Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

Seems like I'm not alone in really liking this.  I figured I'd at least have a good time, some good action/chase sequences, and had read Alden was good and they got the chewy/han relationship.  So I was optimistic I'd like it.  But it was a notch above just like and "had fun" for me.  It was pretty non-stop action, which I'm always down for, and especially after that last Star Wars movie which will not be named, that dragged.  Alden was f'ing great.  I actually thought everyone did a good job all the way around - but Alden def stood out.  He made me smirk, laugh, and brought the charisma just like Harrison did for me back as a youngster.  Some of the ending with all the double crosses lingered on a little long, but I don't have too many gripes.  Makes me a lil sad that this is the Star Wars movie bombing when the other movie should've been the bomb.  

Edited by holcs
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LonePirate said:

It was only a matter of time for somebody to say this:

Imagine being the kind of person who goes to see this movie and that's the big thing they take away from it. Imagine that. 

• Disbelief 1

When you've lost even the biggest Star Wars fangirl. She makes a lot of great points about all the missed opportunities for humor in the film, tons of reasonable speculation about what was in the Lord and Miller version. RELEASE THE LORD AND MILLER CUT

Edited by Pure Spirit

Anyway L3 was the thing that fell flat the most for me. Wokeness doesn't really work as a defining/sole character trait in the first place, and here it's like nails on a chalkboard especially against the overall tone. Glover still managed to sell her final scene, though, no small feat.

Thandie Newton was wasted for sure. She was cool enough to be worth hanging with for the entire movie, and hell if they really wanted to kill somebody off during that sequence it shoulda been Harrelson. That would've been a neat trope reversal plus don't get me wrong I love the guy and he's typically good here but it's not like there's any shortage of him in movies these days. 

While the fanservice is integrated pretty well in most of the first two hours it goes way out of control in the final stretch, except for the Shooting First moment. I felt kinda burned out during that whole part with the teenage marauders and endless double crosses and shit, not that the latter is a bad thing by itself but the movie totally blew its load by the time the maelstrom sequence ended, I was like it's been two hours can we maybe wrap this up quick and go home now? Not a fan of Bradford Young wanting to make this the most underlit blockbuster ever made even if it does occasionally result in some gorgeous shots, and while Howard's steady hand gives the movie a unified tone and consistent energy there are no genuine showstopping or iconic moments here.

That's a lot of grumbling about a movie that I actually enjoyed for the most part. Ehrenreich's performance actually hits that sweet spot between Han as naive kid and Han in ANH, and everyone else is solid; there's a can-do spirit to the eventual ensemble of characters that's immediately winning. The train heist is some very nice Star Wars action, in particular in how physical and tangible it feels (most of that must have been models/miniatures, right?), and the movie doesn't let up for a full hour afterwards, just a fun ride done reasonably smoothly. 

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Last Jedi

4. Return

5. Sith

6. Solo

7. Clones

8. Menace

9. TFA

10. Rogue

• Like 3

Finally saw it. First half really dragged, and the train robbery just plain lacked the kind of exctiment and zip you needed to PUll that kind of scene off.

But ir really picked up the pace once they reached Lando's cassion, and the second half was a lot of fun.

And in the last section of the film, Kasden and Howard  really went for the "Han Solo as a sci fi version of the classic Old West Gunfighter"bit ;not a surprise given Kasden's love of the Western genre. And the final Han/Beckett showdown swiped an awful lot from the Kevin Klein/Brain Dennahy showdown in Kasden's 'Silverado".

But the whole Game Of Thrones Joke/Referecne evoked mixed laughter and groans at my showing. I would bet that Lord and Miller were responsible for that one.

And Daneild Glover stole the film as Lando. he was near perfect;got the Lando mannerisms down pat, but never went over the line into a Billy Dee Williams imitation. Ehrenberg was not bad as the young Solo,but nowhere near as good as Glover was.

And Darth Maul was, well, just wrong. Poor Maul has gone down a lot in the universe, from being a all powerful Sithlord to a common gangster. A powerful gangster, yes, but still quite a drop for a Sith Lord.

Edited by dudalb

10 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Imagine being the kind of person who goes to see this movie and that's the big thing they take away from it. Imagine that. 

And missed the opportunity????

It pretty much forced it down the audeinces' throat. Howard had enough sense to try to dlute it with humor, but still felt forced.

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

And missed the opportunity????

It pretty much forced it down the audeinces' throat. Howard had enough sense to try to dlute it with humor, but still felt forced.

I thought she had a point and I loved it when she referred to Lando disparagingly as her "Flesh Overlord". 

But looking at the SW world there's rampant slavery and subjugation for both the fleshed and metallic.

Edited by TalismanRing

21 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

When you've lost even the biggest Star Wars fangirl. She makes a lot of great points about all the missed opportunities for humor in the film, tons of reasonable speculation about what was in the Lord and Miller version. RELEASE THE LORD AND MILLER CUT

She's definitely not the kind of person who'd ever enjoy a movie like this. You can nitpick such a movie to death if you want or you can just acknowledge its flaws and still have fun with it.

I watch some of her videos and like some of her points but we all know she's the nitpicky type. Which is fine really(she's a good counterpoint to my optimistic outlook on blockbusters in general) but sadly you can't be like that and always enjoy a movie like this.

I wonder if people would like this movie more or less if it wasn't Star Wars related?

43 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Reading the plot of this movie, this is about as small scale as some plot lines in the Star Wars Clone Wars tv show. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that?

The 8 main films are called EPISODES in case you hadn't noticed. This is a spin off that shows one of han solo's adventures.

It's bigger in scaled than Last Jedi at least which was just two ships chasing each other than landing and having a fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

What's wrong with that?

The 8 main films are called EPISODES in case you hadn't noticed. This is a spin off that shows one of han solo's adventures.

It's bigger in scaled than Last Jedi at least which was just two ships chasing each other than landing and having a fight.

Its a decision that cost 100's of millions of dollars in box office, as many wonder what is the point. To me, this is not even a complete origin story in that it leads to Han Solo before ANH which I think would be much better appreciated. 

Rogue One at least had a clear purpose as it was a prequel that led directly to the events of the OT

On 6/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, Pure Spirit said:

I don't think they've lost her.  She hated Rogue One and loved TLJ.

17 hours ago, John Marston said:

really? It seems it has excited most fans. 

And has been criticized by some fans as being out of place in the movie, not fitting in well with how Darth Maul was portrayed in TPM,and almost like a deperate attempt to appeal to fans.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

And has been criticized by some fans as being out of place in the movie, not fitting in well with how Darth Maul was portrayed in TPM,and almost like a deperate attempt to appeal to fans.

I haven’t seen anything like that 

I see it being the thing most people are talking about to see how he could appear in future Sw movies, and people happy the Clone Wars and Rebels shows are being treated like canon

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its a decision that cost 100's of millions of dollars in box office, as many wonder what is the point. To me, this is not even a complete origin story in that it leads to Han Solo before ANH which I think would be much better appreciated. 

Rogue One at least had a clear purpose as it was a prequel that led directly to the events of the OT

I was not overthrilled with Solo, but the problems were with the execution rather then the premise. And I totally reject your viewpoint that stories with a smaller scale and not tied in closely with the "Saga" have no place in the SW Universe.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I was not overthrilled with Solo, but the problems were with the execution rather then the premise. And I totally reject your viewpoint that stories with a smaller scale and not tied in closely with the "Saga" have no place in the SW Universe.

That is not what I meant, I enjoyed the small scale stories told in the Tv shows a lot as it really explored the world of Star Wars. 

Just making them with a 300 million major blockbuster budget is stupidity of the highest order.

Alden's fine but I really could see moments where he was trying to go very broad and they probably had to reign him in (maybe a residual from the Lord & Miller Ace Ventura style lol). Would've worked better if the look of the movie wasn't so dark though.

Overall, totally forgettable and rather boring at times but not offensively bad or anything.

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Reading the plot of this movie, this is about as small scale as some plot lines in the Star Wars Clone Wars tv show. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just go see it instead of reading the plot and judging it that way.

My opinion is that people who have not seen a movie have no right to judge or critique it. You can judge/critique the box office, sure, but dont commenr on where the movie went wrong unless you have gotten up off your ass and seen it.

Many people here who have seen it admitted it was actually a pretty good movie and that its box office was doomed from the get go. After seeing it myself, I refuse to believe the movie is bombing because of its quality. It's just that all the big babies out there can't get over TLJ and give this movie a chance. This is coming from someone who was HIGHLY critical of TLJ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1