Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it was a fun time and I enjoyed some of the universe expansion that was done with the Crimson Dawn, droid revolutionaries, and such.

Darth Maul was a neat hook, but it didn’t really elevate the movie any at the end.

The entire thing was pretty much a traditional blockbuster.  It was fun escapism, I don’t think it did for Han what RO did for a New Hope though (in that it ended up being a good companion piece that made the original a better movie) in that I’m not going to watch Han Solo and get any new insight in the character.  That being said it’s entertaining, and I may end up figuring out a spot to squeeze it in whenever I do my Star Wars marathons.

I don’t really have major complaints about it other than it’s not too exciteable because the nature of a prequel is creating stakes is much harder when you know Qi’ra is not a keeper, that he gets the Falcon, and that Han and Chewie are going to pull the whole thing off.  

Anyways, it’s a fun movie, it’s not the phenomenal films that TLJ or TFA were but few movies are.  I’d say it’s much better than all of the bad Star Wars films (TPM and AOTC), not quite as good as the two really good ones (ROTS and RO), and definitely not on the top-tier Star Wars level (the rest of them). B/B+

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 3

Man the first 20 minutes or so of this are ROUGH. Wowza. It picks up well after that. Still don't understand Clarke's character motivations, why they had Han, uh start the rebellion, and what the fuck Darth Maul's issues are. But when its rolling as a heist-adventure, it's actually alot of fun. Does a great job of establishing characters, giving them clear stakes, and playing them out in a fun way. So the three big setpieces are alot better than most blockbusters these days. Also, thought Alden was pretty great - a rough approximation of what a young Solo would seem like. Rest of cast good, too. Could have used directors better in banter and buddy comedy - it's almost as if they fired the best guys working at that midway through production! 

It's fine, kinda pointless, kinda negates the point of OT Han at the same time. But alot of it is fun heist adventure with a good cast and solid pacing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AJG said:

It’s been 24 hours.... 

Yep. It’s gone. I cannot remember this movie, specifically the second act. Couldn’t tell you what happened there.

Have you been checked for alzheimers?  

• Haha 2

Just saw it a second time and liked it even more than the first viewing. The friend I was with also really enjoyed it and she's a pretty big Star Wars fans (who also loved TLJ). People in general seemed to like it as well there was a decent buzz afterwards afterward and this showing was a lot more full.

An old dude next to my friend really got into it as well, he leaned forward a few times during the film and after they escaped that tentacle monster he exclaimed out loud that that was tense. So I'm fairly certain he had a good time. :D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Oh no she didn't get who Darth Maul was. I'm guessing she was also lost when Han Solo said he did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs in ANH. Good thing they made this movie so now she knows. But man now people who see ANH without seeing Solo aren't going to know that reference. Why can't ANH stand on its own without having any prior knowledge?

(Just pointing out this is kinda a ridiculous position to take for a franchise film. Like if you miss some franchise movies you can't expect future franchise movies to never reference them and shit. That's insane. Franchise movies build their story, their characters, their references based on what happened before.)

Except there's a massive difference between a throwaway line and something that actually means something and impacts the whole story. These two aren't interchangeable in the slightest.

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Except there's a massive difference between a throwaway line and something that actually means something and impacts the whole story. These two aren't interchangeable in the slightest.

I guess Rose shouldn't be in Episode 9 because some people might see Episode 9 who didn't see Episode 8 by your logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

saw this at 9:30 am this morning and it was basically a sell out.  crowd seem to really like it.  love the Maul cameo and overall, it was a fun movie.  I'd give it at least a B+, maybe higher

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was pretty bored by this, to be honest. It wasn't TPM bad, but it alternated between lazy fan service and just laughably bizarre (i.e. sexy-walking droid dying in Lando's arms). I liked most of the cast and the action was decent but overall this was the worst of the Disney Star Wars for me. Not surprised it's underperforming.

• Community Manager

My brand new current Star Wars rankings:

1) A New Hope

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) The Force Awakens (suck it TFA haters)

4) Return of the Jedi

5) Rogue One (suck it RO haters)

6) The Last Jedi (suck it TLJ haters)

7) Revenge of the Sith

8) Solo (suck it Solo haters)

9) The Phantom Menace (suck it TPM haters)

10) Attack of the Clones

11) The Clone Wars animated movie

@Porthos @4815162342 @any other star wars fan 

• Like 3

@Water Bottle as a huge SW fan, I tend to tune out the bad parts and focus on the good parts more.  This would be the reason why the prequels rank much higher in my rankings.

1. ESB

2. ROTJ

3. ROTS

4. TPM

5. TFA

6. R1

7. TLJ

8. ANH

9. SOLO

10. AOTC

11. TCW

I'm really not a fan of the pacing that ANH has.  I understand it's a very different movie era, but I just can't rewatch it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

This was fun, just like every single other Star Wars movie before this one. Fun, good blockbusters. I'm not sure why the reviews are a bit worse than the last three or four of them, it's really not much worse, they're all just fun entertainment. I hope we keep getting them every year, I like this type of blockbusters.

As a side note, Alden was a lot better than I thought he'd be as a young Solo. I was expecting him to ruin the movie somehow and he really didn't, big relief there.

• Thanks 1

Definitely the best Disney SW movie. It was fun from start to finish, had some great lines, was well acted and some neat, but often subtle, fan service. L3 being the Falcons computer is really nice, ties in well with the OT and the Han and Chewie bromance worked perfectly.

It was a lot more fun than RO, and the characters were more likeable.

Much more consistent than TLJ, there wasnt much to upset 'fans', not much wasted potential.

Better on every level than TFA. It managed to be both fan service and new, its characters were interesting, the story was engaging and the universe seemed large and rich again. None of that was true of TFA.

1. ESB
  2. ANH
  3. Solo
  4. Jedi
  5. RO
  6. ROTS
  7. TLJ
  8. TPM
  9. AOTC
  10. TFA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

My brand new current Star Wars rankings:

1) A New Hope

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) The Force Awakens (suck it TFA haters)

4) Return of the Jedi

5) Rogue One (suck it RO haters)

6) The Last Jedi (suck it TLJ haters)

7) Revenge of the Sith

8) Solo (suck it Solo haters)

9) The Phantom Menace (suck it TPM haters)

10) Attack of the Clones

11) The Clone Wars animated movie

@Porthos @4815162342 @any other star wars fan 

I've got a lot of sucking to do  :apocalypse:

1) EMPIRE
2) ANH

3) ROTJ

4) Revenge of the Sith

5) A Phantom Menance

6) Attack of the Clones

7) Rogue One

8) The Last Jedi

9) The Force Awakens

Don't know where Solo would come into this.

Love the prequel trilogy although I was it's target audience (a kid)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

Solo had a really nice mix of the feel of both OT and PT, and avoided most of the garbage of the ST. It feels to me like a product of 1-6 and the EU, and its as if 7 and 8 never happened. If only..

The sad thing is LF will probably take its BO failure as sign it went wrong here, when it actually went wrong at TFA by painting itself into a corner of boring and mediocre.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Thanks 2