baumer

The Top 100 Movie Lines of all Time as chosen by you, the members (on hold till end of summer)

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Why would you send in non English lines. 

Many of my favorite movie lines come from Tarkovsky movies, one I often come back to being: 

My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do I want?

From Stalker. I hardly think that an 'esoteric' movie. 

I will laugh heartily if I'm criticized in one list for being too mainstream, and another for being too 'out there'. There really is a serious lack of consistency in the way people seem to let others express themselves in this place. 

I expected better of you @baumer:whosad: 

• Like 1

Okay, other than pushing the Casablanca classic line...if this skit doesn't end up in the Top 10, it's a travesty...it was done many times and a few times in movies, but The Naughty Nineties has the best version:)...everyone knows it, everyone has no idea why they know it, but it's been ripped off by comedians everywhere for decades upon decades...

"Abbott: Oh yes, yes, yes...Oh yes, absolutely. Yes, now, on the St. Louis team, we have Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third...

Costello: That's what I want to find out. I want you to tell me the names of the fellas on the St. Louis team.

Abbott: I'm telling ya. Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third. (Here's the main line, if we need just one:)...

Costello: You don't know the fella's name?

Abbott: Yes."

http://www.filmsite.org/whosonfirst.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_on_First%3F

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Many of my favorite movie lines come from Tarkovsky movies, one I often come back to being: 

I will laugh heartily if I'm criticized in one list for being too mainstream, and another for being too 'out there'. There really is a serious lack of consistency in the way people seem to let others express themselves in this place. 

But you said you would send in a foreign language.  And if you are sending a foreign language, the chances of more than 1 or 2 people seeing that movie are slight.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, other than pushing the Casablanca classic line...if this skit doesn't end up in the Top 10, it's a travesty...it was done many times and a few times in movies, but The Naughty Nineties has the best version:)...everyone knows it, everyone has no idea why they know it, but it's been ripped off by comedians everywhere for decades upon decades...

"Abbott: Oh yes, yes, yes...Oh yes, absolutely. Yes, now, on the St. Louis team, we have Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third...

Costello: That's what I want to find out. I want you to tell me the names of the fellas on the St. Louis team.

Abbott: I'm telling ya. Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third. (Here's the main line, if we need just one:)...

Costello: You don't know the fella's name?

Abbott: Yes."

http://www.filmsite.org/whosonfirst.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_on_First%3F

This isn't about skits, though, it's about movie lines.....singular.  That line you have there would be a good one, as long as you don't send in the rest of the skit.  :sparta:

• Like 2

It's a great line, but how many people have actually seen that film or will actually have that line, in it's native tongue on the list.

So sure, send in whatever movie line you want, and have the translated version of it, please.  But you know it's not going to make the list.  Unless Tele or Goffe or someone else sends in the same thing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But you said you would send in a foreign language. 

No. Go and re-read my question. I asked whether you wanted the line as delivered (e.g. untranslated) or the translation. I was asking for clarification of rules, not telling you what I intended to do. 

A further question if you're asking us to translate the line into English if I include "Hasta la vista, baby" - Terminator 2, do you want that to be included as "Goodbye, baby"? 

I just want to make sure there is clarity as I don't want a repeat of the last thread where I had to defend my list across several pages because the rules were not clear. 

• Haha 1

No. Go and re-read my question. I asked whether you wanted the line as delivered (e.g. untranslated) or the translation. I was asking for clarification of rules, not telling you what I intended to do. 

A further question if you're asking us to translate the line into English if I include "Hasta la vista, baby" - Terminator 2, do you want that to be included as "Goodbye, baby"? 

I just want to make sure there is clarity as I don't want a repeat of the last thread where I had to defend my list across several pages because the rules were not clear. 

Come on man.  You're making this so much more difficult than it needs to be.  

Hasta la Vista, baby is a legit movie line from an English speaking Hollywood blockbuster, uttered by one of the biggest movie stars of all time.  What do you think the answer to your question is?

Aliens and T2 have about 20 lines each...

This list is pretty hard to do I have to say, I would find it easier if had a list of the famous lines then I filter through those and chose my favourites.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Aliens and T2 have about 20 lines each

And our original list that we chose from in 2013 probably had all 20 lines each submitted for consideration.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I think it's probably the result of 3 decades in law, but I'm a stickler for details as you know baumer. I just wanted to make sure. If me asking for consistency is such a big problem, I apologize. 

I'll submit my quotes in both English and as said on screen and you can decide per your own criteria which one to include. Hopefully that will prevent any of the drama that my last list caused. 

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Aliens and T2 have about 20 lines each...

I may end up listing about 30 Jim lines as they're the films I've seen the most and love the most and lots are iconic.

This list is pretty hard to do I have to say, I would find it easier if had a list of the famous lines then I filter through those and chose my favourites.

Game over, man. Game over!

I miss Bill Paxton. So many quotable lines from Aliens. 

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

And you could have told that to Panda and the rest of the cabal that demanded I explain in explicit detail my own process of what I based my opinion on, while everyone else got a free ride. 

Is there a limit to lines per movie?  I feel like Life of Brian, Holy Grail, Mean Girls, Princess Bride, Ferris Bueller, Lebowski, etc. could figuratively fill whole lists themselves.

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Is there a limit to lines per movie?  I feel like Life of Brian, Holy Grail, Mean Girls, Princess Bride, Ferris Bueller, Lebowski, etc. could figuratively fill whole lists themselves.

You can submit whatever you want.

3 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Can we have multiple movie lines from the same movie?

Absolutely!  

Check out the first post, it has the top 100 lines from 2013 when we did this.  There are several movies with multiple lines in the top 100.

• Like 1