Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

Jing Wu vs Paul Smith, Kenji Tanigaki, and Andy On | "Street Fighters" sequence

Fatal Contact (2006)

Alternative title: Underground Fighter

EYhwXYG.jpg

lGYfFuD.jpg

China (Cantonese)

GW0OIIE.gif

Directed by: Dennis Law

Fight Choreography: Chung Chi Li, Jack Wai-Leung Wong

Starring: Jing Wu, Ronald Cheng, Miki Yeung

Box office: N/A

Synopsis: A young man learns the fighting techniques of Sanda from a coach. The two become best friends as the young man prepares to enter an underground tournament, competing against some of the top fighters of the world.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

I must say, this movie surprised me quite a bit with its rather simplistic but character-focused story. If it weren't for a weird 3rd act, I would have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, when you watch the most successful Chinese movie of all-time, Wolf Warrior 2, you might be left wondering whether Jing Wu's ex-military, Rambo-like character is truly the badass the story makes him to be. I mean, the movie makes a pretty good case for it as he does kick lots of ass, but Fatal Contact just proves it beyond the slightest doubt for the rare, still uncertain ones out there.

Apparently the kick above wasn't performed using wires. Also apparently, only Jing Wu can do this.

Onto the movie, the ending didn't work for me (too heavy-handed) but I enjoyed the story regardless.

The fight choreography is legendary! One of the main reasons why you should watch this movie. Fights are so consistently good throughout! Jing Wu truly stands among the top martial artists in the world. If you like watching people beat the crap out of each other in spectacular fashion, this is a movie you don't wanna miss!

I like how this movie also has something to say, which is a rare occurrence with fighting movies in general. Definitely a martial arts flick that succeeds in becoming something more!

What this fight sequence's all about

ldSdjq7.gif

It's slightly over-edited when the 2nd guy (none other than Kenji Tanigaki -- #23 Rurouni Kenshin's action choreographer) pulls his hidden weapons, but apart from that... damnnnn! It's a back-to-back-to-back fight where Jing Wu takes on 3 guys one after the other and you just know everyone involved have incredible talent from what you see on screen.

One of those rare 2000's movies with that kind of bone-crunching fight choreography that's mostly unheard of today. It's straight out of the 80's, but without the dubious audio. And it packs a punch!

Sequence for the curious:

Starts a bit slow but great crescendo!

The whole movie is basically this + some good dramatic scenes. Lovely!

• Like 4

Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Cynthia Rothrock, Yukari Ôshima, Hwang Jang Lee, Yasuaki Kurata, James Tien, Richard Norton, Dick Wei

- Battle Royale  Fight Sequence -

The Millionaires Express (1986)

Alternative title: Shanghai Express

5Xgz5Q4.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

sHSeV9b.gif

Directed by: Sammo Hung

Fight Choreography: Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao

Starring: Sammo Hung, Olivia Cheng, Rosamund Kwan, Yuen Biao

Box office - HK $28,122,275

Synopsis: Multi-genre flick (western, martial arts, comedy, adventure, etc.) with an all-star cast about a man who returns to his home town, buys everything in sight, and tries to improve its municipal (and his personal) profits by sabotaging a train so the passengers all have to stop in his town and spend lots o' money! Throw in various subplots involving some Japanese swordsmen, some bungling bankrobbers (one of whom is the head of security), and a gang of no-goods who try to mess up the town.

My rating for this movie: ★★½

The Millionaires Express is basically The Expendables of Hong Kong. They reunited a huge crew of then-martial artist stars (except Jackie Chan, apparently), wrote a movie around that, and arranged for everyone to meet in a huge Battle Royale at the end. And what a battle! This movie was a huge hit in Hong Kong, especially in rentals and VCD.

Now would be a good time to become familiar with fight choreographer/actor/director/martial artist/stuntman Sammo Hung. Who's this guy?

sa3-750x400.jpg

He is Jackie Chan's friend, Joyce Godenzi's husband from entry #39 She Shoots Straight, a controversial filmmaker, one of the best action directors ever (imo), and a hell of a martial artist who really doesn't look like one (he has always been on the chubby side of physical shape).

His early movie roles date back to classics such as Enter the Dragon (1973) and A Touch of Zen (1971). And he directed this movie, among others.

Back to this movie, they make back-flipping off actual roofs seem so easy in this -- Repeatedly.

As is usual in many Sammo Hung movies, most of the film is tonally inconsistent... a weird mix of comedic and dramatic scenes mashed up together.

The stunts in this are top of the line. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Pole-falling head first from 3 stories high on something that doesn't even look solid?! I don't even

However, the movie is convoluted to the core. It involves a couple dozen characters. During the whole movie you're just waiting for everyone to finally meet and duke it out. They focused on the most annoying and useless characters throughout. Oh well, at least they fight at the end!

What this sequence's all about

7AHkf90.gif

The ending fight setpiece is jaw-dropping in quality. They built the whole village just to have a royal rumble in it and destroy it. Instant classic! Also, it's more comedic than basically like, the last 10 entries in this top, which are a lot more serious.

There's so much to love in that sequence. Pure action comedy fighting fun. I'd need a 15-minutes gif to do it justice.

The Japanese trio fending off basically everyone and the fight between Sammo Hung and Cynthia Rothrock (more on her later) are the definite highlights here, but the rest are also great. Yuen Biao shows off his incredible athletic skills as well by performing all kinds of flips in every situation imaginable, pictured in the gif above.

The sequence is not on YouTube sadly.

This is a movie made by martial artist fans, for martial artist fans. I wouldn't hold it against you if you skipped to the final 15 minutes :redcapes:

But that part is truly magnificent.

If you ever watch this movie in its entirety (it's... weird), I suggest watching it when you're familiar with Hong Kong movies and can recognize lots of actors. Else it would be like watching Expendables without knowing who Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, and Sylvester Stallone are, among others.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

Scott Adkins vs Kane Kosugi

Ninja II - Shadow of a Tear (2013)

QATQonf.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

S86tGqY.gif

Directed by: Isaac Florentine

Fight Choreography: Tim Man, Isaac Florentine

Starring: Scott Adkins, Kane Kosugi

Box office: Never released in theaters.

Synopsis: Ninjitsu master Casey is back and out for revenge when his pregnant wife is murdered.

My rating for this movie: ★★

Believe it or not, one of the best fight sequences filmed in the last decade or so comes from a direct-to-video American movie! Yep!

This isn't the first time Scott Adkins shows up in this top, and yes this man is incredibly underrated. Why isn't this guy more famous? He should be as popular as Jean-Claude Van Damme. He's at the top of his game right now!

If you're looking for good acting, a good story, non-cringe dialogue... well this isn't the movie for you. I talked about Isaac Florentine earlier in this top, how he's a niche filmmaker, and nothing changed here. It's a direct-to-DVD movie where the only thing the director, actors and the crew are showcasing is their talent in fight choreography and action directing. That being said, if you're a fan of any of these, you really can't go wrong with Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear.

(terrible title :qotd:)

It has reached cult status among martial arts fans, and it's fully deserved.

But is it really the best American Cinema has to offer in terms of movie fights? A direct-to-video title? Really? Maybe... We'll see!

But if all Hollywood movies had fights in the style of this one... damn!! That would be incredible. I would loooove it.

What this fight's all about

zPVeEyY.gif

Fight Choreographer Tim Man is a huge fan of Hong Kong movies, and of Yuen Woo-Ping particularly, which shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

The ending fight in this movie is a testament to both of the actors' abilities as martial artists, and the director/fight choreographer, because it's really well done. Definitely don't expect shaky cam nonsense and dubious editing in here, they're always absent from Isaac's work, as I pointed out earlier in this top.

It's fast-paced and employs all the weapons in the arsenal to make a great fighting sequence (pun intended). Not only that, but throughout the movie there are also other impressive fighting sequences worth watching. This is a movie all martial artist fans should watch, and definitely not for the writing, or acting... Watch it for the action!

Final fight:

There's also the bar fight which is awesome (the first gif in this post):

And there are others like this in the movie. So gritty and violent, love it!

I can't for the life of me figure out why Isaac Florentine hasn't been hired to do action directing for TV shows or studio movies yet. Probably because that's where his skills end, but just put him behind the camera for action sequences only, preferably hand-to-hand combat! He'll turn them into gold. Definitely one of the best action directors working today. 

He's a fight sequence alchemist! If only he was that good at directing normal sequences... :ph34r:

• Like 3

Are you aware about #20 being released in Germany (only a DVD) as a multi-box containing Iron Angels part 1+2 plus Ultra Force 1+2? But it's shortened (a bit?) to get the 16y old label and is in German only.

It's called 'Eastern Collection - Mona Lee' (also seen as: Mona Lee Iron Angels 1+2 Ultra Force 1+2)

If interested, let me know

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Are you aware about #20 being released in Germany (only a DVD) as a multi-box containing Iron Angels part 1+2 plus Ultra Force 1+2? But it's shortened (a bit?) to get the 16y old label and is in German only.

It's called 'Eastern Collection - Mona Lee' (also seen as: Mona Lee Iron Angels 1+2 Ultra Force 1+2)

If interested, let me know

Well that's surely interesting! But if it's only in German... 

I don't understand German :ph34r:

Just now, Daxtreme said:

Well that's surely interesting! But if it's only in German... 

I don't understand German :ph34r:

I could write a translation scene per scene, wouldn't be the first time I do that for an English speaking person. If you can live with my English abilities.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I could write a translation scene per scene, wouldn't be the first time I do that for an English speaking person. If you can live with my English abilities.

:mouthdropped:

You mean, like, transcribing the dialogue? That's... long!

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

You seem to really be interested into the movie ;)

I found the version you're talking about I think, on amazon canada

https://www.amazon.com/Mona-Lee-Eastern-Collection-Angels/dp/B002QVOXAE

No idea why they're selling a german dub of a Hong Kong movie in Canada but whatever!

I'll think about it since I already own the 1st.

According to some reviewer the 2nd movie is not Iron Angels 2 but another HK movie, which would be a problem :P

Although... if it's another Moon Lee movie then it's fine I guess!

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I found the version you're talking about I think, on amazon canada

https://www.amazon.com/Mona-Lee-Eastern-Collection-Angels/dp/B002QVOXAE

No idea why they're selling a german dub of a Hong Kong movie in Canada but whatever!

I'll think about it since I already own the 1st.

According to some reviewer the 2nd movie is not Iron Angels 2 but another HK movie, which would be a problem :P

Although... if it's another Moon Lee movie then it's fine I guess!

If it is the same one, all 4 movies should be with her, as the box's title is 'her' title. It's a 2 DVD box with films on both side it seems, a lot of ppl miss the 2nd film in similar cases,  maybe the reviewer missed it too?

Acc to an Austrian Website there exists an age 18y version too (not DVD: Laser) that means the cuts might be noticeable (sometimes not)

There seems an Hungarian version too,  that includes the same titles

I found one too, it says it has these directors

Raymond Leung, Teresa Woo, Tony Liu Jun-Guk, Wong Jan Yeung

acc IMDb she had titles where she didn't use Moon but Mona Lee as name, that might add to possible mistakes by the distributer

the first part seems to have only Teresa Woo as director

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094146/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_30

Raymond Leung is acc to an Austrian website the director for this, but IMDb says its Tereasa Woo again, another one says it has both as directors for it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098474/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

aka titles are

Angel 2, Angel II, Angels 2, Fighting Madam 2, Hong Kong Police Madame 2, Iron Angels 2 - Operation Dschungel, Midnight Angels 2, Tin Sai Hang Dung II Fo Fung Kwong Lung, Železní andělé 2 (I guess that is the Hungarian version, but I do not know Hungarian)

Acc the same site it exists an VHS PAL age 18 UK version, but that one got a big cut, they say 7 minutes story is cut, incl a dying snake? and as such it wont work with the usual tape players from the US (I do own a multisystem one still for such cases). It can be that they did an international cut all the other non-Asian versions are based on, wouldn't be the first time.

Wong Jan Yeung has only one title at IMDb, she is not on the cast list (and the year seems to be wrong)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1849913/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

By exclusion that should be a Delta Force title,  I am not sure if that is even the correct title, as IMDb isn't that good with listing foreigen made films, especially if not about an actual movie.

With Ultra Force 2 there is an aka title named Red Force 3 aka .... a lot to find

IMDb calls it Megaforce 2 (director Chin-Ku Lu (as Chun-Yeung Wong), Austrian site says Lu Chin-Ku), but that one is not on the directors given at amazon.de for the box

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097745/

Arrgh, I'll order it, it's only a few dollars and look into it, I'll guess that's simpler than to follow up such many aka titles :what:

edit: yes that is the version, but wow, that's expensive

https://www.amazon.de/Mona-Lee-Eastern-Collection-Angels/dp/B002QVOXAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527716376&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+angels

1 Euro plus package

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

So that's Jing Wu, from Wolf Warrior 2?  He certainly got my attention with that movie but that fight you posted is off the charts incredible!  I actually felt bad for him with those two assholes putting nails in their gloves and shoes.  

How in the world does he do that kick without wires?  Incredible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

So that's Jing Wu, from Wolf Warrior 2?  He certainly got my attention with that movie but that fight you posted is off the charts incredible!  I actually felt bad for him with those two assholes putting nails in their gloves and shoes.  

How in the world does he do that kick without wires?  Incredible!

I have no idea! I'm basing this off trivia info on the net

But seeing him in action in various movies so far, I'd say it might actually be true. He's damn legit. :jedi:

Michelle Yeoh "distracting" an army

Magnificent Warriors (1987)

Alternative title: Dynamite Fighters

42RIoT6.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

Il9q1cg.gif

Directed by: David Chung

Fight Choreography: Hark-On Fung, To-Hoi Kong, Wei Tung

Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Richard Ng, Tung-Shing Yee

Box office - HK $8,324,957

Synopsis: Michelle Yeoh stars in this rousing action adventure in the tradition of “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Michelle is a daredevil airplane pilot/spy who fights against the occupying Japanese forces in World War II China. Her latest, toughest mission: To rescue the ruler of the city of Kaal from the hands of a ruthless Japanese general (Matsui Tetsuya) and his advancing army. Filled with extraordinary fights and Michelle’s trademark stunts (including her use of a bullwhip in the style of Indiana Jones) and literally nonstop action, Magnificent Warriors is one magnificent crowd-pleaser for everyone!

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

This is Hong Kong's answer to Indiana Jones, and they decided it would be an Indiana Jane instead.

I mean, look at that poster! If that synopsis and poster don't persuade you to watch this movie...

I think what might push you over the edge is learning that Michelle Yeoh goes from adventure to adventure via a plane that she drives herself. She lands somewhere, kicks ass, then goes flying on her way. Is that enough?

Well if that wasn't enough, then you should know that she also carries a concealed minigun in her trunk that she only uses when necessary (I swear).

Then if this wasn't enough still, then the description of this fight sequence should do it.

What this fight sequence's all about

Fb66AKv.gif

So by "distracting" the Japanese army above what I really meant was that Michelle Yeoh tells her friends she's gonna distract the soldiers but instead goes on a 5-minute rampage against an army that includes drop-kicking people, making a 200-ft motorcycle jump above an exploding garrison, collapsing a house on somebody, using a whip to pull flaming trunks and throwing them at people, performing acrobatics on and off roofs, dodging and throwing spears at people, fighting the rest of them, and driving a jeep through a flaming barricade... among others.

And all of that isn't assisted by any CGI of course. Like Jackie Chan, Michelle does all her own fighting and stunts, along with the typical exquisite 80's Hong Kong action choreography I definitely shouldn't get used to too much, because it's mostly a lost art.

This sequence is truly unbelievable and fully deserves its spot as one of the best I've seen. 

If you still have zero interest for Magnificent Warriors after all the above, I'd say we're absolutely incompatible. :ph34r:

Unfortunately, it's not on YouTube. I got the DVD for $1.75 on amazon and the full movie is on prime so yeah, definitely affordable!

Pretty much all the fight sequences in this movie are amazing and yes, sometimes exaggerated. There's another one earlier where Michelle fights with a rope dart (Chinese weapon) that's very difficult to master, and she pulls it off seamlessly! This movie is campy and also goofy in all kinds of ways and I like it for that.

The gif above shows small excerpts from that scene. I don't think it's chronological. 50% of the movie is basically this.

The sequence isn't on YouTube unfortunately so this alternate poster will have to do.

RL6SK6k.jpg

• Like 3