Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

Great list Dax. That Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon fight sequence, is so good. Remember the first time I watched it, the wireworks and choreography, particularly in that sequence, honestly blew my fucking mind. Perfect choice for #1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Nope! The final fight is pretty good though :)

I refer to it a couple times though, since Jing Wu made this top a few times!

Not having anything from Prodigal Son is blasphemy to me Dax, otherwise a great list!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Not having anything from Prodigal Son is blasphemy to me Dax, otherwise a great list!

Unfortunately I haven't watched Prodigal Son yet! Definitely on my list.

• ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Unfortunately I haven't watched Prodigal Son yet! Definitely on my list.

Get on it asap, Hung directed it and it has in my mind the best fight ever. It also to quote the BBC:

In The Prodigal Son the depth and framing of the shots were a radical change from the two-dimensional approach to filming that had been used in Hong Kong at this point.

Shaped everything that would come after it. To me it's the magnum opus of SH.

• Like 1

omg I just realized I forgot to post the bonus/fail sequence that should have been presented before the #1

I was surprisingly busy this week-end and still wanted to end the top properly so I guess it just flew over my head and I totally forgot.

I'm gonna do it because hey, it's not too late for a WTF bonus

• Like 3

WTF BONUS

The Village vs The World

Born To Fight (2004)

tRj4eSp.jpg

TFBx9tf.png

Thailand

OYU2MyI.gif

Directed by: Panna Rittikrai

Fight Choreography: Panna Rittikrai

Starring: Random people

Box office: N/A (Thailand-only release)

Synopsis: A group of athletes helping a poor village must stop an evil tyrant and his men from terrorizing the village.

My rating for this movie:  ★★

My rating for this specific fight sequence:  ★ / ★★★★★ (so bad it's actually genius)

There's not much to say about this movie except that it's terrible, apart from, well, the stunts which justify the full 2 stars I gave this.

I love Panna Rittikrai as a choreographer, but he really needs to be put in check by a director who knows what he's doing (like frequent collaborator Prachya Pinkaew who directed Ong-Bak).

What this sequence's all about

It doesn't make any sense at all, but I promise to you, if this isn't unlike any other scene you've ever watched in your life...

So many absolutely mind-boggling choices in this sequence, most in the "WTF is this for real?" range that you can't help but watch, puzzled. I mean, a guy juggles with a bunch of coconuts while trying to fight some other guy with an assault rifle, one of the coconuts somehow rebounds on a wall toward a one-legged man in crutches on the side, who round-house-kicks it back to the guy with a rifle, which ends up KO'ing him (he later wakes up and throws grenades like they're baseballs). And that's just 1 of the absurd things that happen in this sequence. There are flaming coconuts and soccer balls being thrown around, a gorgeous and gritty one-take near the beginning, an absurdly high level of violence, epic non-epic slow-mo shots, an action hero kid... there's just no limit to the craziness happening on screen! (not quite for the better, I should say)

Panna Rittikrai brought his choreography style back from Ong-Bak for this movie, but the cast ain't no Tony Jaa, that's for sure. Honestly, apart from his action directing (specifically), I think he's a terrible director.

At least he shares that with Isaac Florentine :qotd:

For the curious

Sequence:

Of course, only watching the sequence not the whole movie is what I would recommend. Unless you have morbid curiosity or something. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1