Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

Re-watching scenes of this while at work, Paul Bettany is REALLY good in this.

Also wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of Qi’ra novel or something cause her story would be interesting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of Qi’ra novel or something cause her story would be interesting

I agree on Bettany, wish he was in this more.

25 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why don't you just go see it instead of reading the plot and judging it that way.

My opinion is that people who have not seen a movie have no right to judge or critique it. You can judge/critique the box office, sure, but dont commenr on where the movie went wrong unless you have gotten up off your ass and seen it.

Many people here who have seen it admitted it was actually a pretty good movie and that its box office was doomed from the get go. After seeing it myself, I refuse to believe the movie is bombing because of its quality. It's just that all the big babies out there can't get over TLJ and give this movie a chance. This is coming from someone who was HIGHLY critical of TLJ. 

I will watch this for sure but likely at home which I think the vast majority of the SW fanbase will likely do I imagine.

In today's age, if a blockbuster film cant gets people to watch it urgently, it usually underperforms as films come out in 3 months afterwards. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

51 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That is not what I meant, I enjoyed the small scale stories told in the Tv shows a lot as it really explored the world of Star Wars. 

Just making them with a 300 million major blockbuster budget is stupidity of the highest order.

It is interesting that the whole business idea behind the SW Story movies was they could be done on  amuch  lower budget then the Saga films, but that sure as hell is not what happened.

The filming of "Solo" regardless of what you think about it as a movie, was pretty much a nightmare  from a business point of view. We have seen nothing like almost all of a 90% completed film having to be reshot with a different director in a long,long, time. In fact, I think we have go back to the Liz Taylor Cleopatra for anything comparable. And Kennedy has to take the blame for that.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I have been something of a Bettany fan ever since "Master And Commander". (and damn, I would love ,somehow, for him and Rusell Crowe to be able to film another Patrick O Brien novel) ;Even when the film was not very good, he always was.

27 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hopefully she would show up in a Kenobi movie? :sarah:

Her own spin-off could have been even better but now... it is unlikely to happen (or a Solo 2). In any case, Clarke certainly isn't to blame even if another flop won't look good on her filmography.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why don't you just go see it instead of reading the plot and judging it that way.

My opinion is that people who have not seen a movie have no right to judge or critique it. You can judge/critique the box office, sure, but dont commenr on where the movie went wrong unless you have gotten up off your ass and seen it.

Many people here who have seen it admitted it was actually a pretty good movie and that its box office was doomed from the get go. After seeing it myself, I refuse to believe the movie is bombing because of its quality. It's just that all the big babies out there can't get over TLJ and give this movie a chance. This is coming from someone who was HIGHLY critical of TLJ. 

Movies that you like are going to bomb all the time.. Get used to it.

And I doubt that TLJ hurt it all that much. You way overestimate the power of fanboys.

In the end, I think skepticism about a Solo "origin" movie,the heavily publicized problems the movie had during it's making (people had a right to be concerned that the chaos of the filming might have a negative impact on the quality of the film ),and maybe opening just too damn soon after TLJ (which I overall liked, btw). If TLJ has a impact on the Solo box office, I think that was it. Franchise Fatigue. SW is not a franchise like Marvel where you have enough variety to get away with 3 or 4 releases a year.

And the weak marketing did not help matters any with the General Audience.

"Pretty Good" is the way I feel about the film. I though the first hour was slow,with the chases on Corellia and the Train Robbery being very much by the numbers and just not very interesting, but the film picked up enormously after Han and Qi'ya reunited.

And if they did not have the massive cost overruns due to the decision to reshoot most of the film they would have probably broke even.

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Clarke would never be able to carry her own spinoff lol maybe if they had cast Tessa Thompson like originally rumored.

A friend of mind thinks Qi'ya was pretty much swiped from Mara Jade.....

I thought that Clarke was fine,that the problem was some weak writing for Qi'ya. And I could have done without that lame "Game of Thrones" joke.

What is Disney more likely to do?

- Cancel all prequels.

- Go ahead with Kenobi or Fett, but pretend Solo never happened.

- Cancel a Solo2 but include these characters in other prequels.

I am mostly wondering if we will ever see :sarah:or Lando again.

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A friend of mind thinks Qi'ya was pretty much swiped from Mara Jade.....

I thought that Clarke was fine,that the problem was some weak writing for Qi'ya. And I could have done without that lame "Game of Thrones" joke.

I thought Enfys Nest was gonna be a Mara Jade ripoff (she even has red hair) but then she was a good guy lol;

57 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

- Cancel all prequels.

I think the big change is that Disney is really going to reign in Kennedys' fondness for hiring young, hot shot directors for the Star wars films on the basis of a couple of successful low and mid level budget films. I suspect the directors and writers with a long history of success in big budget tentpole projects will be chosen in the future; what they used to call "Journeymen Directors".

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think the big change is that Disney is really going to reign in Kennedys' fondness for hiring young, hot shot directors for the Star wars films on the basis of a couple of successful low and mid level budget films. I suspect the directors and writers with a long history of success in big budget tentpole projects will be chosen in the future; what they used to call "Journeymen Directors".

Well that's already been happening. This is who Kennedy has hired since Trevorrow has fired

JJ Abrams (again)

Rian Johnson (again)

Benioff and Weiss 

Jon Faverau (tv show)

James Mangold (rumoured)

Stephen Daldry (rumoured) 

Not to mention the directors she brought in back for reshoots were Tony Gilroy and Ron Howard. Don't expect another "Lord and Miller" left field type pick for Star Wars in the near future which is a shame IMO.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

- Cancel all prequels.

B.

10 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Clarke would never be able to carry her own spinoff lol maybe if they had cast Tessa Thompson like originally rumored.

She's carried her own major storyline for seven years on the most popular show in the world, and she carried a low-budget movie to over $200 million. I don't want to criticize Tessa Thompson at all. I've enjoyed her acting in anything I've seen her in, but since her fans keep bashing Clarke, what has Tessa Thompson ever carried that was remotely as successful?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

- Cancel all prequels.

Maybe just wishful thinking but I'll say Kenobi still happens soon, just with a much smaller budget, and Fett doesn't happen at least until 2025, though he'll very likely show up as a supporting character before that. Doubt we'll ever see Qi'ra but Lando almost certainly, likely in his own spinoff, and I think it will happen before Fett.

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

We have seen nothing like almost all of a 90% completed film having to be reshot with a different director in a long,long, time. In fact, I think we have go back to the Liz Taylor Cleopatra for anything comparable. And Kennedy has to take the blame for that.

Pump the hate brakes Thanos. I'm sure Kennedy just got a little too busy reading Star Wars EU comics to watch the Solo dailies, you know with her being such a huge fan of Star Wars.

6 hours ago, arlo said:

Maybe just wishful thinking but I'll say Kenobi still happens soon, just with a much smaller budget, and Fett doesn't happen at least until 2025, though he'll very likely show up as a supporting character before that. Doubt we'll ever see Qi'ra but Lando almost certainly, likely in his own spinoff, and I think it will happen before Fett.

I actually think they'll go all in on Kenobi which before Solo I think they were a bit wary of doing.

I think they probably feel like they need something to really please their fans and this is the solution.

Edited by Arlborn

I don't think I saw anyone talk about this yet but am I the only one who thought that this movie was too dark ?

And I'm talking about the photography, not the mood.

I mean most scenes were a little greyish or muddy brown but they were fine. However those first scenes on Correllia and some of the space scenes were so dark I was squinting.

How the fuck did they mess that up ? I saw it in 2D so I don't know if the experience was different in 3D but that was weird. Also that blue light scene with the worm queen thing from Corellia was hard to see for me.

Edited by RascarCapat