Solo  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Solo?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Alden Ehrenthing was actually really good and made it his own. And by the end I could definitely see him as a young Harrison Ford in certain ways. 

The whole "check your expectations at the door" is sort of true, but I left my expectations at the door after TFA came out. I think if youre like me and have accepted that these new films are not the old films, then there's a lot of fun to be had.

I liked the twists and there were some nice gestures. It's not clear that it's two films spliced together in ways that other films with "production issues" have resulted, which I guess is because of how much of the film was reshot. If anything, the stuff that I would guess has remained from Lord & Miller is the worst thing in the film. That character is just really poorly written and the humour is pretty crass, toilet jokes are not funny to begin with and feel completely out of place in Star Wars. If that's what the rest of the original film was like then I'm glad Ron Howard took over. He's done a good job.

Donald Glover does a good impersonation. 

Not much else to say other than that the film put a grin on my face pretty much from beginning to end. Think this is the best one of the new films so far.

• Like 1

i've posted a lot in the other threads but just a sum up

-it's well written, a tight script with almost no fat

-well acted, personally thought paul bettany best performance. Ehrenreich and harrelson were very good too

-kessel run and train sequence were both really cool.

-enfys nest was wasted potential to me didn't like her being a teenage resistance fighter

-good score

-ugly looking

-nice shirt lando

-fuuuuuun

• Like 3

Paul Bettany is really good at being creepy but he wasn't given much to do in the film.

Speaking of which, funny how the man who directed Paul Bettany as pretend Darth Maul in the da vinci code is the same man to bring him back to play servant to actual Darth Maul in Star Wars...

The Kessel Run actually had me on the edge of my seat for a bit, even though they were obviously gonna be fine.

Lots of heists and hijinks in this, which I am a big supporter of. Gimme more heists.

Fun!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The Kessel Run actually had me on the edge of my seat for a bit, even though they were obviously gonna be fine.

Lots of heists and hijinks in this, which I am a bug supporter of. Gimme more heists.

Fun!

I struggled to follow what was happening in the kessel run, why did Han want to be eaten by the creature?

Doesn’t deserve the floppage. Fun, well-made, exciting at times, pretty damn entertaining. I loved how, while it focused on characters we already know, it expanded the galaxy in a way we haven’t sern before in the movies by really exploring the criminal underworld, and how the empire fits in with regular people.

Would love for the Maul thing to be a hint at an Obi-Wan movie. Not sure if Disney is going to stick to Rebels canon though, cause I’d love Maul to have even just a minor, background presence in an Obi-Wan movie. 

Also thought Kira’s eventual betrayal, even though you could kinda see it coming, was heartbreaking. It worked for me, cause I always find it sad when someone a character loves, and someone that loves them back, has to betray them for whatever reason. That angle of the movie really worked for me.

• Like 5

Walked out of this really happy. It pretty much plays out like an old novel about the smugglers in Star Wars brought to the big screen. Alden really surprised me with his portrayal of Han and I was never taken out of the film by his performance. He did far better than I was expecting but the marketing released closer to the release made me more comfortable that the property was in good hands. Thought he had great chemistry with Chewie, Lando, Quira and Tobias.

It's written well but I guess people expected this epic adventure when this was never aiming to be that. I just wanted them to do right by the character and deliver a memorable ride and in my opinion, they definitely did. This is the most Star Wars has looked and felt like the OT since it. It's a dark grungy looking film but nearly every set is real and full of prosthetic creatures that make the world feel right and look alive. The main score is also here during pivotal moments unlike Rogue One. Unlike Jeremy Jahns, I did not think this film needed some big bad because that was never this type of story's goal. Like Jabba The Hut, these types of shady criminal overlords and bounty hunters were just there.

I really enjoyed it outside of a few annoyances like how Han got his last name and his reaction after Quira flew away at the end. I hope people can avoid all the toxicity currently surrounding Star Wars and just view Solo for what it is. I get the hate towards TLJ but this isn't the film that deserves to be boycotted or bashed over it.

But in the end, did this story need to be told? No. But since it was, this was mostly as good as it could have been and I loved spending time with those characters again in a galaxy far far away. - A-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 9:54 PM, Ranger Tree said:

I struggled to follow what was happening in the kessel run, why did Han want to be eaten by the creature?

He didn't want to be eaten, he wanted the creature to get distracted by the escape pod so it would unknowlingly pull itself closer to that hole and get stuck so they could boost out.

Edited by somebody85

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it was a fun time and I enjoyed some of the universe expansion that was done with the Crimson Dawn, droid revolutionaries, and such.

Darth Maul was a neat hook, but it didn’t really elevate the movie any at the end.

The entire thing was pretty much a traditional blockbuster.  It was fun escapism, I don’t think it did for Han what RO did for a New Hope though (in that it ended up being a good companion piece that made the original a better movie) in that I’m not going to watch Han Solo and get any new insight in the character.  That being said it’s entertaining, and I may end up figuring out a spot to squeeze it in whenever I do my Star Wars marathons.

I don’t really have major complaints about it other than it’s not too exciteable because the nature of a prequel is creating stakes is much harder when you know Qi’ra is not a keeper, that he gets the Falcon, and that Han and Chewie are going to pull the whole thing off.  

Anyways, it’s a fun movie, it’s not the phenomenal films that TLJ or TFA were but few movies are.  I’d say it’s much better than all of the bad Star Wars films (TPM and AOTC), not quite as good as the two really good ones (ROTS and RO), and definitely not on the top-tier Star Wars level (the rest of them). B/B+

• Like 1

I think if you are one of those people who didn’t like TLJ (or TFA) and RO was your favorite of the new ones, then you’ll probably like this movie the best of he Disney films.

If you are big on TLJ like me, you’ll probably be in the “decent to meh” camp.

49 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I think if you are one of those people who didn’t like TLJ (or TFA) and RO was your favorite of the new ones, then you’ll probably like this movie the best of he Disney films.

If you are big on TLJ like me, you’ll probably be in the “decent to meh” camp.

R1 is my fav of the new Disney flicks, and I love (the vast majority of) TLJ.  So what am I supposed to think of this film? :lol:

====

I don't want to say it was "serviceable" or "pedestrian" because that's really not accurate.  Or fair for that matter.  Maybe a sustained pitch of above average all the way through?  No real dips for me but not very many thunderous highs, either.  Sort of a sustained pitch of quality, if you will.

Hard to describe my feelings here without pulling a @CoolioD1 and making it look like I am trying to drive people away (Hire me CoolioD1! Once you get that marketing job with Disney, I can be your partner in crime :lol:).  Might feel differently after another watch though.

Really is the definition of a popcorn film where one has an enjoyable time for a few hours.  Glad it was told and I hope it develops an audience in the coming weeks.  

I gave the rest of my thoughts elsewhere and maybe I'll copy them over here later.  But as I think about it my initial grade of 8.5/10 still sounds right.  If one wants an enjoyable time about a well told story and a good cast, this is your film. And while it has plenty of action, in some ways it's more of a character piece than an epic.  So just keep that in mind.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Darth Maul

Worst thing in the movie. Its not filmmaking, its twitter/fan baiting. 

HE DIED in the movies (Ive seen the cartoons and read the comic I know he is alive). BUT 96% of audiences dont know or care he's alive.  AND NEVER WILL, when I show My kids and then  MY grandkids they are gonna be clueless as fuckkkk.  

My parent who wanna go see it dont know he's alive. A normal movie goer ACROSS The WORLD doesn’t know that.

Anytime you let 4% of people dictate your  decision, and you make choices for them and not the 96% of people and HUNDREDS of millions of normal movie goers, you messed up. Its beyond stupid. 

Its also poor storytelling and under minds episode 1, Obi Wan becoming  a Jedi and Qu Gons death are 5x more meaningless now. 

You wanna keep him alive in the comics and shows to sell toys and keep the nerds happy (I have a Star Wars bed spread) fine, but this is flat out a terrible choice to bring him back into the main line story (films). 

Cant believe "professionals” think this is a good idea. Star Wars is dead to me right now haha they are beating dead horse. This isn't filmmaking, this is bullshit fan service. 

This movie is supposed to play to movie goers for the next 80 years. All yet all the people at Lucas film were thinking about was the 7pm Thursday night crowd. Shame on them. Awful. 

With that said hahaha the movie is fine, actually lots of fun, I had good time! the cast is really good, ALDEN was GREAT! Kessel run while I didn't t need to see it, it had me smiling. 3rd act is anti climatic tho.  Lots of things to say, I could write a book but ill save you. 

Oh the worst part about the film was Bradford Young, the lighting was bad. So muggy, so dark, so colorless , so flat compared to every other star wars movies yet this was marketed as FUN and colorful. While technically its "good" cinematography, He was no doubt the wrong choice for this movie and tonally it clashes sooooooooo hard. 

B-  (82)

Side note - Topher Grace was 2 people behind me in line for the 7pm showing and Ray Park was also there. 

Why was he CGI? lazy too, just do the fucking makeup again UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH modern movies suck. 

He wasn't CGI it was Ray Park in make up.

16 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Good to know, I wanted to wait until round two to make sure of the point because it was so quick, but  the two people I saw it with also thought it was CGI so yeah.

The hologram maybe fucked it up, has facial features felt like they had too much movement. Maybe they aged him or its just his age?  Yoda looked weird at first too in TLJ but after you get past the "blue" effect you could tell it was a puppet.

I feel like they do CGI touch ups over things though know, they did on Yoda's mouth and eyes in TLJ. And Jurassic World 2 "had" animatoics but then they replaced them with CGI after. Im def gonna get the blu ray and break it down but I wouldn't be surprised if they touched it up in CG after the fact.  I hope you're right and next I see it I go, oh thats real. 

I think it's a mix of the hologram stuff and how much older Ray Park is that gives a bit of uncanny valley.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

HE DIED in the movies (Ive seen the cartoons and read the comic I know he is alive). BUT 96% of audiences dont know or care he's alive.  AND NEVER WILL, when I show My kids and then  MY grandkids they are gonna be clueless as fuckkkk.  

That did mixed me up quite a bit, a thought for a second the story was before Phantom Menace, didn't made sense so I thought this is a different sith or what not of the same family.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Some quick thought, obviously with so much rework it did not showed too much it was reworked, but there was still very weird moment that I must assume were due to the reshoot here.

Biggest one was Woody Harrelson love dying in the train set piece, seem like it would be a big deal, scream about it, does not give value to is life the moment right after, etc... Than the very next moment he is smiling and not referring to it at all ? That was extremely strange. 

- All the heist part were a bit too complex for me too get (and lacked the usual montage a la Ocean 11), I was not able to follow much, why blow the train part to the cost of your life for example if you are to fly with the wagon off the track anyway, etc...

- Photography was impressive in general I did found, really cinematic, Young delivered something again, when they enter the Falcon with the space in background for example, not sure about the night scene in the beginning too, find it hard to see and not taken advantage of contrast and overall not sure it match summer event movie really well.

- Found it really slow to get started, but once they faced the empire ship in the cloud tunnel, that sequence to almost the end was quite something, smile on my face for all that run, easily the best part, put the first half of Awaken, second half of this together.... one good star wars movie from those 4 for me.

- the very ending, I didn't understood anything that was going on why does Clark insist to kill the guy herself instead of let Solo shoot, seem like a useless twist.

- Except for the kessel run, many of the actions scene made no sense, I get it is a trope that the bad guy does not know how to shoot in Star Wars but they really pushed it to a ridicule, and the angle/time/stake didn't work for me most of the time, edit were fast.

- money ! So much money, they didn't reused much setup here, table card, couple of Falcon moment in the same place but otherwise lot of costly locations.

Kind of still work and very watchable overall, 7/10

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1