Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

Listening to the score standalone and the big recurring cue in the theme John Williams did for the film seems very similar to the cue Williams did with Poe in the ST.

I guess the best pilots have the same music.

36 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

From what I am seeing seems like the type of movie everyone will like but no one will go nuts about. Thta's good, reception should be better than TLJ.

Nope, because what you just described is dispassionate/agreeable liking and that doesn't produce repeat business nor converts those on the fence to see it. TLJ may have passionate detractors and but it also has passionate supporters, and in both cases passion means care (only the detractiors are disappointed and care in the sense of "what could have been"). Nobody cares for Alright movies. Everyone moves on from them. 

20 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Listening to the score standalone and the big recurring cue in the theme John Williams did for the film seems very similar to the cue Williams did with Poe in the ST.

I guess the best pilots have the same music.

I really really loved the "Here they come" and Asteroid music medley during the Kessel Run.

The other tunes were okay, I didn't care for them as much. It's a shame that's they have to use the original score so much but that medley was well placed and made sense considering they were both chased by Ties and flying into an asteroid field.

41 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

From what I am seeing seems like the type of movie everyone will like but no one will go nuts about. Thta's good, reception should be better than TLJ.

I get what you say.

But I think I want to see Solo again, and I'll definitly recommend it.

I cannot say the same with previous entries.

• Like 1

This was... fine.  Exactly what you would expect (which is probably an issue in itself, to be honest).

But good lord is it the most prequel-y prequel I have ever seen, particularly in the way it compresses the timeline of significant events in Han's life.

So, now we know that Han met Chewie, got his blaster, met Lando, did the Kessel Run, and won the Falcon all in the space of a couple days -- and, oh, apparently starts working for Jabba (and probably meets Boba Fett) the week after that. 

I kind of hate that almost everything we know about Han from the OT seems to have happened over one crazy weekend.  It's like they decided to take the things people hate most about prequels (in general, not the PT) and lean into them as hard as they could.

Thought this movie was very meh!

No stakes, no heart, just a lot of guns and noise. The movie is fun at times but fails to bring anything substantial or memorable to the plate. 

Plus I felt like the film had like a million different endings and there was some seriously cringe dialogue. 

Alden did better that I thought but he still looks nothing like Harrison and I thought Glover was doing a characiture of Lando the whole movie. Clarke was good though. She may have been my favorite part. 

Edited by Box Office Freak

I enjoyed it.  Wasn't blown away, but was consistently entertained. 

16 minutes ago, Box Office Freak said:

Alden did better that I thought but he still looks nothing like Harrison and I thought Glover was doing a characiture of Lando the whole movie. Clarke was good though. She may have been my favorite part. 

I felt the same way about Glover's Lando.  I know he got a ton of praise from critics, but I actually thought it was a bit over the top and lacked BDW's smoothness, though I guess you could argue that came with age.  I liked Alden just fine, and it was probably a good choice for him NOT to try to mimic Harrison, since it wasn't going to happen.  Emilia was surprisingly good and had an interesting character arc where she wasn't evil, just a survivor, but was ultimately out to protect herself and you kind of got why. 

I did like some of the little shoutouts, like Lando mispronouncing Han and Chewie pulling people's arms off.  That was funny.  Also, Han just shooting Tobias at the end was a big meta FU to the whole Greedo thing, and I loved that.  That was the part that got the biggest reaction at our showing last night.

I'll probably see it again, but I'm not ready to rush out and do it right now like I was with IW or TFA.  It's just sort of sitting over there being a perfectly fine movie, but nothing exceedingly special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

This was... fine.  Exactly what you would expect (which is probably an issue in itself, to be honest).

But good lord is it the most prequel-y prequel I have ever seen, particularly in the way it compresses the timeline of significant events in Han's life.

So, now we know that Han met Chewie, got his blaster, met Lando, did the Kessel Run, and won the Falcon all in the space of a couple days -- and, oh, apparently starts working for Jabba (and probably meets Boba Fett) the week after that. 

I kind of hate that almost everything we know about Han from the OT seems to have happened over one crazy weekend.  It's like they decided to take the things people hate most about prequels (in general, not the PT) and lean into them as hard as they could.

It's a valid point. OTOH, those are the key events of Han's pre-ANH life that we as fans want to know about/care about. Would it have been a better film if each of the events you mentioned came after a "Six Months Later" notice? I generally prefer compressed, tight storytelling to episodic epics (which is why I just don't love "The Godfather" as much as most people - sorry!), so I was OK with it. Yeah, it felt fan-fictiony to a point, but there were some surprises/heretofore unknown elements, too.  Becket and Q'ira are key figures in young Han's life that we never heard of in the OT, for example, and they're intriguing characters in this film, so it's not all fan service.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Harris said:

It's a valid point. OTOH, those are the key events of Han's pre-ANH life that we as fans want to know about/care about. Would it have been a better film if each of the events you mentioned came after a "Six Months Later" notice? I generally prefer compressed, tight storytelling to episodic epics (which is why I just don't love "The Godfather" as much as most people - sorry!), so I was OK with it. Yeah, it felt fan-fictiony to a point, but there were some surprises/heretofore unknown elements, too.  Becket and Q'ira are key figures in young Han's life that we never heard of in the OT, for example, and they're intriguing characters in this film, so it's not all fan service.

I would say the solution would be to pare down the "iconic events" that you choose to depict in one film.  Just establishing the Han/Chewie relationship and winning the Falcon from Lando would have been plenty to build a film around.  Save some stuff for future stories or just leave it a mystery if those films never happen.

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Yeah that about sums it up.  

4 hours ago, RascarCapat said:

I think you meant to say : Till they run into a dead end

Hmm not sure if we are speaking about the same scene, I mean that one

I see hints for that kind of behaviour in the actual Solo film, already in the 3y earlier part and in the 3y later part repeatedly

3 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

... all in the space of a couple days -- and, oh, apparently starts working for Jabba (and probably meets Boba Fett) the week after that. 
 kind of hate that almost everything we know about Han from the OT seems to have happened over one crazy weekend.  It's like they decided to take the things people hate most about prequels (in general, not the PT) and lean into them as hard as they could.

It does have an 3y earlier part and there should be a bit between Han shoots Becket and meets up with Lando again. Plus to me it looks like its more than a couple of days, a couple of days Val still lived in the movie at least

I want to see it again

I do prefer not to see every time an event movie, that would be a bit too much high whatever, I prefer a change of notes.

Thought how to describe it for @MovieMan89 asking how to leave the expectations before the door:

Do not expect it to be something pushing to new levels like so many films do (action genre, SH genre,..)

Some prefer the showy gala event with lots of entertainment, like a famous rockband with lightshow and all the works, drowning out the thoughts or...

And some prefer the get together, where ppl can still breath, actually think whilst enjoying the relaxed atmosphere of an quality solo instrumental music entertainment person

Lets say you are a fan of musician xy and have only seen his/her big gigs, you might be not enjoying it, if seeing/hearing him/her using 'only' an acoustic guitar before a small audience / on a smaller stage than you are used to. Or you embrace it for what it is and enjoy the evening

At least to me that is the difference between Solo and SW 7 in a way. In my POV it does not take away anything from the other, its just not the same

Oh, and finally a SW movie where neither a death star needs to be destroyed (not even a word about one) nor the survival of The resistance, a planet in the threat to get blown up.

Compared to the other SW films nothing even similar big is at stakes - but see Romancing the Stone... there does not have to be always such high stakes.

And, if Han wouldn't have helped the starting resistance would have has already their ~ super-fuel, a point more against Han starting the rebellion idea