Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Fans don't know what they want until they see it, no one asked for most of the GOAT films... they just appeared before everyone and it's like damn this is good.

that is how it has seemed for the past two Mission Impossible films.  Each one seems to outperform the previous one in some way, but before it comes out, no one has no idea on how the M: I sequel is going to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Most of the GOAT films arent prequels about a character of the Original  SW Trilogy where the original actor got replaced ;) I know what you mean, but that cant really be applied here.

hmpf maybe you're right

honestly they just need to go hard on Jedi/Sith and have some flashy lightsaber duels with some emotion attached to the final fight.. easy money.

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

The Opening might be bad, but I think the WoM might be decent/prety good. So I do expect some legs, also it's OW is going to be very low OS so it's easier to drops less % wise.

I thought everyone would enjoy Last Jedi but I was clearly very wrong about that so I'm not going to speculate for Solo.

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The whole idea of this movie was just bad. Who the hell asked for a young Han Solo film? No one, not even the biggest SW nerds. If this was the Kenobi Spin-off film we would have much better numbers now imo.

I mean, i love The Last Jedi and i woundt watch this movie even if it was for free. A big failure on Disneys and Lucasfilms part was the awful marketing as well. Not since Justice League (irony) had a tentpole movie such a lack of promotion.

To be honest I would buy that as a satisfying standalone reason If Solo did something like $750-850m. But for this to go so low it needs a.)atrocious marketing as you said and b.)bad reception of the last films/devision on the fanbase and c.)market oversaturation with SW films.

I can guarrantee you that If no one in the world asked for a Han Solo prequel then no one in the whole universe asked for a Newt Scamander spin-off. And If any of the rest movies of FBs does sub 600m I will be the first one to admit that the Harry Potter brand has been damaged.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

Of course TLJ mixed reception isn't helping matters but Solo was NEVER going to do Rogue One numbers because Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. This isn't like comic book characters that are easy to recast and if the film is good people will accept the new actor. Solo is just not a role that you can recast and definitely not with the dude that they hired.

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

The Opening might be bad, but I think the WoM might be decent/prety good. So I do expect some legs, also it's OW is going to be very low OS so it's easier to drops less % wise.

OS, Solo faces another problem very soon:

2aza6v.jpg

Just now, Brainbug said:

OS, Solo faces another problem very soon:

2aza6v.jpg

Yeah I know but my reasoning is this: if you do 18.5k OD in sk, you don't need many showtimes to do 18.5k admission. So even if JW comes and steals 70% of Solo's show, it still could easly do 18.5k admission in only 30% of the current theaters. It openened so low in many countries that it can't really be hurt because it's to small to get hurt. I don't say that JW won't let i drop more than usualy but what I am feeling is like, you can't go much lower than 18k right?

14 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Good morning everyone.  This is truly a sad day for a lot of people. Star Wars was born 

1977.  It was the first one of its kind. I am very saddened by what the fandom has to go through and i couldn’t possibly imagine  seeing the thing you love so dearly crumble before your eyes. But let us remember not all things last forever. At least you’ll always have the memories and the dusty VHS’s to re-experience the said glory. And shall you ever feel down at least remember “at least it’s not as bad as the DCEU”.  

May she Rest In Peace. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8586815&key=ba38e60bfc6

This is proof that the internet is a cancer.

There’s never been a better time to be a Star Wars fan. And yet, we all know that for most people being a Star Wars fan means being a predictable slob who only likes the first 2 OT movies.

Solo was great. WOM will be good. Hopefully Boba Fett will work as a sequel... I have to see these characters again. 

• Like 1

Just now, pepsa said:

Yeah I know but my reasoning is this: if you do 18.5k OD in sk, you don't need many showtimes to do 18.5k admission. So even if JW comes and steals 70% of Solo's show, it still could easly do 18.5k admission in only 30% of the current theaters. It openened so low in many countries that it can't really be hurt because it's to small to get hurt. I don't say that JW won't let i drop more than usualy but what I am feeling is like, you can't go much lower than 18k right?

Low numbers dont automatically mean lower drops as well unfortunately. Ultimately, it comes down to WOM: If there are enough people who see Solo and can convince other people who wanted to skip it that they should see it, the drops could be quite good. The problem is, you need rave reception at this point among fans and the GA to achieve this. Reading the reviews and the opinions on this board from people who have seen it, Solo seems like a "fine" movie - which woundt be enough to convince the doubters (like me) imo.

1 minute ago, DarthPynchon said:

There’s never been a better time to be a Star Wars fan. And yet, we all know that for most people being a Star Wars fan means being a predictable slob who only likes the first 2 OT movies.

Solo was great. WOM will be good. Hopefully Boba Fett will work as a sequel... I have to see these characters again. 

I hope so, I am seeing solo as soon as I can (exams right now, wasting to much time on this forum anyway) so next month I am going to see it and I am actualy lookign forward to it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Of course TLJ mixed reception isn't helping matters but Solo was NEVER going to do Rogue One numbers because Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. This isn't like comic book characters that are easy to recast and if the film is good people will accept the new actor. Solo is just not a role that you can recast and definitely not with the dude that they hired.

This dude was a great Han Solo. He nailed all the mannerisms. 

If people expected Harrison Ford to come back for YA Han, they may be suffering from dumbassitus... in which case they should see their therapist soon.

3 minutes ago, DarthPynchon said:

Denial is always the first step. But it’s okay sweetie. I forgive you. You’re allowed to vent. I’m here for you if you need me in these harsh times. <3 

Just now, Brainbug said:

Low numbers dont automatically mean lower drops as well unfortunately. Ultimately, it comes down to WOM: If there are enough people who see Solo and can convince other people who wanted to skip it that they should see it, the drops could be quite good. The problem is, you need rave reception at this point among fans and the GA to achieve this. Reading the reviews and the opinions on this board from people who have seen it, Solo seems like a "fine" movie - which woundt be enough to convince the doubters (like me) imo.

That is true, I am just saying if people hear it's good it easier to get another 18k people in the theather than let's say another 200k.

Just now, DarthPynchon said:

This dude was a great Han Solo. He nailed all the mannerisms. 

If people expected Harrison Ford to come back for YA Han, they may be suffering from dumbassitus... in which case they should see their therapist soon.

No, people expected Lucas Film to be smart enough to not make a Young Han Solo film. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Quigley said:

So is this gonna beat Pirates 3 or not?

0 chance at potc3's 139.8 4-day (that too after burning off 13.2 on thu non-previews).

120 4-day (~100+~20) will be tough for Solo imo (though not impossible as it's early right now).

Edited by A2k Raptor