Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

Keanu Reeves vs Hugo Weaving

The Matrix (1999)

cybdZYr.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

2gHwsWV.gif

Directed by: The Wachowskis

Fight Choreography: Yuen Woo-Ping

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving

Worldwide Box office - $463,517,383 ($171,479,930 domestic)

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★★

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★

Finally, some real box office! Pretty much all martial arts movies have ridiculously low box office numbers.

The Matrix was a box office and word-of-mouth phenomenon as the movie was a purely original script from the Wachowskis, who also directed it. When it came out, it quite simply blew everyone's minds and became an instant classic that revolutionized action filmmaking. Parodies and copycats abounded. Audiences worldwide could apparently never get enough of this movie, and it went on to have a 6.17 multiplier at the domestic box office after a $27.8M opening. Different times in 1999, sure, but that's still amazing!

It spawned 2 highly-anticipated and successful sequels.

It is also one of my favorite movies ever, sitting squarely in my top 5. There are many reasons why I love this film, and the fight sequences are only a small fragment of that. It's just bonkers Sci-Fi action in its purest distilled form, complete with flawless pacing, an excellent script, and unforgettable characters.

It also recently landed at #11 on BOT's all-time list, so I'd say I'm not alone here in thinking this is an amazing movie.

Short and sweet review by @vc2002 in here: 

On 12/4/2012 at 8:44 AM, vc2002 said:

This is the measuring stick for sci-fi's. Great concept, great story, great characters, great visuals, and as much as Reeves is not a great actor, he fits the character "Neo" quite well, just like Arnold on T800. Also, despite the fact it included tons of action sequences, the pace of the whole film never felt out of place, which is rare for action films nowdays.

"There is no spoon."

An incredible movie.

What this sequence's all about

3tqStej.jpg

You might have noticed that we're only 8 movies in so far in this top and Hong Kong fight choreographer and director Yuen Woo-Ping has already shown up 3 times (Fearless, Fist of Legend, and now The Matrix).

That's because he's a legend. He was called upon to do the fight choreography for a select few Hollywood movies in the late 90's and early 2000's, and his presence is a big reason why these movies have such memorable fight sequences, The Matrix included.

This fight between Neo and Agent Smith blends Kung-Fu fighting and Sci-Fi bullet time so well, its importance in action filmmaking history cannot be understated enough, especially on the side of Hollywood. Sadly, it would seem that while a lot of filmmakers tried to replicate the formula, pretty much none of them actually managed to keep the essence of why and how it worked while doing so. It also doesn't help that aside from The Matrix movies, Kill Bill, and Unleashed, Yuen Woo-Ping never worked with Hollywood again.

The emerging popularity at that time of nauseating shaky cam and frenetic cuts made popular by the Bourne movies really didn't help either.

All of the above is why I think this fight sequence is one of the best to come out of Hollywood, ever.

Has Hollywood ever topped this? Keep following this top to find out!

Here's a link to the sequence, which I highly doubt even 1 person hasn't seen in here, but whatever:

The pinned comment in there kinda nails it too (oh gosh, a decent YouTube comment?)

Also, any excuse is good enough to rewatch The Matrix :qotd:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Joyce Godenzi vs Agnes Aurelio

She Shoots Straight (1990)

Alternative title: Lethal Lady

eX07F2c.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

CIMIWI8.gif

Directed by: Corey Yuen

Fight Choreography: Corey Yuen, Hoi Mang

Starring: Joyce Godenzi, Sammo Hung, Carina Lau

Box office: HK $9,962,865

Synopsis: Straight after her marriage, Hong Kong officer Mina Kao faces dangerous case of vietnamese criminal refugees.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

So it begins.

This is the first Golden Age Hong Kong movie in this top, and it won't be the last. The modern 'Golden Age' period of action movies from Hong Kong started with Sammo Hung's Winners and Sinners (1983), starring Jackie Chan, and is widely considered to have ended with Legend of the Drunken Master (1994), also starring Jackie Chan.

Fist of Legend (1994), an earlier entry into this top, is one of the first movies that started to indicate a decline for the Hong Kong movie market, and thus, isn't part of that period.

This decline happened because of several factors, none of which have anything to do Hong Kong's handover from the UK to China in 1997.

1. Many talented Hong Kong filmmakers moved to Hollywood as a lot more money could be made there.

2. Neighboring markets, which were a big source of income for Hong Kong movies both for theatrical releases and video releases, started embracing Hollywood movies a lot more beginning around 1994.

3. Hong Kong moviegoers also started favoring Hollywood releases more.

4. Rampant video piracy in the mid 90's in Asia pretty much sealed the deal for Hong Kong productions.

That being said, you might notice that this movie grossed less than Fist of Legend (1994), which supposedly marked the beginning of Hong Kong's decline. Well, for one, She Shoots Straight was a box office success because the expectations for it were much smaller (we all know expectations for box office are everything... Age of Ultron 1.4B disappointment anyone? :ph34r:) Jet Li was immensely popular back then, his previous movie series The Legend having grossed over HK$ 30,000,000 each, and so the expectations for Fist of Legend were higher than this one.

But also, back in 1990, movies would then turn to mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, etc, and make a lot of money there -- numbers which are sadly completely unavailable to the public for every single Hong Kong release. We only know it was profitable, a lot, from Jackie Chan's autobiography, who became rich overnight when his first releases were ultra-popular in Hong Kong and other markets at the beginning of the 80's.

By the mid 90's, grosses from those countries were starting to seriously dwindle.

So yeah, I could fill this whole top with just movies from that era (Jackie Chan alone made 2-3 movies a year during that time), but for variety's sake, I tried to limit their amount somewhat so that I could cover more ground. Expect a bunch of them still.

Anyway, on to She Shoots Straight, yes it's a bit melodramatic, yes there's a weird, heavy-handed tonal shift that's not executed so well...

But hot damn what marvelous action! And not only that, but the director invests in his characters so what follows is an interesting mesh of epic action scenes, rich character moments, and great fights.

Always a wonder to watch a movie made by someone who's got a real eye for action filmmaking. More on Corey Yuen -- one of my favorite Hong Kong directors -- later in this top. I don't wanna repeat myself too much.

Here's a review by Sean Gilman that summarizes what I think of this movie quite well:

Neither this nor the alternate title (Lethal Lady) capture the film very well. It's a film about family, specifically the kind of family where everyone is a cop. This family just happens to have a lot of daughters and only one son. Joyce Godenzi stars as the new addition as she marries the lone boy, the pride and joy of the family, The Other Tony Leung. Leung's sisters all hate Godenzi, out of jealousy for her crime-fighting skills and the fact that she "stole" their brother.

What this fight's all about

qM04hKm.gif

Although this is only the fight between the 2 ladies I'm talking about here, the whole sequence that precedes it (on the boat with Carina Lau chain-slicing with a machete) is almost equally as awesome and kinetic. Who is this Carina Lau and why haven't I seen her kick more ass in other movies? A frequent question when watching Hong Kong movies like this one, I would say.

Anyway, all the action sequences in this movie are A-grade stuff.

Such a shame that Joyce Godenzi married Sammo Hung and retired from acting early on, because she had it all! The acting chops, the screen presence and gravitas, the looks, the physicality (she performed impressive stunts)... a real star in the making! She also stars in License to Steal, a movie on my watchlist and Eastern Condors, an excellent Vietnam war movie.

Final note: this movie is part of the 'Girls with Guns' genre that was quite popular during the 80's and 90's in Hong Kong, and it certainly lives up to the name.

sequence:

Edited by Daxtreme
periodically fixing broken links
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Joyce Godenzi vs Agnes Aurelio

She Shoots Straight (1990)

Alternative title: Lethal Lady

eX07F2c.jpg

lGYfFuD.jpg

China (Cantonese)

CIMIWI8.gif

Directed by: Corey Yuen

Fight Choreography: Corey Yuen, Hoi Mang

Starring: Joyce Godenzi, Sammo Hung, Carina Lau

Box office: HK $9,962,865

Synopsis: Straight after her marriage, Hong Kong officer Mina Kao faces dangerous case of vietnamese criminal refugees.

So it begins.

This is the first Golden Age Hong Kong movie in this top, and it won't be the last. The modern 'Golden Age' period of action movies from Hong Kong started with Sammo Hung's Winners and Sinners (1983), starring Jackie Chan, and is widely considered to have ended with Legend of the Drunken Master (1994), also starring Jackie Chan.

Fist of Legend (1994), an earlier entry into this top, is one of the first movies that started to indicate a decline for the Hong Kong movie market, and thus, isn't part of that period.

This decline happened because of several factors, none of which have anything to do Hong Kong's handover from the UK to China in 1997.

1. Many talented Hong Kong filmmakers moved to Hollywood as a lot more money could be made there.

2. Neighboring markets, which were a big source of income for Hong Kong movies both for theatrical releases and video releases, started embracing Hollywood movies a lot more beginning around 1994.

3. Hong Kong moviegoers also started favoring Hollywood releases more.

4. Rampant video piracy in the mid 90's in Asia pretty much sealed the deal for Hong Kong productions.

That being said, you might notice that this movie grossed less than Fist of Legend (1994), which supposedly marked the beginning of Hong Kong's decline. Well, for one, She Shoots Straight was a box office success because the expectations for it were much smaller (we all know expectations for box office are everything... Age of Ultron 1.4B disappointment anyone? :ph34r:) Jet Li was immensely popular back then, his previous movie series The Legend having grossed over HK$ 30,000,000 each, and so the expectations for Fist of Legend were higher than this one.

But also, back in 1990, movies would then turn to mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, etc, and make a lot of money there -- numbers which are sadly completely unavailable to the public for every single Hong Kong release. We only know it was profitable, a lot, from Jackie Chan's autobiography, who became rich overnight when his first releases were ultra-popular in Hong Kong and other markets at the beginning of the 80's.

By the mid 90's, grosses from those countries were starting to seriously dwindle.

So yeah, I could fill this whole top with just movies from that era (Jackie Chan alone made 2-3 movies a year during that time), but for variety's sake, I tried to limit their amount somewhat so that I could cover more ground. Expect a bunch of them still.

Anyway, on to She Shoots Straight, yes it's a bit melodramatic, yes there's a weird, heavy-handed tonal shift that's not executed so well...

But hot damn what marvelous action! And not only that, but the director invests in his characters so what follows is an interesting mesh of epic action scenes, rich character moments, and great fights.

Always a wonder to watch a movie made by someone who's got a real eye for action filmmaking. More on Corey Yuen -- one of my favorite Hong Kong directors -- later in this top. I don't wanna repeat myself too much.

Here's a review by Sean Gilman that summarizes what I think of this movie quite well:

qM04hKm.gif

Although this is only the fight between the 2 ladies I'm talking about here, the whole sequence that precedes it (on the boat with Carina Lau chain-slicing with a machete) is almost equally as awesome and kinetic. Who is this Carina Lau and why haven't I seen her kick more ass in other movies? A frequent question when watching Hong Kong movies like this one, I would say.

Anyway, all the action sequences in this movie are A-grade stuff.

Such a shame that Joyce Godenzi married Sammo Hung and retired from acting early on, because she had it all! The acting chops, the screen presence and gravitas, the looks, the physicality (she performed impressive stunts)... a real star in the making! She also stars in License to Steal, a movie on my watchlist and Eastern Condors, an excellent Vietnam war movie.

Final note: this movie is part of the 'Girls with Guns' genre that was quite popular during the 80's and 90's in Hong Kong, and it certainly lives up to the name.

sequence:

Amazing fight here....and the music is very reminiscent of Brad Fiedel's score from the first Terminator.

• Like 1

Growing up in Windsor, which is the border town of Detroit, we had a lot of kung fu movies on TV on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.  I don't remember the names of them, but i'm pretty sure some of them are in here.  I'm pretty sure I have seen Fists and Guts. Or something very similar to it stylistically.  These are the kinds of movies I'd love watching as a young boy.  So much fun and some were quite violent.

• Like 1

Doing a last round of tags (mostly people I haven't tagged yet) -- remember, guess correctly the #1 fight sequence in this top and be awarded a free 1-month BOT gold account!

@Lucas @ThomasNicole @Taylor @langer @Jonwo @George Parr @miketheavenger @MrGlass2

@Elessar @Mojoguy @Thanos Legion @pepsa @Boxofficerules @Orestes @DMan7 @AJG @Ithil @LOGAN'sLuckyRun @Alli @Biggestgeekever @JB33 @Kraken @Impact  @eXtacy @eXtacy2 @SpiritComix @iHeartJames @FantasticBeasts @TMP @YourMother the Edgelord @MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie @Moviefanatic @Blaze Heatnix @Fake @#ED @TheMovieman @sdeezy @wildphantom @Mr Impossible

@Bishop54 @cookie @MrFanaticGuy34 @Frozen @zackzack @sfran43 @ZeeSoh

You have until I start the top 25 (a quick estimate would be not too long after this week-end)

New entries coming today, spanning over 40 years!

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Doing a last round of tags (mostly people I haven't tagged yet) -- remember, guess correctly the #1 fight sequence in this top and be awarded a free 1-month BOT gold account!

@Lucas @ThomasNicole @Taylor @langer @Jonwo @George Parr @miketheavenger @MrGlass2

@Elessar @Mojoguy @Thanos Legion @pepsa @Boxofficerules @Orestes @DMan7 @AJG @Ithil @LOGAN'sLuckyRun @Alli @Biggestgeekever @JB33 @Kraken @Impact  @eXtacy @eXtacy2 @SpiritComix @iHeartJames @FantasticBeasts @TMP @YourMother the Edgelord @MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie @Moviefanatic @Blaze Heatnix @Fake @#ED @TheMovieman @sdeezy @wildphantom @Mr Impossible

@Bishop54 @cookie @MrFanaticGuy34 @Frozen @zackzack @sfran43 @ZeeSoh

You have until I start the top 25 (a quick estimate would be not too long after this week-end)

New entries coming today, spanning over 40 years!

I wouldn't get that even If it was a choice between 2.

:whosad:

• Haha 1

Bruce Lee vs a whole dojo

Fist of Fury (1972)

Alternative title: The Chinese Connection

J5lmz39.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

Directed by: Wei Lo

Fight Choreography: Bruce Lee, Ying-Chieh Han

Starring: Bruce Lee

Box office - Hong Kong: HK$4,431,423 North America: US$3,400,000

Synopsis: A young man seeks vengeance for the death of his teacher.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

A movie which has about as many different names as it has countries of release, it even so much as has 2 different English names: The Chinese Connection, and Fist of Fury (not to be confused with Fists of Fury / The Big Boss, a different movie!)

So this is about Bruce Lee showing who's boss in here.

As all Bruce Lee movies were, it was quite popular in North America, especially for a martial arts flick at the time.

What this sequence's all about

This is as classic as it gets, Bruce Lee playing a legendary martial artist from the past (as if he wasn't a legend enough) kicking the asses of a whole Japanese dojo, coupled with his almost-trademarked screams. This is an excellent vintage fight.

BONUS:

Someone edited Bruce Lee's nunchucks by transforming them into lightsabers.

See for yourself how amazing that is.

jkQQY00.gif

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

Scott Adkins vs Marko Zaror | Final fight

Undisputed 3: Redemption (2010)

l85enzp.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

Directed by: Isaac Florentine

Fight Choreography: Larnell Stovall, Isaac Florentine

Starring: Scott Adkins, Mykel Shannon Jenkins, Mark Ivanir

Box office: Direct-to-video title

Synopsis: Boyka is back. This time he is fighting in the first ever inter-prison tournament with one knee.

My rating for this movie: ★★★

Isaac Florentine, and especially Scott Adkins, are names to watch in the martial arts movie scene.

Expect more from them still.

Undisputed 3 is quite heavy-handed at times, and sadly, although Isaac Florentine is a great action director who really knows how to frame a fight, that's where his talents end in my opinion. At least the rest of the movie isn't cheesy, as opposed to some of his other work. It's just... not that good.

Fortunately though, about 50% of the movie is just people fighting each other, and since it's the director's strongest suit, it kinda works!

Oh and the fight choreography is great, as you may have guessed.

oJeIzEA.gif

Up until now, none of the fights in the movie had any real gravitas. It was just random people... fighting. But this fight has a lot more on the line -- we know now that if Scott Adkins loses, he dies (while the other fighter doesn't, even if he loses), along with a few more problems on the side. Also, everyone's betting against him.

And he has to overcome his knee problem.

The 3rd act of this movie kinda salvages the movie, which is why I gave it a positive rating overall. I was really enjoying myself! They managed to successfully bring in effective drama and throwbacks and weave them into the final parts in a way that didn't feel cheap.

It was basically like watching a live MMA match but with more on the line, which was kinda interesting.

If that's your sort of thing, I recommend this movie, although you should watch Undisputed 2 first, which also has some great fights (and the great Michael Jai White).

If you're a fan of what you see, check out other movies starring Scott Adkins by the same director too, all of them featuring questionable writing and acting but great fights, as expected.

And lastly, a shout-out to Lateef Crowder who puts on display some awesome capoeira here! Both his fights are awesome.

sequence:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

Nice job so far!

I have no idea what is going to be number 1, but one fight scene I always like showing people is this one, so that's my guess.

Also from Panna Rittikrai, same as Chocolate.  

Protector's story is ehhh, but there's this fight, the tracking shot, a warehouse Rumble in the Bronx style fight.  It's real good.  

• Like 2

Michelle Yeoh vs Ying Bai | Final fight

Royal Warriors (1986)

Alternative title: In the Line of Duty

VBG8kAN.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

Directed by: David Chung

Fight Choreography: Hoi Mang

Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Michael Wong, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ying Bai

Box office - N/A (it was a hit in Hong Kong -- the In the Line of Duty franchise has 7 installments)

Synopsis: A Hong Kong police officer (Michelle Yeoh) and a flight security agent (Michael Wong) form an alliance to foil a hijacking.

bIJ7cHx.gif

Fresh out of her first Hong Kong box office success Yes, Madam! one year before, Michelle Yeoh continued her ascension as the "female Jackie Chan" in action movies such as this one. At the height of her career (circa 1993), she was known as the "Queen of Martial Arts" in Asia.

Also in this movie is the incredibly talented Japanese martial artist and actor Hiroyuki Sanada (The Wolverine, Rush Hour 3, The Last Samurai) who has a few great sequences as well, and Michael Wong playing a character named... Michael Wong, who basically fills the gender-reversed 'dude in distress' role whom Michelle has to rescue.

Yup! That's what's so great about Michelle Yeoh in general: she always plays those badass roles that are also simultaneously very feminine like when she accepts flowers from a guy while smiling shyly then, soon after, runs after a thug by shredding her dress and drop-kicking his ass. It's a strange dissonance that just... works!

Here's a review from Tao A on letterboxd that summarizes why you should watch this:

If hand-to-hand combat that puts every modern day Hollywood action movie to shame, insane car chases with genuinely no regard for human life, a nightclub shootout with more shattered glass than the climax of Police Story, and a killer synth score still doesn't convince you to see this (what is wrong with you), then Michelle Yeoh driving an armored battle truck and proceeding to fight a dude with a chainsaw most definitely will.

And in typical 80's Hong Kong fashion, the action never disappoints.

What this fight sequence's all about

Not drawn out at all (compared to some entries in this top), this fight shines because of just how brutal and raw it is, which is quite unusual coming from Michelle, who typically goes for Jackie Chan's Action/Comedy style whenever possible. She will later star alongside Jackie in Police Story 3 - Supercop (1992) and match him stunt-for-stunt and fight-for-fight.

Overall though, this movie and sequence kick all sorts of ass. It's pure kinetic, bone-crunching, over the top action that just 100% goes with it, complete with exaggerated music and epic stunts.

There are so many amazing action sequences in this movie. They are choreographed by long-time friend of Jackie Chan and member of his stunt team, Hoi Mang, who generally stuck to 'Girls with Guns' movies.

I mean, seriously, how awesome is it to watch people beat the crap out of each other while this plays in the background?

Answer: it's freakin amazing.

I remember thinking "I can't wait to watch this one again" as soon as it finished, which is quite something for a movie like that. And look at that poster! Damn. Definitely a winner.

Sadly, the scene is not on YouTube. The movie is on Amazon Prime though!

Here's an excerpt:

Cx8BmKm.gif

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My favourite action scene is probably the whole sequence in Kill Bill Vol 1 from the time the bride starts fighting Gogo, to the fight against the crazy 88 and culminating in the epic show down between the bride and O Ren Ishii. The choreography is amazing and the music elevates the whole thing to a whole new level. 

But for the top 1 pick I will go with Enter the Dragon fight between Bruce Lee and Han. It is perhaps the most classic fight in movie history. @Daxtreme thats my pick

• Like 1

Tony Jaa vs Jing Wu vs The Prison | feat. Jin Zhang

SPL: Kill Zone 2 (2015)

Y2gjHst.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese & Thai)

HvvA2mT.gif

Directed by: Pou-Soi Cheang

Fight Choreography: Chung Chi Li, Ken Lo, Jack Wai-Leung Wong

Starring: Tony Jaa, Jing Wu, Simon Yam, Jin Zhang

Worldwide Box office - $90,270,000M ($11,998 domestic!)

Synopsis: While undercover officer Kit is taken prisoner by the syndicate, he befriends his keeper and discovers an organ trafficking ring.

My rating for this movie: ★★½

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

SPL 2 is a mostly forgettable action movie except for one great sequence. Its main stars (Jing Wu and Tony Jaa) both have better roles in other movies.

You might know Jing Wu from his huge box office hit in China Wolf Warrior 2 (2016), which he directed and starred in.

It's also Tony Jaa's first appearance in this top, following fellow female Thai martial artist JeeJa Yanin, who basically learned martial arts because of him. Can you guess which other movies of his will make it?

74JvoaO.jpg

Filmed in mostly long, sweeping takes, the prison sequence is incredibly well-choreographed and features a cameo appearance by rising martial arts star Jin Zhang. Sadly, that's about as good as the movie gets on the fighting front as the other sequences aren't nearly up to the standards set by this sequence early on in the movie. Still, this one involves Tony Jaa's character running after Wu Jing's character looking for his phone as a riot begins in the prison. All hell breaks loose, and the camera follows our characters trying to fend off each other and the crowd as well in an incredibly well-filmed action sequence. The logistics behind this fight must have been headache-inducing, to say the least.

It is definitely worth it to watch this sequence on YouTube, as it's really something. The rest of the movie doesn't amount to much, however, although the ending fight is quite entertaining to watch.

Scene:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3