Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

Another fight I'd love to see make the list (although I'm sure it will not) is the Anakin/Obi Wan final battle in Sith.  It just goes on and on and on and the lightsabre stuff is breathtaking.  It of course culminates with the epic high ground comment and then Anakin getting his legs cut off and Ob Wan taking his lightsabre.  

• Like 1

Not quite as epic as some of the other fights on here but still pretty awesome to watch.  God bless Stallone for his awesome fight choreography.

• Like 1

So we're done with entries for the day, however I'll be posting the last 2 Honorable Mentions in the next hour or so before we head into the top 30, starting tomorrow.

Don't forget guys that you have about 1 or 2 more days max before we head into the top 25 and guesses for #1 will no longer be accepted!

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Another fight I'd love to see make the list (although I'm sure it will not) is the Anakin/Obi Wan final battle in Sith.  It just goes on and on and on and the lightsabre stuff is breathtaking.  It of course culminates with the epic high ground comment and then Anakin getting his legs cut off and Ob Wan taking his lightsabre.  

It's a great fight, but sadly it missed this top! What I like most about it is how emotional it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

So we're done with entries for the day, however I'll be posting the last 2 Honorable Mentions in the next hour or so before we head into the top 30, starting tomorrow.

Don't forget guys that you have about 1 or 2 more days max before we head into the top 25 and guesses for #1 will no longer be accepted!

It's a great fight, but sadly it missed this top! What I like most about it is how emotional it is.

Yea, it's very well done.  And emotional for sure.  But you have some really terrific stuff on here, so I get it.  

Can't wait for the rest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Fencing Favorites - one for skill, one for brutality

Trivia: Rathbone a world class fencer who lost on film all the time except as Sherlock.

wow thanks for linking that one, I remember watching it a long time ago and thinking it was amazing, but then I couldn't for the life of me remember which movie it was from! I never found it when I went searching for it

It would probably have made this top, incredible fight, I love it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, it's very well done.  And emotional for sure.  But you have some really terrific stuff on here, so I get it.  

Can't wait for the rest.

Yeah I had lots of difficulties making this top, it's so hard to cut sequences. I actually gave myself about 3-4 months of just watching and re-watching, checking other movie fight tops just to make sure I wouldn't forget anything, and then I went to ranking. And then I managed to forget some anyway like the sequence @TalismanRing linked above :qotd:

Oh well. I watched so many epic fights, this list could easily have been a top 100 and I don't think any of the fights in it wouldn't be worth watching for fight enthusiasts. 

Just know that all the fights in this top are amazing, and if some don't make it, doesn't mean they're not awesome. I'll try posting a list of the near-misses and those which were cut for redundancy (3)

• Like 2

Great choices so far. The Police Story movies are great, and they feature some fantastic fight scenes as well. 2 is probably my personal favorite.

Also Scott Adkins is really underrated. He's great, and deserves more mainstream roles, beyond just being a henchmen in Doctor Strange. 

• Like 1

Honorable Mention

Adam Goldberg vs Mac Steinmeier

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

ZlJ6pIN.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Fight Choreography: Steven Spielberg, Simon Crane

Starring: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns

Worldwide box office: $481,840,909 ($216,540,909 domestic)

Synopsis: Following the Normandy Landings, a group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★½

I don't think I need to introduce Saving Private Ryan to people here, but let's just say it's an epic war movie that won many oscars and grossed all the dollars!

Steven Spielberg + War Movie is always a winning mathematical equation.

What this fight's all about

wp5mN1l.jpg

This is the most gruesome and realistic yet heart-shattering fight scene I've ever seen. You feel bad after this scene, like really bad. I remember I had a knot in my stomach first time I watched this scene, it really is something else.

Like if anyone needed any real excuse to watch Saving Private Ryan :ph34r:

Scene:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Honorable Mention

Kill Bill (2003-2004)

i8sh0wz.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

Fight Choreography: Yuen Woo-Ping, Rob Moses, Scott Rhodes

Starring: Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Daryl Hannah, Michael Madsen, Lucy Liu

Worldwide Box Office

Vol 1: $180,949,045 ($70,099,045 domestic)

Vol 2: $152,159,461 ($66,208,183 domestic)

Synopsis: A former assassin known as The Bride wakens from a four-year coma. The child she carried in her womb is gone. Now she must wreak vengeance on the team of assassins who betrayed her - a team she was once part of.

My rating for both movies: ★★★★½

tU9prfo.gif

So these movies barely missed this list. Yup!

Kill Bill is basically a love letter to the Hong Kong movies of the 70's and 80's, and inspired pretty much directly by Japan's Lady Snowblood (1973). It's thus only fair that a Hong Kong choreographer from that era (Yuen Woo-Ping) would join the team for the choreography, and that basically everyone would be wielding and fighting with Japanese Katana.

The series was fairly popular, making quite a lot of money back on each movie's $30M investment.

Even though Quentin Tarantino has always been known for the crude violence in his movies, the 2 Kill Bill movies are by far his most violent work.

The Crazy 88's fight scene in this movie as well as everything onwards (like the Gogo fight) was a hell of a way to end the first movie, and it's the sequence I would like to give a mention here for being awesome :)

Sequence: 

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Nooooooo. The fight sequence in part 1 in the club is my favourite fight scene of all time. Sad to see it didnt even make the list

It kinda made it, in its own way ;) It's an awesome sequence!

So that's it for today folks, we're gonna kick this off with number 29 tomorrow, a movie that lots of reviewers say is quite unsuitable for Western audiences, AKA Another Time: The Movie

On 24.5.2018 at 6:39 AM, terrestrial said:

Sword Fights:

I mentioned the old Zorro there

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Fencing Favorites - one for skill, one for brutality

Trivia: Rathbone a world class fencer who lost on film all the time except as Sherlock.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

wow thanks for linking that one, I remember watching it a long time ago and thinking it was amazing, but then I couldn't for the life of me remember which movie it was from! I never found it when I went searching for it

It would probably have made this top, incredible fight, I love it! 

Aahhhh, that is the one I meant with the old Zorro movie! Funny we all know and love the same version!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Aahhhh, that is the one I meant with the old Zorro movie! Funny we all know and love the same version!

What does the German dude say in that Saving Private Ryan clip just before he stabs the American in the heart?

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

What does the German dude say in that Saving Private Ryan clip just before he stabs the American in the heart?

"Its easier for you, you will see, its much easier. It will be over very fast."

• Like 2