Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

Entertaining movie but they ruined a lot of the character's charm by touching on too much of what was setup in the original trilogy. Maybe I was being naive but I thought they would try to be more tasteful about this, when they gave us the explanation for the "Han Solo" name I physically rolled my eyes. We also really didn't need to see Han explaining why he calls Chewbacca "Chewy."

I also thought that it was *extremely* weird that the Empire theme music was playing in the airport over an ad for people to join the Empire - did I see or hear that incorrectly?

- When Darth Mauls voice came on, I pretty much shit myself

- That diegetic use of the Imperial March

- Chewbacca's entrance

- Han being able to speak wookiee

- Coke-sium? People seem to really want that stuff.

- All the twists and stuff was cool

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 8:56 PM, Chewy said:

Darth Maul and Boba Fett and Coughing Robot Badguy Team Up: A Star Wars Story directed by Tim Miller

actually james mangold but close enough. lucasfilm wants these nerds back BAD.

• Haha 1

btw just wanted to throw out there that this is actually the most tightly scripted blockbuster in a while. there's really no fat on it at all everything is relevant for plot/theme/character like the classic kasdan blockbuster scripts are. (exceptthedarthmaulscene)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gamora said:

Why would someone go so late in the film? Might as well have held it at that point.

Must have really needed to go. There was a lull in action right before the Darth Maul scene and I said just go no. I had no idea Darth Maul was about to enter the fray! 

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, CoolioD1 said:

I don't even get it as sequel set up? you can't just have darth maul show up for one scene and not do anything with it so it obviously IS sequel setup. is the plan that Han Solo's gonna fight darth maul eventually? he doesn't even believe in the force and jedis and shit in the first star wars what the hell

Yes sequel set up but don't you think could also be a set up for the Obi-Wan film? I would guarantee Obi-Wan is gonna be fighting Maul in that film.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, CoolioD1 said:

darth maul getting out his double sided lightsaber for no reason other than to remind us all it's a thing that he has.

btw i hated enfys nest being some fucking teenage girl who was all "actually surprise! i'm just fucking with you to help the rebels (?!?!?)" didn't need some resistance character blah blah blahing about hope before that it was refreshing to have a star wars movie without that character. she was badass before any of that. i lowkey thought they were about to reveal that she was woody harrelson's daughter though so at least that bullet got dodged.

I'm glad I am not the only person who thought that... when Woody looks at her, I thought it was that he realises it's his daughter. Also agree it was a wasted opportunity, didn't need them to be setting up rebel stuff I'm perfectly happy to stay with there being marauder pirates etc

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Valonqar said:

Yeah, I'm not too sure they'll keep to cartoon canon considering movies still have far bigger reach and from GA POV Maul died in TPM

@CoolioD1 So how's Lando's much advertised pansexuality? 

what pansexuality lmao? I haven't heard about that. He chats up a woman in this movie and he may or may not   have a relationship with a droid. yeah, really. Kira asks the droid "how does that... work?" to which the droid replies - "It works." don't even want to think about it TBH

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Chewy said:

Is it Ray Park it's gotta be Ray Park

Credits say Ray Park but I think it was motion capture.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Mekanos said:

D... Darth Maul?

I'm having second thoughts about seeing this movie now.

If you can survive Marvel films teasing famous villains you can live with it in Star Wars.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Cmasterclay said:

deadass I thought for sure he would turn to chewy and say "I always shoot first" or something. Great!

it's not in your face at all, the scene felt very natural, was a good scene, and it didn't even occur to me that it was Han Shot First until my friend mentioned it afterwards.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Lucas said:

That Darth Maul cameo is the only real spoiler in the film and it's so bad. It means absolutely nothing unless you've seen The Phantom Menace, so - like a lot of the movie - it relies on other movies in order to get by while doing less than bare minimum on its own.

what you on about? What kind of person who watches a Star Wars film does not know who Darth Maul is? Like you know this entire film is based on an existing character RIGHT? Besides, theres a film that just came out that everyone is raving about where you have to watch the previous eighteen films to understand like anything at all, and you're whining about a brief fanservice cameo in this one?

Also, no one understood the Palpatine cameo in Empire Strikes Back unless they had watched the prequels.

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Was I  imagining things or was one of the rebel fighter random people at the end a hairless ewok?

At the end? Warwick Davies appeared pretty early on :) 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So is it just a coincidence that so far no one has had one interesting detail to share in here besides the Maulogram? Does anything actually happen in this or is it all just that F word? 

to be fair. There's not actually a whole lot to discuss about the film. I enjoyed it a lot but it didn't have me scratching my head or gasping in shock. Its just a good movie.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

what you on about? What kind of person who watches a Star Wars film does not know who Darth Maul is? Like you know this entire film is based on an existing character RIGHT? Besides, theres a film that just came out that everyone is raving about where you have to watch the previous eighteen films to understand like anything at all, and you're whining about a brief fanservice cameo in this one?

Also, no one understood the Palpatine cameo in Empire Strikes Back unless they had watched the prequels.

What I'm on about is my friend hasn't seen the Star Wars prequels because she's not interested in them. She's seen the rest and wanted to see this movie because she likes Han Solo and of course, it's a stand alone spin off movie. Meaning you shouldn't need any prior knowledge in order to get it. Once that Darth Maul scene came up though, she was really confused and had no idea what it meant or what it's about. The film was clearly playing it like you were supposed to know who that is, but this isn't a character who's been seen on the big screen since The Phantom Menace in 1999.

The problem with it is it serves absolutely no purpose to the movie itself and completely relies on the audience's knowledge of other films in order for it to mean anything.

And how does Infinity War fit into this? I haven't said if I liked that movie. I do however know plenty of people who hasn't seen all the MCU movies but still understood the movie because it treats these things well enough for it to stand on its own for the most part. For example you don't need to know who the Red Skull is because it doesn't matter to the movie, you won't react to it if you don't know who it is. With Darth Maul, the scene is about that reveal.

EDIT: Wait what? You do know the emperor was in the original cut of Empire as well right? The movie released 19 years before the first prequel even came out? You hear about the emperor multiple times in the original movie and in Empire leading up to that moment, you then finally see him in Return of the Jedi. You absolutely do not need to have seen movies that hadn't even come out by that point to get it.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ray Park is gonna up his autograph fees at Star Wars conventions.

Good for him.

I paid I think £50 getting Tommy Wiseau autograph and although it was worth it I feel slightly used.

Edited by Ranger Tree

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

So they have the Empire theme playing in universe in a recruiting ad for joining the Empire.

I was wondering this, is that actually what it was and was it actually diegetic?

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I was wondering this, is that actually what it was and was it actually diegetic?

yes it was to both your questions.

Edited by Ranger Tree

Saw it today. Some  thoughts, Some jokes in the beginning didn't land at all for me, references I didn't get maybe bigger SW fans would, also the Han & Chewie meeting was quick to say the least ,also some of the transitions of scenes and dialogue was clunky at times especially when it went from the end of kessel to the new planet

I liked Emilia Clarke she did decent (better then I expected) she and Alden had ok chemistry, enjoyed the new droid, really liked Woody Harrelson he has some great action moments and pulled them off
And what really surprised me is how much I enjoyed the Han ,Chewie and Lando moments I thought they had a great chemistry and bounced off each other well and the third act Alden impressed me it felt like he came into the character which i'm glad about he seemed to get a lot of stick before people saw him and predicted it would hurt his career I hope it does the opposite would like to see more of him he has a likeablity about him.

The third act actually made me a bit interested in a possible sequel but we'll see about that and how it performs. Overall I liked it, think some OTT star wars fans are being very harsh on it

Edited by Ryaner90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Darth Fucking Maul :hahaha:

Oh man I could feel the WTF WTF WTF from people in the theater who had no idea he survived in the Clone Wars and Rebels shows

BTW I liked it. B+.

Well, this movie doesn't explain how he survived, either (and it should)...and that's what audiences WTFs are about.