Water Bottle

One Movie from Each Country

glad you liked Letter Never Sent! the cinematography there is really some of the best of all time - I still legitimately don't know how they filmed some of the sequences - and Criterion's release does it justice (unfortunately it's one of only few Russian films to get that level of release, and even then only thanks to Francis Ford Coppola). Well-observed about the actors' presences, too. Regarding propaganda, there are seeds of it there, notably in the opening title crawl, but thankfully in the moment it cares much more about just being a pure survival movie, obviously for the best.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Saneamento Básico (Basic Sanitation: The Movie)

Budget: Unknown

Box Office: R$1,066,051

N/A Rotten Tomatoes

Critics Consensus: N/A

Recommended by @Goffe

This is a 2007  Brazilian film made that seems to have gotten a theatrical release in Brazil only. I also went into this blind: I knew it was a comedy and that it was on Netflix. Since it was an easy find and it was free, I picked it for that reason. 

If you want to check it out:

It's on Netlfix in the US

There is no extra reading material to tell you more about the film as far as I can tell.

Review:

There Will be Spoilers

A comedy is often judged on how funny it is but when it comes to foreign comedies, that can in the end be a very difficult proposition. A lot of comedy can be universal: I think it's why for the longest time a classic comedy gag was a guy slipping on some item. People falling down is inherently funny a lot of times. Then there's other humor that utilizes language (we call this "wit") or builds upon specific knowledge of a society or custom. The first part means that if a movie is in another language, it's easy to see why even with subtitles you can lose a lot of wit in the translation simply because we don't always say the same thing the same way in every language. 

For instance, in this movie, there's a joke involving the word "sleeper" because the Portuguese word for it apparently sounds too much like something else. But the joke doesn't work at all unless you are familiar with the Portuguese language. Is it funny? I don't know. The other part, the part that builds upon specific knowledge, can date a movie in it's domestic audience but it can also lead to moments that don't translate when you aren't from there. I think there's some jokes that I simply didn't register as jokes or I didn't really get in this movie for that reason. Some jokes will simply be lost in translation.

But the good news is the movie does have enough universal comedy to keep it going. There's some things that are going to be funny regardless of what you know or what language you speak. Some of it is physical but some of it is dialogue that makes jokes that anybody should be able to get. For instance the confusion of the characters when they are put on the spot on whether they plan to edit the movie or not. That joke is funny because it exposes how unplanned the whole short film, how over their head the characters are, and how basic part of filmmaking it is that most people know what editing a movie means.

So if I must judge this movie as a comedy, I'd say it succeeds at making me laugh more than it doesn't. But it's hard to give it a proper appraisal when I'm also going in not being able to get some of the jokes. That was a risk I knew going in though and it's probably why you won't see many comedies on this project in the future. Some, sure, but not many.

• Like 1