Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think there are a ton of factors as to why Solo flopped but I read an article by a blogger I follow and she brought up a good point. After discussing a multitude of factors (like it being an average movie, the marketing sucking, TLJ etc) she brought up affordability. Going to the movies isn't cheap. I guess as a student, I don't feel the financial burden of it. But she mentioned how when you have so many movies aimed at the same demo, it soaks up a lot of the market. I know I laughed at Disney blaming Infinity War and Deadpool 2 but it is something to consider. Not just in terms of finances but in terms of time too. Not everyone likes going to the theaters 3-4 times in one month. But she mentioned how MoviePass has the right idea and she thinks it's in the best interest of theaters going forward to implement something similar.

She concluded by saying that summer of 2019 will be the year where theaters/and studios finally see this because she thinks there's going to be several movies that bomb given the schedule despite them being well received. 

I dont know if i 100% agree with her but I do believe it's something to consider. As she put it: Deadpool 2 was a fender bender but Solo was driven off the course....just wait for the pile ups to continue. 

That makes no sense. Look at every summer ever. 

The schedule is also very dead. So many dead weeks this summer. 

Yes, hindsight, but there are precedents for sequels to breakout movies like Deadpool dropping. 

And, really, Solo deserves what it's getting. It's clearly not very good either, so this is just overanalysis to a simple problem.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, John Marston said:

All articles are just blaming the release date or “fatigue”. Ignoring one of the main factors. TLJ

Probably because SOLO doing poorly has much more to do with a dull marketing campaign, poor release date and an uninteresting concept that’s best early reactions said “it’s fine but check your expectations at the door”.  The fact that Disney has focused much more marketing on their tentpoles surrounding it than the movie itself, overshadowing their own blockbuster to highlight TI2 and IW.

It’s the first Star Wars movie where people didn’t even care about spoilers.  

Prior to TLJ even releasing there were people saying “super hyped for TLJ, but really don’t care about Solo.  I may skip it”

Maybe TLJ’s controversy didn’t help Solo, but it’s definitely not the main reason that movie bombed.  The people boycotting Star Wars at most made up a few million at the BO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As you have pointed out, fans didn't mind when high scores was given to TFA and Rogue one, and in fact, fans in general are with critics even on prequel too, Ep3 was generally regarded as the best among prequel by both fans and critics. 

Why is the disconnection suddenly grew so huge when come to TLJ? I am not sure who is right and no point of arguing who is right....

The Force Awakens was a reboot movie, it was the time to play it completely safe after the prequels and 10 years of no Star Wars.  TFA also came out right before the rise of a certain someone in politics, meaning it snuck in right before it became fashionable to blame your movie's problems on bigots(Ghostbuster's was the first big one).  They made a competent retro movie with a cliffhanger promising the triumphant return of the OT's main character.  I didn't mind TFA and still don't.

Rogue One had its detractors(including me), but it wasn't seen as bad or polarizing enough to elicit any kind of passionate feelings among most people it seems.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Is Han Solo the JL of 2018? 

I'd guess it's closer to the lone ranger of 2018. Justice league made roughly twice as much worldwide as it cost.  Lone ranger on mojo is 215/261, probably close to what solo's ratio will end up being.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

As ridiculous as the Forbes article is, you can find some data in this weekend’s numbers that partially support some of what he is saying. The five best holds in the Top 10 this weekend all belong to female led films.

Book Club: -8%

Life of the Party: -9%

Breaking In: -16%

Overboard: -7%

RBG: +24%

Sure, Solo and Deadpool both grossed more than all five of those films combined this weekend. Still, female led films (and co-led films if you count AQP which was -24%) had a remarkable weekend, worthy of an article all on their own. Tales of female box office firepower will only increase during the next couple of weeks.

Overboard is making that money mostly based on it's male lead and because it's appealing to the Mexican Hispanic market.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BK007 said:

That makes no sense. Look at every summer ever. 

The schedule is also very dead. So many dead weeks this summer. 

Yes, hindsight, but there are precedents for sequels to breakout movies like Deadpool dropping. 

And, really, Solo deserves what it's getting. It's clearly not very good either, so this is just overanalysis to a simple problem.

How does it not make any sense? It makes perfect sense when you consider that you've got 3 movies targeting the same demo all coming out within a month of one another. Believe it or not, not everyone has an indispensable income that they can use to watch movies. Not everyone likes to go to the movies several times a month. And yes that means folks will make choices as to what they want to watch in theaters and what they'll wait for. 

You dont see this happening when films that have different demos come out close together but when they're targeting the same demo, yes you're going to see movies suffer as a result. And I didn't say that it was the ONLY reason why Solo suffered. Reading comprehension is key. I said it could be one of the factors to consider. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

So I was browsing through BOM and this caught my eye. This seems like a disastrous BO performance to me if you compare WW gross relative to Budget. But I don't see people talking about this in the list of Bombs. It's not even called a Flop, just a disappointment. Can somebody explain this to me why it's not considered a Disaster?

MV5BNzY2ZDQ2MTctYzlhOC00MWJhLTgxMmItMDgz
Superman Returns

Domestic Total Gross: $200,081,192
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: June 28, 2006
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 34 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Production Budget: $270 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $200,081,192    51.2%
Foreign:  $191,000,000    48.8%

Worldwide:  $391,081,192  

5 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

So I was browsing through BOM and this caught my eye. This seems like a disastrous BO performance to me if you compare WW gross relative to Budget. But I don't see people talking about this in the list of Bombs. It's not even called a Flop, just a disappointment. Can somebody explain this to me why it's not considered a Disaster?

Superman Returns

Total Lifetime Grosses

Probably because so few people even remember that this movie exists. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

How does it not make any sense? It makes perfect sense when you consider that you've got 3 movies targeting the same demo all coming out within a month of one another. Believe it or not, not everyone has an indispensable income that they can use to watch movies. And yes that means folks will make choices as to what they want to watch.  

You dont see this happening when films that have different demos come out close together but when they're targeting the same demo, yes you're going to see movies suffer as a result. And I didn't say that it was the ONLY reason why Solo suffered. Reading comprehension is key. I said it could be one of the factors to consider. 

Deadpool 2 isn't a family movie, so the budgeting issue (which really is for families who spend a 100$ a blockbuster) doesn't really come into play and IW at this point is a month old. I'm not sure the budgeting argument makes sense for a star wars movie - for a run of the mill action blockbuster like rampage? Sure, people would rather skip rampage coz they want to watch IW next week. But Star Wars is an event, families prepare their plans weeks if not months before (at least for the OW). The biggest factor is the lack of buzz. These pseudo economics arguments don't really make a lot of sense.

That 4 day Book Club number is over $600K above estimates and puts the film about -4% from its 3 day OW. It should reach a 3.0 multiplier on Friday or Saturday, which is amazingly fast. Those four ladies are in for a long run and will soak up most of the O8 spillover starting in 10 days.

Edited by LonePirate

15 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

Deadpool 2 isn't a family movie, so the budgeting issue (which really is for families who spend a 100$ a blockbuster) doesn't really come into play and IW at this point is a month old. I'm not sure the budgeting argument makes sense for a star wars movie - for a run of the mill action blockbuster like rampage? Sure, people would rather skip rampage coz they want to watch IW next week. But Star Wars is an event, families prepare their plans weeks if not months before (at least for the OW). The biggest factor is the lack of buzz. These pseudo economics arguments don't really make a lot of sense.

Did I say Deadpool 2 was a family movie though? I did not. But you'd be fooling yourself if you didn't actually think there was a cross in audience between IW, DP2 and Solo. 

And thanks for bringing up how much it costs a family to go to the theaters. If a family spent $100 at Infinity War, they're not going to spend another $100 for Han Solo a month later with the thought that they'd be spending another $100 less than a month later for Incredibles 2. That's $300 in less than two months on just movies alone with the summer barely starting. 

And again yea a month time isnt that long of a time period. But not everyone likes to go to the theaters several times a month and not everyone has the money to spend $50 (assuming theyre single) at the theaters in a month. Yea I spent $50 to see IW, DP2 and Han Solo just for myself. And that's not including any snacks. But again I love movies. It's why I'm on this forum. And I fortunately don't have other financial burdens to consider so spending that $50 wasn't a big deal. 

This is a concept that for some reason doesn't click in the minds for folks on this forum (myself included) for who knows what reason but @TwoMisfits will be the first to tell you (as she has a family) that everything I've stated is something to consider and that yes most families actually do have to pick and choose which movies they plan to go to since movies aren't cheap. And I imagine it's the same for individuals who are on a budget. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Superman Returns

Total Lifetime Grosses

TBF I think about $70m of that budget was from previous failed Superman movies that got tagged onto the budget - like Nick Cage's $20m pay or play deal.   Yes, Cage got paid 20x more not to play Superman than Routh got to play him. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

As ridiculous as the Forbes article is, you can find some data in this weekend’s numbers that partially support some of what he is saying. The five best holds in the Top 10 this weekend all belong to female led films.

Book Club: -8%

Life of the Party: -9%

Breaking In: -16%

Overboard: -7%

RBG: +24%

Sure, Solo and Deadpool both grossed more than all five of those films combined this weekend. Still, female led films (and co-led films if you count AQP which was -24%) had a remarkable weekend, worthy of an article all on their own. Tales of female box office firepower will only increase during the next couple of weeks.

22 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Overboard is making that money mostly based on it's male lead and because it's appealing to the Mexican Hispanic market.

I know you told the sports events do not impact usually, but is there a chance that the 30-40% higher TV audience counts for Monday's sports (in comparison to the usual counts for those kind of conferences) might skew the BO for the females and point out the over-average cinema audience - in relation to the population - Hispanic part?

42 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Force Awakens was a reboot movie, it was the time to play it completely safe after the prequels and 10 years of no Star Wars.  TFA also came out right before the rise of a certain someone in politics, meaning it snuck in right before it became fashionable to blame your movie's problems on bigots(Ghostbuster's was the first big one).  They made a competent retro movie with a cliffhanger promising the triumphant return of the OT's main character.  I didn't mind TFA and still don't.

Rogue One had its detractors(including me), but it wasn't seen as bad or polarizing enough to elicit any kind of passionate feelings among most people it seems.

Also this movie had moments that appealed very strongly to the fanbase.

Vader's Mask

Han Solo Returning

Rey Giving Luke The Lightsaber

Epic Lightsaber Fight

Vader and Empire Stuff in RO

Vader going full Rampage

Ending of the film tying into ANH Directly.

TLJ did not really have these moments really at all and even it did they had moments that really diminished them. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

If you're going to blame "TOO MUCH COMPETITION" as the reason for Solo bombing, that's your viewpoint.  It's half-nonsense, but that's your viewpoint.

Just remember it was Lucasfilm's choice to put Solo here and not somewhere else.  Nobody held a gun to their head and said Memorial Day or nothing.  So if the competition sunk it, this was the ultimate self inflicted wound.