SLAM!

Searching over $100M in China

After watching the international trailer, I think the new John Cho film, Searching, will be successful enough in China to do over $100M in that country alone. Here's a rundown of pros and cons:

Pros

-The film looks to be a unique and engaging thriller that could certainly entice audiences.

- John Cho's character and his family being of the Asian ethnicity will ensure that the main characters feel relatable to the audience in China.

- The film has already garnered festival prestige.

Cons

- China largely follows their own actors, John Cho is not a chinese star, and this is not a Chinese production.

- The film might need excellent word of mouth. Judging from the quality of the film, that may not be an issue.

- Small scale films have a small scale at the box office until proven otherwise. I guess.

I figured this would be a good way to judge how a smaller non-Chinese film could gross in China if casted correctly. It could say a lot about the market.

IN

Slambros

OUT

Edited by Slambros
  • ...wtf 1

This just isn't the kind film that makes big numbers in China (or anywhere really), and the whole "it has an Asian looking person so it will do well in china" sounds like a strange American perspective of the world to me with no basis in reality. Chinese people have their own stars from their own movie industry that they care about, they don't need random Americans from Korea.

I doubt this even gets released, and if it does it would be one of those small scale buyout ones that won't make $10M much less $100M.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tower said:

This just isn't the kind film that makes big numbers in China (or anywhere really), and the whole "it has an Asian looking person so it will do well in china" sounds like a strange American perspective of the world to me with no basis in reality. Chinese people have their own stars from their own movie industry that they care about, they don't need random Americans from Korea.

I doubt this even gets released, and if it does it would be one of those small scale buyout ones that won't make $10M much less $100M.

You have a great point. Donnie Yen helped Rogue One, while Kelly Marie Tran didn't help The Last Jedi. I'll add that to the top of the cons.