Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

let's not kid ourselves. The original cast was the main draw to this new trilogy. Them being gone alone pretty much guarantees Episode 9 is going down further. 

But what happens if Luke and even Han appear as ghost will their still be appeal?

I feel pretty confident the Boba Fett movie will be made.

If for no other reason than Disney must put out at least one Star Wars every year to drive all the toys and theme parks and so on. And this one has a safe director and is announced. 

The Rian Johnson stuff, I lean against ever seeing the light of day. He's a lightning rod and they can fill in with whatever the GOT guys do.

24 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I'm not talking about me man. I'm talking about them. They do have some valid arguments when it comes to the film and they definitely felt disrespected when Luke threw that light saber behind him. 

They felt the statement read like "Oh you just didn't like it because it involved strong woman" and ignored the actual criticisms that were brought up. Again them - not me.

I never said you were talking about you or implied it at all.

The bolded part "You" is completely added and a total projection they make because they love to do it no ?

Why do they put themselve there, they must have seen the many misogynist comments online before I would imagine, they know people like Abrams has seen them and is talking about those people, not about the people that hated what a movie did with the lore or a previous movie setup.

Maybe it make sense in that new strange world, but it fell forced to me by people that just love to engage in those and invent strawmen by projecting stuff they didn't say to have fun fighting them has an hobby.

The idea that Disney marketing team (company do grep the web and compile complain, you can find in the Sony leak when they promoting/developping the bluray format for example they were compiling the most common complain about hd-dvd and bluray in home theater message board) would not be well aware of the most common complain about all those movies with plan for sequel and just assume something like that do seem a bit crazy to me. Like something no one would really believe, but would love to act has if it was not the case, do they think they do not do many survey among movie goers ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This isn't a great comparison admittedly but the best one I can think of right now is Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Inside Out got great reviews, great audience reception and was one of Pixar's highest grossing original films, then The Good Dinosaur came out five months later and was Pixar's lowest grossing film by an overwhelming margin, and TGD and Solo both had highly publicized BTS issues and middling reviews. I did think Star Wars was untouchable at one time, but in hindsight this performance does have some precedent that wasn't affected nearly as much by audience divisiveness.

I suppose Star Wars fans can still find ways to surprise me, but I find it hard to imagine them collectively carrying out their TLJ grudge all the way through to December next year; at least I hope they don't for their own sake. But even if they do, I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from attempting a more "inoffensive" next installment, as was evidenced by Star Trek Beyond.

I think the main difference there is Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur are original Pixar properties compared to something massive like Star Wars. And as far as reviews. They don't matter to these guys and girls because they were as good as they nearly could be for TLJ. They lost trust and felt betrayed leaving the theater. Like the critics lied to them. That's what I kept reading over and over again.

And as far as holding a grudge, I will be extremely surprised if they just let this go. These people have invested too much in this and are treating it like it's a war.

As someone who is still excited for 9, I think it can be fixed story wise and that there is more to tell. I don't know how Disney and Lucasfilms are going to get the upset fans back on their side though if they stay on this course.

Edited by somebody85

3 hours ago, harrycaul said:

I feel pretty confident the Boba Fett movie will be made.

If for no other reason than Disney must put out at least one Star Wars every year to drive all the toys and theme parks and so on. And this one has a safe director and is announced. 

The Rian Johnson stuff, I lean against ever seeing the light of day. He's a lightning rod and they can fill in with whatever the GOT guys do.

They don't need movies every year to sell toys.  They sold toys for years without any movies out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You is completely added and a total projection they make because they love to do it no ?

Why do they put themselve there, they have seen the many misogynist comments online before I would imagine, they know people like Abrams has seen them and is talking about those people, not about the people that hated what a movie did with the lore or a previous movie setup.

That should be trivial for everyone, I think that it is people that just love it has an hobby to engage in that type of talk and create strawmen to fight it.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-abrams-last-jedi-critics-threatened-by-women/

"For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over. As he told IndieWire, “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”

That's the line they really had a problem with. I was looking for it for a little while.

Fans took a lot of offense to that. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

They don't need movies every year to sell toys.  They sold toys for years without any movies out.

True, star wars was ever the number one franchise in sales in like 2010, Avatar was the main push for Disney park sales last year and the movie is almost 10 year's old.

12 hours ago, somebody85 said:

"For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over. As he told IndieWire, “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”

That's the line they really had a problem with. I was looking for it for a little while.

Fans took a lot of offense to that. 

That make much more sense. Except once you read the hole paragraph:

backlash from some fans regarding the diversity of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Rian Johnson’s film has been controversial for many reasons, however, for some groups of fans, the diversity was the biggest issue as they felt women had overtaken their beloved franchise. For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over

Well he seem to be talking about the backlash regarding diversity, it is certainly not something to fret over or if you ever do, to say otherwise in public (I mean do they expect someone at Disney saying in a interview they will reduce the diversity in their movie to please a Internet backlash about it ?).

Who would suggest to fret over the backlash against diversity ? The most diverse entry of the franchise was probably Awaken, it did the most. The first entry with the white guy did the least. So we could see where he come from with that statement.

And if it is true that the fanbase had such a big reaction to is statement, it does not look good for the diversity has absolutely nothing to do about why they are angry.... they certainly do not act as if.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

But what happens if Luke and even Han appear as ghost will their still be appeal?

People actually want JJ to re correct what happened with Luke. State he was actually force projecting himself onto the island or teleported somewhere else at the end and did not die.

3 hours ago, somebody85 said:

People actually want JJ to re correct what happened with Luke. State he was actually force projecting himself onto the island or teleported somewhere else at the end and did not die.

I agree that he should do this.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I think the main difference there is Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur are original Pixar properties compared to something massive like Star Wars. And as far as reviews. They don't matter to these guys and girls because they were as good as they nearly could be for TLJ. They lost trust and felt betrayed leaving the theater. Like the critics lied to them. That's what I kept reading over and over again.

The BO gross ratio looks like it's going to end up pretty close, though. The fact is I don't think any of us have a reliable metric to determine just how many of TLJ's viewers are among that "betrayed" camp, nor an idea of exactly what could be done to get them back while not losing anyone else. Okay, JJ Abrams might help, but they could certainly turn on him just like they did Lucas. 

However many fans have truly been "lost", I don't think there's a solution to getting Star Wars back over $700 million at the domestic box office simple enough for Disney to stress its finance department over. Just make the film they'd intended to make and hope audiences receive it well.