Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

AOTC had worse but ROTS went up. Empire had great reception, but Jedi went up. Quality means nothing in the SW universe.

Solo has not dropped so bad because of quality, its dropped because its pointless and internationally because its pointless and no one cares about Han Solo.

Times are changing, these SW movies won't be behaving like the previous trilogies. RotJ and RotS had a hook and some bonuses, Ep 9 has nothing, so it won't increase.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Just now, GirafficPark said:

You didnt rebutt it, you made a claim, I rejected it. A rebuttal implies you had authority of accuracy, which you don't have, you only have an opinion.

That’s fine, but it’s opinion backed by historical trends. ESB is widely considered the best SW film, AOTC is widely considered one of the worst. This is not my opinion, it’s collective consensus. What is your argument then for why ESB is the only middle installment to not drop huge (comparing first runs) but the other two did? 

56 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

How do you mischaracterise characters that had such 2D characterisation?

clearly millions upon millions of people liked the characters. me and plenty of others find them very 3d and fleshed out, but frankly even if you don't, "2d" characters are even easier to mischaracterize. they have less substance so you only have to do a few things wrong to get them wrong. rian managed to get the most basic things about the main characters (finn, rey, poe, and kylo) wrong.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess I’m confused about what you’re trying to argue here at this point? Yes I know FOTR and TTT both had incredible reception, hence the increase. I’m saying TLJ dropped hard because of the reception. What exactly are you saying?

Im saying SW follows a pattern, regardless of quality, other franchises do not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

So youre ignoring the other 2 SW trilogies.. AGAIN. Keep it up, there is another 18 months to go until you are proven wrong.

108M - proves how weak the Star Wars brand has become. Even though it’s not part of the episodes it’s still to low of a number to ignore. TLJ truly did some heavy damage. 

Also movie trends aren’t reliable. Shall I remind you how everyone expected IW to do lower than Ultron because of:

TA>Ultron>CW

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

You didnt rebutt it, you made a claim, I rejected it. A rebuttal implies you had authority of accuracy, which you don't have, you only have an opinion.

Can you say where EP9 will increase? And do you expect an as big rebouwned like ROTS?

Just now, water said:

clearly millions upon millions of people liked the characters. me and plenty of others find them very 3d and fleshed out, but frankly even if you don't, "2d" characters are even easier to mischaracterize. they have less substance so you only have to do a few things wrong to get them wrong. rian managed to get the most basic things about the main characters (finn, rey, poe, and kylo) wrong.

How did he? They were pretty much in line with expectations for me. The only one not so obvious was Poe, but only because in TFA he wasnt even 2D, so anything was possible.

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

108M - proves how weak the Star Wars brand has become. Even though it’s not part of the episodes it’s still to low of a number to ignore. TLJ truly did some heavy damage. 

Also movie trends aren’t reliable. Shall I remind you how everyone expected IW to do lower than Ultron because of:

TA>Ultron>CW

Clone Wars took $35M total..

No one sane expected IW to be below Ultron.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm so (not) looking forward to these arguments dominating every weekend thread for the next 19 months.

Eh, I’m over it at this point. Why bother arguing when the numbers are speaking for themselves? If some still want to deny it, that’s fine they can go round and round on their own. Clear to me nothing will convince certain people.

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Can you say where EP9 will increase? And do you expect an as big rebouwned like ROTS?

+20-25% is likely. Nearer 20% I suspect. It will increase because its the last in the trilogy and (for some reason) people will trust Abrams.

TLJ dropping from TFA was pretty much a given. TFA was the 1st good SW movie in 30 years for many people and it's hype before release was anyways insane. When the 1st movie in the trilogy does 2B ... it's really hard to top it. Maybe 35% drop is a bit extreme but 25% was expected, so comparing it to LOTR trilogy doesn't make any sense because 1st movie in that trilogy didn't reach it's peak. Also ROTK dropped from FOTR OS in admissions but the exchange rates were so good that it increased in dollars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

TA>Ultron>CW

The U.S is particularly kind to solo, this is turning to one of the biggest debacles ever overseas when taking everything into account.

I have to confess I went to the multiplex to watch solo yesterday and I ended up..,watching IW for a fifth time :P. IW became an obsession, what the hell ?:kitschjob:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, I’m over it at this point. Why bother arguing when the numbers are speaking for themselves? If some still want to deny it, that’s fine they can go round and round on their own. Clear to me nothing will convince certain people.

The n8umbers say the opposite of what you think because you arent looking at the right ones. Solos numbers are irrelevant to the episodes. I guess TFA should have failed because Clone Wars took so little? People seem to forget about Clone Wars (waits for the excuses).

• Haha 1