Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Roseanne cancellation is pretty nuts. I hadn't even seen the tweet yet when I read the news. They reacted fast. Pretty shocked they would cancel the whole show with how successful it was. That's definitely sending a message. Though part of me feels it's unfair to the rest of the cast and everyone who enjoys the characters. And Roseanne on the show has always been a character, that finale season flopped so hard because it was the first time she was basically just portraying her wacko self instead of the character. I wish they would have done something like a massive pay cut for Barr herself. Though then she may have ducked out so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. 

The only other thing they could have done is kill her off but they might not have been contractually able if she partially own the show.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Roseanne cancellation is pretty nuts. I hadn't even seen the tweet yet when I read the news. They reacted fast. Pretty shocked they would cancel the whole show with how successful it

They almost certainly had a PR plan in place for this maybe with reaction already written (the message in that tweet is very generic) , really not a surprise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Wow, Infinity War came healthily over estimates. This movie has some real fight left in it. The next few weeks should be very favorable to it until Incredibles 2 debuts.

Almost certainly including the weekend Incredibles opens. Gonna have strong drive in double features for those two at least for that week. 

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

They almost certainly had a PR plan in place for this maybe with reaction already written (the message in that tweet is very generic) , really not a surprise.

True. If they were smart they would have made her contractually agree to abandon Twitter for the duration of the reboot back when this all started coming together. 

back in the 90s you could be a batshit insane lady with a tv show it could last 9 seasons because who even cares or knows about these things, but now twitter's here to let everyone broadcast their crazy daily.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

back in the 90s you could be a batshit insane lady with a tv show it could last 9 seasons because who even cares or knows about these things, but now twitter's here to let everyone broadcast their crazy daily.

I mean, idk, she literally gave a giant middle finger to the entire country of America on national TV and it didn't have any real repercussions for her in the industry. People just didn't care that much back then. "PC" wasn't even a thing yet, let alone SJWs and whatnot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oMeriMombatti said:

So I was browsing through BOM and this caught my eye. This seems like a disastrous BO performance to me if you compare WW gross relative to Budget. But I don't see people talking about this in the list of Bombs. It's not even called a Flop, just a disappointment. Can somebody explain this to me why it's not considered a Disaster?

MV5BNzY2ZDQ2MTctYzlhOC00MWJhLTgxMmItMDgz
Superman Returns

Domestic Total Gross: $200,081,192
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: June 28, 2006
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 34 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Production Budget: $270 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $200,081,192    51.2%
Foreign:  $191,000,000    48.8%

Worldwide:  $391,081,192  

The inflated budget because of year's of development hells is a major reason, it recouped quite easily the actual cost of doing the actual movie I would imagine.

An other reason is 2002-2007 was a different time.

Supermans returns is still in the top 10 ww of that year and was probably still not much more expensive than a Mission Impossible 3 giving a 30% first dollar gross to Tom Cruise with access to 100% of the video's revenues.

2006 is maybe in the most profitable moment in Hollywood history, the peak of the dvd bubble, just before the 2007-2008 financial crisis, when talky 0 special effect Rom-Com type were made for 140m gross budget.

Movies around that time could easily make 170% of their world box office in revenues, the Movie Hitch for example:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hitch.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $179,495,555    48.8%
Foreign:  $188,604,865    51.2%

Worldwide:  $368,100,420  

Made 489.36 million in revenues, with a significantly smaller domestic run and without any merchandise sales.

If Superman made a similar ratio revenues/box office ratio than Hitch it would have made around 520m in revenues and probably turned a profit depending of people participation bonus structure or at least not that terrible of a lost (in either case not something you make a sequel giving the reception too).

That why a movie like Batman Begin was a giant success at the time (374m at the box office on a 150m production budget and a record 100m domestic release budget) and X-Men first class a big one (350m WW BO on a 140-160m type budget probably bigger than that in reality), revenues / box office ratio were quite different, at the time doubling your budget was not a trule of thumb about breaking even bar, it was a rule of thumb of when you started to be considered a true good financial success bar.

You can have some impression here:

total-film-revenues-20111.png

Has you see since 2006 total revenues adjusted for inflation in the industry didn't necessarily change much even too world box office exploded literally doubling in the 2000 decade, that because the other bar diminished at the same rate the world box office bar raised. Around 2006, the other after theatrical was significantly more than the double of the theatrical part, today it is less than the double.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

True. If they were smart they would have made her contractually agree to abandon Twitter for the duration of the reboot back when this all started coming together. 

Would not surprise me if she would have refused / was part of the marketing.

But would not surprise me if they had a morality/scandal type close that did let them cancel the show for a smaller penalty or nothing if she crossed a certain bar they just used.

The funny thing is Roseanne of today is a massively successful network show and likely one of the most popular networks shows in a while.

So really Rosanne really just ruined a pretty great thing for herself.

I think she is crazy because if she did care about her politics, her TV Show was doing its job of having an 'alternative' viewpoint out there.

Such a silly person. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

#BringBackRoseanne

I am sure how really?

Netflix and Amazon wont touch it due to the crazy person behind it.

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The funny thing is Roseanne of today is a massively successful network show and likely one of the most popular networks shows in a while.

So really Rosanne really just ruined a pretty great thing for herself.

I think she is crazy because if she did care about her politics, her TV Show was doing its job of having an 'alternative' viewpoint out there.

Such a silly person. 

She probably thought if the President can crazy tweet and still keep his job... forgetting it's far easier to fire a sitcom actor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I am sure how really?

It's not coming back. Too many people working on the show have said they quit (I believe even some of the cast members) and she was dropped by her agency. 

#ByeFelicia 

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I am sure how really?

I'm kidding, I don't even know what her show is about

Just the latest moron to hang themselves on social media imo