Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

4 minutes ago, REC said:

If you're going to blame "TOO MUCH COMPETITION" as the reason for Solo bombing, that's your viewpoint.  It's half-nonsense, but that's your viewpoint.

Just remember it was Lucasfilm's choice to put Solo here and not somewhere else.  Nobody held a gun to their head and said Memorial Day or nothing.  So if the competition sunk it, this was the ultimate self inflicted wound.

It's almost as if there's usually more than one reason as to why a movie bombs :thinking: But please go on and talk about TLJ some more and how that could be the only possible reason as to why Solo bombed. We only need to hear about it for another 50 pages. 

And yes them putting Solo in the MDW is self inflicted (they should have released it in December) just as much as Fox putting Deadpool 2 (should have released it in August) where it was is self inflicted as well. They made their beds and they can sleep in it. And again I'm not saying it's the only reason. I'm saying it's something to consider. And I'm also not saying that suddenly Solo was going to see a 100% bump but it'd be completely different if the movie opened in December where it could rely on holiday legs. In the summer it can't develop legs oh right because of "competition" and the next movies opening ;) But that's a risk studios take when they release their films in the summer. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Out of curiosity:

how many pages managed the biggest 4-day weekend to get (4day so not counting the long x-mas/new years eve combis that can happen)

Take away the "TLJ is to blame for this movie bombing" talk and you'd probably be under 100 pages. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I know you told the sports events do not impact usually, but is there a chance that the 30-40% higher TV audience counts for Monday's sports (in comparison to the usual counts for those kind of conferences) might skew the BO for the females and point out the over-average cinema audience - in relation to the population - Hispanic part?

Nah. Look at Overboard's Sat. If they did, the UCL final would have dented it. Not only is the game in the afternoon, it'd involve alcohol that goes on for the rest of the day (we had a post-game bbq until 3 am)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Take away the "TLJ is to blame for this movie bombing" talk and you'd probably be under 100 pages. 

I am doing a kind of a compile list of the reasons given in this thread so I guess I can say: I know.

A very long post incoming when I reworded it a bit ...

I am asking not for that reason btw ;)

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's almost as if there's usually more than one reason as to why a movie bombs :thinking: But please go on and talk about TLJ some more and how that could be the only possible reason as to why Solo bombed. We only need to hear about it for another 50 pages. 

And yes them putting Solo in the MDW is self inflicted (they should have released it in December) just as much as Fox putting Deadpool 2 (should have released it in August) where it was is self inflicted as well. They made their beds and they can sleep in it. And again I'm not saying it's the only reason. I'm saying it's something to consider. And I'm also not saying that suddenly Solo was going to see a 100% bump but it'd be completely different if the movie opened in December where it could rely on holiday legs. In the summer it can't develop legs oh right because of "competition" and the next movies opening ;) But that's a risk studios take when they release their films in the summer. 

Actually I think the #1 reason it didn't work is even more simple:  It's not essential to see.  There's no real reason for this movie, and no compelling reason to go check it out.  If it was non-essential but really really good, they might have had something.  But they had maybe the worst combination of all:  non-essential and mediocre.

TFA, TLJ, IW and BP by comparison were essential viewing to many moviegoers.

Edited by REC

24 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

That 4 day Book Club number is over $600K above estimates and puts the film about -4% from its 3 day OW. It should reach a 3.0 multiplier on Friday or Saturday, which is amazingly fast. Those four ladies are in for a long run and will soak up most of the O8 spillover starting in 10 days.

I still have this doing over a 4x, but the TC drop on June 15 is going to be gigantic. Any theater with less than 14 screens not in a metro area is going to dump it. This is what I can see my 12plex looking like that weekend:

Incredibles x4

Ocean's x2 (could see the extra screen here or Incredibles' fourth being dropped to keep IW)

Tag

SuperFly

Hereditary

Hotel Artemis

Solo

Deadpool

13plexes are going to opt to keep Infinity War over Book Club as well given it's Fathers Day weekend.

1 minute ago, Kraken said:

Nah. Look at Overboard's Sat. If they did, the UCL final would have dented it. Not only is the game in the afternoon, it'd involve alcohol that goes on for the rest of the day (we had a post-game bbq until 3 am)

I did include the Hispanic aspect (as they go over the average to the cinema) for that reason.

As in MAYBE the non-sport fans 'flee' the sport fans.

The ones that do flee, pick what they usually prefer - means the females skewing get more and the Hispanic get more (out of the Hispanics that o not like sport)

Just an idea as the sport audience increased this time so strongly plus the examples given

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

TBF I think about $70m of that budget was from previous failed Superman movies that got tagged onto the budget - like Nick Cage's $20m pay or play deal.   Yes, Cage got paid 20x more not to play Superman than Routh got to play him. :lol:

More, pretty sure it was over 100M tacked on lmao

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

I understand Deadpool being hurt because it lost IMAX and PLF to Solo right away but how his this release date disadvantageous to Solo in any way?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

With Solo and the deceiving result of some park attendance news it finally did show it seem, -2% today.

Roseanne got cancelled too, some ppl afraid of ~ reactions by TV GA?

In theory it should not have an impact, but as a certain ... 'someone' tweeted then a congrats to the show ppl I wouldn't be surprised if that plays into it too (like a small%)

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Roseanne got cancelled too, some ppl afraid of ~ reactions by TV GA?

In theory it should not have an impact, but as a certain ... 'someone' tweeted then a congrats to the show ppl I wouldn't be surprised if that plays into it too (like a small%)

And people say Disney is worse than Fox :lol:

Seriously, Iger has some cajones.  That was quick.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, REC said:

Actually I think the #1 reason it didn't work is even more simple:  It's not essential to see. 

It did feel like that and I wonder how related to the new movie universe that emotion is, A Quiet Place was not essential to see for the bigger thing of anything.

Because the movie do not seem to feed the movie universe in a significant way (and rapidly look like will not spawn sequel), it does seem now essential to see because it is just one closed movie. That not something that would make sense before, no movie ever was essential or not.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1