Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Bruce Lee vs the whole factory

Enter the Dragon (1973)

LtWXeQL.jpg

DLAGlqX.jpg

USA / Hong Kong co-production (English)

ygT2SfW.gif

Directed by: Robert Clouse

Fight Choreography: Bruce Lee

Starring: Bruce Lee, John Saxon, Jim Kelly (with Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung cameos!)

Worldwide Box office - $90,000,000 ($22,000,000 domestic)

Synopsis: A martial artist agrees to spy on a reclusive crime lord using his invitation to a tournament there as cover.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★★

Enter the Dragon is perhaps the most influential martial arts movie ever made. It brought martial arts to worldwide attention in explosive fashion as it was a huge box office success with $90M in 1972 worldwide box office (a loose estimate in today's dollars would be $400-500M, which is insane for a martial arts movie).

It's also Bruce Lee's final movie before his unfortunate death at the age of 32, and showcases his immense talent as a martial artist.

Without this movie, martial arts movies wouldn't be what they are today.

Funny excerpt  by Tao A on letterboxd:

Enter the Dragon is also a very rare USA/Hong Kong co-production.

What this fight sequence's all about

ZKAj8AT.jpg

Bruce Lee enters the factory disguised as a ninja investigator with a snake in his knapsack, so you just know something special is gonna happen eventually.

Bruce Lee has always been known for his minimalist approach to martial arts sequences. He strikes hard and fast, and in his signature fashion, takes down all his opponents in one blow. He never does it better than in this movie.

This sequence also features Jackie Chan in one of his first movie roles as an extra who gets hit by Bruce Lee.

Sequence:

My main gripe with the movie is that the antagonist is meh and his final fight sequence with Bruce Lee is a bit underwhelming. But the rest of the movie really works, including of course this sequence.

It's an absolute must-watch for martial arts movie fans.

Mortal Kombat (1995) basically copied the plot of this movie by the way.

More on that:

One of, if not my fave martial arts film of all time. When I did my top 50 most important films ever made it came in at number 50. As you said it's probably the most influential martial arts film of all time. I absolutely love this movie. And getting John sexy and it just made it that much better.

• Like 1

Iko Uwais & Donny Alamsyah vs Yayan Ruhian

The Raid: Redemption (2011)

IVkNKXx.jpg

oXqjmDJ.png

Indonesia

L5Fg66T.gif

Directed by: Gareth Evans

Fight Choreography: Gareth Evans, Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian

Starring: Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Donny Alamsyah, Yayan Ruhian

Worldwide box office: $9.14 million ($4,105,187 domestic)

Synopsis: A S.W.A.T. team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

Here's a review from our very own @Telemachos on The Raid:

On 4/9/2012 at 1:55 PM, Telemachos said:

Reposting from my crowd reports post:

Holy shit, what amazing action! Anyone who remotely likes action films (especially Jackie Chan or Jet Li movies) should find a way to see this. There's almost no plot: basically there's an evil drug lord holed up in an apartment building that he owns, and a squad of cops are sent in to capture him or take him out. So they have to fight their way up, story by story.

The action is brutal and insanely inventive. It starts off with tons of heavy gunfire, and then, as people run out of ammo and/or get killed, the combatants fall back on pistols, then knives and machetes, and finally their fists and whatever else they can get their hands on: bits of furniture, smashed doors, etc.

The fighting is choreographed extremely well and it's just insane to watch people this well-trained go at each other. Highly entertaining, with great sound design and a booming soundtrack. It loses a few points because, really, there's almost no story or character development, but still, a damn good action flick that puts most bigger-budget studio films to shame.

B+

This movie jumpstarted everyone involved's careers (Iko Uwais is now set to star in Triple Threat, an all-star team-up movie of martial artists duking it out), and Gareth Evans directed a sequel too, which was featured earlier in this list. The whole movie is awesome to watch and features incredibly tense moments as Gareth Evans has more talent than just knowing how to film people beating the crap out of each other.

He basically schooled 99% of modern directors working today on how to film action scenes.

Where do you think he takes that? :qotd:

The Raid is a great action movie all-around, not just an awesome martial arts movie.

What this fight's all about

VvA4PGp.gif

In terms of movie fight scenes filmed in the last few years, this one's a real winner. The choreography and stunts on display here are simply amazing for such a constrained setting.

Like the sequel, the only true drawback to this sequence is that they never really knew when to stop, but to a much lesser degree than The Raid 2.

This is a very, very minor complain.

Tighten it up a bit and this would become a real contender for #1. Instead, right now it has to settle for only one of the best fight sequences I've seen ever! What a shame :redcapes:

Final fight:

I would just recommend the whole movie at this point though. It's one of those few action movies that are well-made all the way through. There's another sequence near the middle where Iko Uwais fights a bunch of thugs in a hallway that's so awesome, and gruesome (in a good way), it's pretty much equally as great as this one.

Here it is:

It's just so consistently good throughout. An adrenaline shot of a movie in its purest, distilled form.

A great sequence and a great guess @Premium George !

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

The Raid 1 & 2 are treasures. I actually like Redemption more, its just so simple and straight-forward, but the execution of the fights is just so damn excellent.

• Like 2

Jackie Chan vs Ken Lo

Drunken Master II (1994)

Alternative title: The Legend of Drunken Master

QhOq3fi.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

2utx54a.jpg

Directed by: Chia-Liang Liu

Fight Choreography: Jackie Chan

Starring: Jackie Chan, Lung Ti, Anita Mui

Box office: HK$40,971,484 + US$11,555,430 (domestic)

Synopsis: A young martial artist is caught between respecting his pacifist father's wishes or stopping a group of disrespectful foreigners from stealing precious artifacts.

Only released in the US in 2000, Drunken Master II was a huge hit for Jackie Chan as it was very popular in VHS/DVD sales and rentals. In a way, this movie has probably been the first step into a larger world for many martial arts movie fans, even more so than Rumble in the Bronx, as it's viewed as a classic now and often referred to as Jackie Chan's best.

It also marks the end of the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema era, which ended because of various reasons, all of which are economical. See entry #39 She Shoots Straight for more detail on that.

In this, Jackie Chan fights under a moving train, jumps off buildings, falls on smoldering fire wearing plain clothes, in addition to all the efforts of the stuntmen throughout this movie. Typical Jackie Chan, eh!

What this fight sequence's all about

aoU0fOI.gif

Ken Lo is a friend of Jackie Chan and a stuntman who replaced the original actor temporarily because of injuries (for rehearsing), but he was so good they kept him for the final movie! He really kicks ass -- literally -- and I'm glad they kept him because his kick work is amazing.

Jackie Chan once again employs his mix of action/comedy here for a simultaneously dramatic and funny finale, as you can see in the teaser gif above. If you like Jackie Chan's fighting style, this movie is a no-brainer. He actually fired the original fight choreographer because he wasn't satisfied with his work, and went on to choreograph it himself (and Jackie Chan is a terrific fight choreographer).

Ken Lo definitely should have starred and fought in more martial arts movies.

There are all sorts of callbacks to previous fights in the movie in this sequence, various moves Jackie Chan made, and I love how it all comes together. Definitely an all-timer.

Plus in this sequence there's his famous "falling on smoldering fire" stunt which, believe it or not, isn't even the craziest stunt he's ever performed.

Behold:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 5

I have a bit of unexpected free time so might as well present the 3 fight sequences that were cut for redundancy!

Would be number ~25

My Lucky Stars (1985)

Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Dick Wei, Sibelle Hu, Michiko Nishiwaki - Final Royal Rumble

Choreography: Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

This one was cut because I think there are enough Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung fight sequences in this top already, and the sequel already made the list.

(Small) and funny part of the fight sequence in question, starring one of my favorite Hong Kong actresses Sibelle Hu:

The sequence lasts like 10 minutes.

The whole movie is on YouTube.

Would be number ~30

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996)

Jackie Chan - Ladder fight

Choreography: Stanley Tong, Vic Wilson 

Hong Kong (Cantonese & English)

Cut for the same reasons as above, except this time no Sammo Hung.

Would be number ~45

Winners and Sinners (1983)

Sammo Hung - Final fight sequence

Choreography: Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Billy Chan, Ching-Ying Lam 

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

Enough with Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Hong Kong movies already! Also, this is basically Lucky Stars 0  so all the more reason to cut it. 

The sequence is not on YouTube.

tumblr_p4zq6oECvU1wstc5to1_500.png

• Like 4

Jet Li vs Donnie Yen

Hero (2002)

HWf3kqL.jpg

peaP5rV.jpg

Hong Kong/China (Mandarin)

5JYFnl3.jpg

Directed by: Yimou Zhang

Fight Choreography: Siu-Tung Ching, Wei Tung, Jack Wai-Leung Wong, Cai Li

Starring: Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Chiu-Wai Leung, Ziyi Zhang, Donnie Yen

Worldwide Box office: : $177,394,432 ($53,710,019 domestic)

Synopsis: A defense officer, Nameless, was summoned by the King of Qin regarding his success of terminating three warriors.

14BxW5L.gif

If you love Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon (1950), you'll probably love this too.

Hero was Hong Kong's biggest budget martial arts film ever at $30M and the widest asian release of all-time in the US (2175 theaters), and achieved #1 rank the week-end of its release, something which no other Foreign Country Movie release has ever managed (not even smash hit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). It's a movie known for its superb cinematography and non-linear -- if not plot-defying -- structure.

It was nominated for a Best Cinematography oscar.

Of course I love this movie.

Here's a review by Raul Marques on letterboxd that I think strikes home for me:

Every time people make a huge deal out of the action sequences in a superhero movie, something like this comes to mind. One could argue that the dancing dynamic fail to communicate any sort of stakes to the viewer, however, as entertaining as most blockbusters can be, it's not like there's an actually convincing work by the filmmakers in that aspect. Either way, this film is competent even beyond its famous jaw-dropping set pieces, the cinematography is particularly stunning.

gSX20LP.gif

7y6jVWC.gif

I love that this fight mostly takes place in their minds. I love the old man and the music he plays, I love the black and white shift, I love the choreography, the feel, the flow, the cinematography... it's just an amazing looking fight starring legends Jet Li and Donnie Yen.

I guess I don't have much else to say except that it's freakin awesome. Watching Donnie Yen and Jet Li fight is always a treat.

Behold:

Even the 'Wire-Fu' fights in this movie are something to behold, visually. Really, this is a martial arts movie you don't wanna miss.

Definitely the most beautiful-looking film in this whole top.

• Like 7

Jackie Chan vs Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez | feat. Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Pepe Sancho, Keith Vitali

Wheels on Meals (1984)

2fYc8f7.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

tpOapwB.gif

Directed by: Sammo Hung

Fight Choreography: Sammo Hung

Starring: Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao

Box office - HK $21,465,013

Synopsis: Cousins Thomas and David, owners of a mobile restaurant, team up with their friend Moby, a bumbling private detective, to save the beautiful Sylvia, a pickpocket. Action and humor abound in the streets of Barcelona, culminating with a battle in the castle hideout of the evil gang.

Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung strike for one final time in this top with this action-comedy that takes place in... Spain.

Wheels on Meals is a mostly comedic movie following the unfortunate adventures of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung being involved in all sorts of random things. It's silly, over the top, but it's a lot of fun and Jackie Chan is at the top of his fighting game here.

Think Rush Hour but replace Chris Tucker with Sammo Hung, and more fights.

A nice little review from Dave Edwards on this movie that I fully agree with:

This may contain the best fight choreography in Chan’s filmography. The Chan/Urquidez brawl more than lives up to its legendary status — brutal and lightening quick. What a final showdown.

AXqKGOa.gif

Benny Urquidez's kick to Jackie Chan is so fast it actually extinguished a set of candles on the table behind!

You can't fake awesome.

Also, there was a sort of rivalry between them as apparently, they didn't get along very well on set. Bennie Urquidez is reported as having toured the local dojos to challenge the black belts, and hopefully, win (he did).

Here, Jackie Chan does his classic furniture fighting but mixed in with impressive MMA-style fight choreography, as his opponent is a tough one! In Dragons Forever (1988), featured earlier at #9, these 2 have a rematch (since it came out after).

Sammo Hung meanwhile has an impressive swordfight with Pepe Sancho.

You also have the added presence of Yuen Biao, who fights various people throughout. 3 for 1 package deal!

Sequence:

The quality is pretty terrible. My recommendation would be to watch the movie instead :) It's on Amazon (rent), Amazon Prime, and iTunes Movies.

In all, I think this is the best fight scene in Jackie Chan's career! And what a career he's had.

• Like 5

Tony Jaa vs The Bar

Ong-Bak (2003)

XJdkGOH.jpg

TFBx9tf.png

Thailand

cR4su9o.gif

Directed by: Prachya Pinkaew

Fight Choreography: Panna Rittikrai, Tony Jaa

Starring: Tony Jaa

Worldwide Box office - $20,112,926 ($4,563,167 domestic)

Synopsis: When the head of a statue sacred to a village is stolen, a young martial artist goes to the big city and finds himself taking on the underworld to retrieve it.

Ong-Bak is known as the modern martial arts movie which reinvigorated the love for fight sequences filmed without wires, without huge special effects, just 2 martial artists punching each other in awesome fashion (along with an incredibly dedicated stunts team). It brought Tony Jaa to international audiences in spectacular fashion.

Ong-Bak could have made this top twice with the ending sequence (different from the bar).

- Quick action movie review by yours truly -

Stunts - 95/100 | Panna Rittikrai (RIP) said in an interview that his idol was Jackie Chan, and that he watched his movies hundreds of times. If the quality of the stunts in this movie are any indication, he was paying attention.

Narrative - 69/100 | Doesn't flow really well, but I liked the build-up in tension to the bar sequence. Just for that, the movie gets a thumbs-up from me on the narrative part.

Fight Choreography - 100/100 | Those guys... it seems like they're taking those elbows and knees head-on to the face. And they probably are? Unreal choreography. 

Enjoyment - 90/100 | Might have something to do with the hilariously bad French dub, but damn that was something. The girl with her constant stream of "Moi j'ai 9 points!!!" (I have 9 points!!) had me in stitches! She says that sentence at least 10 times.

What this sequence's all about

L25W7Zw.jpg

The bar scene in this film is really something else. The whole movie so far has been building up the tension up to this point, and although there are other awesome fight sequences in it, like the cavern sequence, it's the most popular and well-remembered one, and for a good reason. Watching it without context sort of undermines its value, but if you really want to know what this is all about, just search for it on YouTube. The videos are low quality and incomplete so I highly recommend popping this movie in your player instead. It's special in its own, charming way and Tony Jaa is hilarious in his fish-out-of-water kinda role. The dub is definitely in the "so bad it's good" category.

If you understand and can watch it in dubbed French, please do so, you won't regret it. It's pricelessly bad but oh soooo good at the same time.

I could post gifs of the bar sequences but I think it would undermine the build-up to that point, hence the kata training from the beginning instead! Just know that Tony Jaa is the epitome of athlete-built and that this sequence is legendary.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 5

Gotta say, shockingly, that Jet/Yen fight really didn't do it for me.  I think the Raid one is much better and so is the Yen vs the 10 black belts.  But I realize you like what you like and it's cool to have different opinions.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Gotta say, shockingly, that Jet/Yen fight really didn't do it for me.  I think the Raid one is much better and so is the Yen vs the 10 black belts.  But I realize you like what you like and it's cool to have different opinions.  

It definitely has its own style, one which is quite different from the fights in this top so far!

• Like 1

Donnie Yen & Cynthia Khan vs the bad guys| Final fight sequence

In the Line of Duty 4 (1989)

Alternative title: Red Force

uQvKNDX.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

PaFuVV9.gif

Directed by: Yuen Woo-Ping

Fight Choreography: Yuen Woo-Ping, Donnie Yen, Yuen Shun-Yee, Paul Wong, Wing Cho

Starring: Cynthia Khan, Donnie Yen, Michael Wong

Box office: HK $12,100,193

Synopsis: A Hong Kong cop and two American cops are onto a suspected harbor worker and are forced to team up when they discover that the suspect is a witness on the run from CIA agents and their schemers; two corrupt cops.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★½

This is the third time a movie from the In the Line of Duty franchise makes this top (after #36 Royal Warriors and #11 Yes, Madam!), and this is the big one. This is the movie from the franchise that's firing on all cylinders on the action front, and with a new action girl in the starring role too: Cynthia Khan, who replaced Michelle Yeoh from the 3rd one and onwards.

This is the only appearance for Cynthia Khan in this top, but a worthy appearance it is.

Here's a review by one of my favorite reviewers on letterboxd, Tao A, on this movie that I can only agree with:

I keep saying "some of the best action and craziest stunts I've ever seen" with every Hong Kong movie I see so I should probably stop saying that. That said this has some of the best action and craziest stunts I've ever seen.

There's a stunt performed by Cynthia Khan in the middle of this movie that's so mind-bogglingly dangerous I can't believe they did it (the sequence inside, under, on the side, and on top of the ambulance on the highway). One slip of the foot and under the wheels it is! In typical Hong Kong fashion, no one has any safety on while performing.

And believe it or not, but it's not even the most dangerous stunt performed by a woman in a Hong Kong movie, or any movie ever in fact. That award still goes to Michelle Yeoh for the WTF stunt she performed in Jackie Chan's Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) AKA the most dangerous stunt ever performed by a woman where, while riding a motorcycle, she jumped on a moving train with a helicopter rolling on it. And Jackie Chan's own stunts in this movie are even worse. Quentin Tarantino went on record to say the stunts performed in Supercop are probably the greatest ever put on film, and I'm inclined to agree.

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) missed this top because the main focus is clearly on the stunts.

Anyway, back to this movie, I clapped not once, not twice, but three times watching this movie! It's pure bonkers!

You know that move in Austin Powers where Goldmember kicks his leg past his head?

Well Donnie Yen does that FOR REAL in this movie and he does it 3 TIMES!!! :ohmyzod:

In the Line of Duty is definitely one of my favorite film franchises right now. 7 installments, all starring kick-ass girls roundhouse-kicking left and right, with great male sidekicks too (like Donnie Yen here) and everyone doing death-defying stunts one after the other.

But this installment absolutely takes the cake.

Sadly this franchise isn't really known in the West, although it has its fans. This one really is THE hidden gem of action movies and this top overall. Hong Kong were really ahead of the curve with this. So many kickass female performers!

5G2Xm42.gif

This fight sequence is long and brutal.

This is that kind of fight where you might have to pick your jaw off from the floor about halfway through, only to realize it's not done yet. Ohh noooo it's not done, not even close... because that's when the huge, deceptively agile black guy comes in!

Then Donnie Yen gets his shirt ripped off and you realize that the size difference between the 2 of them isn't quite as big as it seemed.... because Donnie Yen was fucking RIPPED back then!

Damn can they film a fight in Hong Kong.

I lost count of how many reverse roundhouse kicks happen in this sequence. And apparently there's a sword fight too, because why not?

Yuen Woo-Ping in his early days... man, I appreciate what he has done later in the 90's, and in the 2000's, but as a director, In the Line of Duty 4 (along with the similar Tiger Cage and Tiger Cage 2) are the magnum opus of his work in my opinion.

Tiger Cage 1's opening shoot-out scene alone cements that fact for me.

In case that wasn't clear, yes you should watch both Tiger Cage movies. I left them out of this top only because I watched them for the first time fairly recently, after this top was finalized, but the action and fights are truly incredible. Donnie Yen stars in both of them.

Oh and, the main villain in Tiger Cage 2 is Liu Kang! Sold? :sarah:

So the whole final fight in this is on YouTube because well, the full movie is currently on YouTube, so watch the sequence there if you're intrigued. But c'mon, you can rent the movie in HD for $2 on amazon (it's even free with Prime)... do it?! :D Or buy the DVD or something?

I promise to you, you will never ever regret watching (and paying for) this movie if you've enjoyed any of the fight sequences in this top so far... or action movies.

So basically everyone reading this.

• Like 3

Your knowledge of this genre is simply amazing!

I will definitely be searching for many of these titles in the near future.  I found all the IP Man's on Netflix but stuff like Police Story and many others are films I will go out of my way to buy.

• Like 2

Donnie Yen vs Jing Wu / Jacky Wu

SPL: Kill Zone (2005)

Oq08HtA.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

Cekz3kz.jpg

Directed by: Wilson Yip

Fight Choreography: Donnie Yen, Jack Wai-Leung Wong

Starring: Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Sammo Hung, Jing Wu

Worldwide Box office - $954,211 (never released in the USA)

Synopsis: A near retired inspector and his unit are willing to put down a crime boss at all costs while dealing with his replacement, who is getting in their way. Meanwhile, the crime boss sends his top henchmen to put an end to their dirty schemes.

SPL: Kill Zone isn't known for the richness of its story, nor its clever writing. This is an action movie first and foremost, and although the plot may surprise more than a few viewers, it's all about the action... which is fine with me if you know what to expect.

Here's an interesting review from matt lynch on letterboxd on this movie:

really terrific heroic bloodshed throwback, with its sudden dives into outlandish melodrama and shifting allegiances. plus you get to watch Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung, aka the two fastest men alive, go after each other like a couple of fucking professionals. personally i'd prefer a little more ass-kicking and a little less emotional handwringing, but this is a blast overall.

The sequel landed a spot in this list, albeit significantly lower.

xD8wa55.gif

After going through this top, just reading "Donnie Yen vs Jing Wu" above should tell you all you need to know about why this sequence landed at #2 on this list.

They actually shot the whole sequence in one night, which suffice to say, goes against most Chinese fight sequence standards. According to CineFix, it was mostly improvised and was actually a contest between Jing Wu and Donnie Yen to see who would hit the other first, seeing as they both know each other's stances well. Donnie Yen apparently broke 3 of his police batons on Jing Wu's forearms while filming this scene!

It's a one-of-a-kind fight sequence, and upon release, was instantly hailed as an all-time classic by martial arts fans, and I'm inclined to agree. It's probably the most realistic, kinetic, and legitimate fight sequence in this whole top. In a sense, we owe this sequence to Tony Jaa as it was revealed in an interview with Donnie Yen that Ong-Bak's popularity in 2003 led to him feeling he needed to top it, not only for himself but to bring China back on top. And he did!

Hopefully Jing Wu does martial arts again too, but that's highly improbable now that he directed, produced, and starred in the highest-grossing Chinese movie of all-time (Wolf Warrior 2).

Breaking bones in his body performing stunts doesn't seem like the best move to do nowadays :redcapes:

The full sequence: 

The fight right after that between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung is also pretty damn good! Watching them back-to-back with a bowl of chips seems like a good evening plan to me.

I think I'd just forget about the bowl 30 seconds in though.

• Like 4