstream directors. JJ for Ep IX and Mangold for Boba Fett.

They don't need to worry about an angry small minority of the fanbase. They just need to make good movies, and they've taken steps in that direction.

I seriously doubt Boba Fett gets made now.  

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's easy to fix, imo and that's why they brought back JJ.  

disagree that it is easy to fix. Thanks to the numerous decisions made, Episode 9 basically has no hook now. JJ Abrams is not in an enivable position at all

let's not kid ourselves. The original cast was the main draw to this new trilogy. Them being gone alone pretty much guarantees Episode 9 is going down further. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kowhite said:

Man, bad weekend.  I think it’s a combination of too little time, and a concept nobody (me included) wanted.

It might be some Last Jedi.  There is a backlash.  I don’t know how to judge that.  I think TLJ was fantastic,  Whcih makes me wonder,,,where can Star Wars go if some of the fan base is so against so good cinema?  But hey, I liked Attack of the Clones so I’ll survive.  But...sad face.

BTW...good to see you here.  It's been too long.  Hope you're well.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Solo isn't Episode IX and it's not Rogue One either. Perhaps it was affected by a combo of franchise fatigue, weak reviews, and TLJ bitterness, but IX is going to have a lot more of a gap and a lot more time for fans to imagine that best case scenario in their minds again.

I've been in fandoms that have had some pretty bitter dividing points, but they still carry on because for better or worse, this is what they've got. The best thing for Disney to do is just plug away at whatever their original plan was and hope for the best. If they attempt to adjust the story to whatever the superfans' vaguely defined demands are, they'll run the risk of alienating the side that did get engaged in TLJ's storyline. As the adage goes, you attempt to please everyone, you'll please no one.

I didn't follow the Ghostbusters thing too closely but even though it bombed my sympathies still lie with Sony on the matter. It may not have worked but they attempted something artistically different which I still admire of them. And as far as people to incur the rage of, you can do worse morally than internet fanboys. 

the gap still isn't that long compared to ROTS and ROTJ.  The movie won't have that kind of hype at all due to lack of a real hook and it not being seen as the "last" Star Wars film like those two were

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This isn't a great comparison admittedly but the best one I can think of right now is Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Inside Out got great reviews, great audience reception and was one of Pixar's highest grossing original films, then The Good Dinosaur came out five months later and was Pixar's lowest grossing film by an overwhelming margin, and TGD and Solo both had highly publicized BTS issues and middling reviews. I did think Star Wars was untouchable at one time, but in hindsight this performance does have some precedent that wasn't affected nearly as much by audience divisiveness.

I suppose Star Wars fans can still find ways to surprise me, but I find it hard to imagine them collectively carrying out their TLJ grudge all the way through to December next year; at least I hope they don't for their own sake. But even if they do, I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from attempting a more "inoffensive" next installment, as was evidenced by Star Trek Beyond.

its been 6 months later 80% of this thread has been TLJ

I would heed the words of Vader 

tumblr_oabdfz66Lu1twi2hjo7_250.gif

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

disagree that it is easy to fix. Thanks to the numerous decisions made, Episode 9 basically has no hook now. JJ Abrams is not in an enivable position at all

Like I said, it's easy to fix.  You can easily undo what Rian did.  

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

its been 6 months later 80% of this thread has been TLJ

I would heed the words of Vader 

tumblr_oabdfz66Lu1twi2hjo7_250.gif

Well, that's understandable because it's a pretty obvious context for the box office performance of the next installment regardless of how it does (which may also say something about how forgettable said installment is by comparison).