cookie

The Cookie Pictures Power Expo - Day 2: Dem dinos

So Sebastian Peters walks out and asks the audience if they wish for him to explain what the hell they just witnessed.

Peters tells the audience that a major theme in the film is going to be hubris, and a very certain scene in the trailer plays a big part in that.

The story as is is that having grown into her role as queen, Tamara faces a turmoil between warring tribes on Khouga that soon lead to civil war. As she attempts to stop it with the aid of her human allies (chief among them being Captain Lucina and Admiral Helms), two warring empires (and in particular, two very petty emperors) from across the galaxy seize on the opportunity to influence the outcome to their own benefit.

Peters also confirmed that Joel, Kira, Rez and the robots will not appear in the film, for they will have their own story in part three.

He promises to share more information tomorrow but to close out for the night Cookie Pictures drops the cast list:

Spoiler

The Queen

Letitia_Wright_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

The Admiral

Laurence-Fishburne-in-January-2016.jpg

The Five Captains

bd_cast_mary-elizabeth-winstead.jpgMV5BMTg0NTI0NDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYwCliff_Curtis_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg1200px-Holly_Hunter_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg159674-004-85AAC95B.jpg

The Four Tribal Chiefs (all performance capture)

473863856.jpglatest?cb=20140710184647beauty-trends-blogs-daily-beauty-reporte1200px-Toby_Kebbell_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

The Inventors (Stenberg performance capture)

1200px-David_Mazouz_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpglatest?cb=20170125204043

The Emperors (both performance capture)

1200px-Elizabeth_Debicki_by_Gage_SkidmorMV5BYTgwYmM0ZjgtMWRmZC00YTc1LWIwYWEtYTFj

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Peters also confirmed that Joel, Kira, Rez and the robots will not appear in the film, for they will have their own story in part three.

Will part 3 be rated R?

7 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Will part 3 be rated R?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

giphy.gif&key=fe3716259e977dbd824ae339dd

Spoiler

I mean after what I'm planning to do for part 2 pulling back in part 3 would be a bit weird.

Edited by cookie

Day 1 recap:

- Cookie Pictures announces Project Sun God, a Donald Duck-centered spinoff to The Number One Dime releasing in late Y5. Tony Anselmo, Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz and Bobby Moynihan are set to reprise their roles plus featuring the return of Benicio Del Toro as El Capitan and Benedict Cumberbatch as a yet unnamed antagonist.

- A sequel to Y3's Ripper is in the works, hinting at a Guy Fawkes-based storyline and confirming the reprisal of Tom Hardy as Detective Simon Barnes. No release date or details were confirmed.

The Road to Shangri-La has been pushed back to Y5 in favor of an unannounced title releasing in Thanksgiving Y4.

- Cookie Pictures drops the debut teaser for the second part in the Scavenger Wars saga, so far codenamed TSW2. Directing duo Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are set to helm the film and will focus on a Khouga-set storyline with Letitia Wright and Mary Elizabeth Winstead co-starrring as the leads. It will also feature an R-rating.

- During the same presentation, President and CEO Sebastian Peters confirmed a third film was in development and will see the return of Daniel Henney, Naomi Scott and others who will be absent in the second part.

Edited by cookie

Coming tonight (at unspecified times):

Spoiler

u8Q0MEa.gif

Spoiler

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18646-1382278592-23

Spoiler

(Metroid needed more time so I give you Baloo and co instead)

And whatever else I feel like dropping.

25 minutes ago, cookie said:

Coming tonight (at unspecified times):

Hide contents

(Metroid needed more time so I give you Baloo and co instead)

And whatever else I feel like dropping.

tenor.gif?itemid=7239421

BREAKING: In a pre-show interview, the writers of Countdown to Extinction confirmed that the dinosaurs will not have speaking roles, citing it being "too confusing when you have human characters speaking at the same time".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

BREAKING: In a pre-show interview, the writers of Countdown to Extinction confirmed that the dinosaurs will not have speaking roles, citing it being "too confusing when you have human characters speaking at the same time".

OrnateHonorableCrocodileskink-size_restr

Spoiler

Jk that's probably for the best

• Like 1

BREAKING: A third Mirror's Edge film is in active development following the box office success of Catalyst last year. No release date or plot details are available other than the press release describing it as "the conclusive chapter" and announcing the return of Scarlett Johansson and Emily Blunt in their respective roles.

3 hours ago, cookie said:

But will the raptors ride motorcycles?

"Please welcome to the stage, the director and the main cast of Countdown to Extinction, Joe Cornish, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Charlie Day and Rosa Salazar!"

After a rapturous applause from the audience, Joe is handed the mic and begins introducing the expo attendees to Countdown, a successor in many regards to the 2000 Disney animated film Dinosaur. He begins by pointing out that live-action remakes of animated features have become a dime a dozen in CAYOM, so what would make something like Countdown stand out? Cornish mentions three things:

1. It is a sequel of sorts as previously mentioned, not a remake.

2. The focus is shifted to a new set of human characters traveling back in time while the original set of characters appear in supporting roles.

3. It is very much a story about those new human characters and their quest to get back home rather than simply retreading the greatest hits of the original film.

Joe goes on to explain the basic story: Three people, paleontologist Aaron Derry (Ejiofor), boiler room mechanic Chester Bradley (Day) and museum intern Sue Garcia (Salazar) travel back to the cretaceous period in pursuit of retrieving a dinosaur specimen they can exhibit as a means of saving their museum from bankruptcy. As they emerge in the cretaceous period however, something goes disastrously wrong with their time rover and they are trapped in the past and now have to find a way to return the rover back in operation and escape the past before an extinction-level event takes them with it. On the way, they meet the cast of Dinosaur and discover hidden truths not just of the world around them but of each other.

Joe goes on to introduce the main cast which appear on screen:

Spoiler

MV5BNzA5MDEyMTY3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ0

Aaron Derry (Chiwetel Ejiofor)

Having had a passion for paleontology his entire life, Derry helps run the museum in Buenos Aires with his boss Gustavo Scalia. Chiwetel describes his character as "kind-hearted, if a bit sensitive" and definitely not the typical action movie protagonist, emphasizing that he's less of a fighter but will have to put his physical and emotional abilities to the ultimate test during his character journey, one of "accepting the past and the inevitability of the future", hinting at a major story element regarding his character. "His drive, passion and care for all living things are his greatest strengths but also his greatest weaknessess" as Ejiofor puts it.

latest?cb=20110822042110

Chester Bradley (Charlie Day)

Chester is a long-time attendant at the boiler room under the museum and Aaron's closest friend, Chester even looking up to Aaron as a sort of mentor or parental figure. Chester is tasked with operating the time rover based on his experiences operating a tacky carnival with his father Hester - dubbed "Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama" - before it went under many years prior (Chester describes working on the time rover as being very similar to working on a rollercoaster). Having been sheltered for much of his life, Chester sees the world around him from a more juvenile perspective than many others despite displaying a great deal of intelligence. His passion for dinosaurs in a very childish way comes through loud and clear.

Rosa+Salazar+2018+Sundance+Film+Festival

Sue Garcia (Rosa Salazar)

A history sophomore native to Buenos Aires, Sue happens to be at the museum by the time the story begins almost by accident, having had received an unpaid internship at the museum as part of her education plan. Rosa jokingly describes her character as "an audience vessel for everyone else to dump their exposition on" but one that's also wide-eyed, determined and persistent almost to a fault, willing to call things out as she sees them. Sue gets out of many dangerous situations using her wit and gymnastic skills, and soon grows a close friendship with her companions.

lP8i2Ldp_400x400.jpg

Mrs. Vargas (Shohreh Aghdasloo)

The director of TISCA (the Time Institute of South and Central America) who lends the museum the time rover for their mission. Joe describes Vargas as a "cold and extremely authoritarian bureaucrat", taking her position very seriously and not taking no for an answer. "In the future, time traveling is subject to heavy government regulation worldwide" Joe explains, "and she has the final word on everything. No pleas or buts will change her mind."

latest?cb=20170116133722

Mr. Darryl (Toby Leonard Moore)

TISCA assistant director and Vargas' personal lap dog, Darryl has a hand in planning and carrying out authorized use of the time rover, but will never go against the wishes of his boss even if he disagrees with her. Darryl adapts the same cold and calculated demeanor as his boss in the hopes of one day being her successor, even as his more human side slips out every now and then.

latest?cb=20161112110303

Gustavo Scalia (Alfred Molina)

The managing director of the Buenos Aires Museum of Natural History and technically Aaron's boss, Scalia had spent the past few years doing everything in his power to save the museum through budget cuts to staff layoffs even as it had pained him to do so, only accepting Sue's internship due to it being unpaid. He values Aaron and Chester's contributions to the museum dearly, but with time and finances running out the TISCA operation is his last hope in being able to save the museum from shutting down.

naomie-harris-3-vogue-24feb17-rex.jpg

Anastasia "Ana" Derry (Naomie Harris)

Aaron's wife and fellow paleontologist, Ana displays great optimism but also great concern for her husband's endeavors. While attempting to hold up a loving marriage with Aaron as much as possible, Joe makes it clear that an event in the recent past has caused a small but inescapable fracture between them that keeps the two at arm's length from one another despite their attempts to commit.

Joe mentions that if the audience has seen the previously announced cast list, they are unaware that one name is missing from the currently revealed line-up. He gives both the audience and those watching at home a major spoiler warning before continuing.

"No, seriously" he says. "Turn back now if you don't want to hear a major reveal."

Spoiler

Shea+Whigham+HBO+Boardwalk+Empire+Season

Jack McConnell  (Sheah Whigham)

An extremely resourceful ex-mercenary who got stranded in the past during a previous TISCA mission, Jack comes across Aaron, Chester and Sue after their expedition goes horribly wrong. He had been surviving in the past for close to a year (he's lived in the Central American jungle for some time prior and sees the dinosaurs as just another bunch of predatory animals he has to overcome) but finds out through the trio's arrival that TISCA had covered his disappearance up and never came back for him. Armed and dangerous, he agrees to help the others out in getting all of four of them back to the present in return that they help him settle a score with a trio of murderous carnotauruses that caused his stranding in the first place.

Joe describes the film as a "survival tale where danger lurks around every corner" and a "rollercoaster ride of emotions" that will have audiences at the edge of their seats. He also reconfirmed that while the main cast of Dinosaur will make an appearance and provide support for the human characters, they will not retain their speaking roles.

Joe closes the showing by presenting two clips from the film and promises that a trailer will be with everyone shortly.

Clip 1

Spoiler

Gus leads Vargas and Darryl into the museum with Aaron trailing them. Gus begins spouting off about how great his museum is, how it’s the pride of Buenos Aires (well, with the exception of… pretty much everything in Buenos Aires), how if it weren’t for Chicago they’d have the greatest collection of dinosaur bones in the world, how the walls are lined from top to bottom with-

Vargas: I am here to supervise your use of the time rover. I’m not a tourist.
Gus: Oh, um… I’ll be frank, this museum has… seen better days.
Vargas: Given how you’ve spent the last four years making hundreds of calls begging me to authorize use of the rover for you, I can tell. Still… I guess it would be a shame if the museum had to go under. Kids are uneducated about history as is.
Aaron: I just want to say we are incredibly grateful that you’re giving us this opportunity. Bringing home a live dinosaur specimen would be… something.
Darryl: We hope you don’t have aspirations of bringing home a T-rex or a Sauropod. Mrs. Vargas specifically asked for one small specimen only.
Gus: ...Just one? It’d probably draw bigger crowds if it were the whole family.
Vargas: You have been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity, Mr. Scola. Don’t try pushing it.
 ???: ...Hello? Hellooo? Anyone here?

The group turn to see a college-age girl emerging from behind a pillar, looking a bit lost before she sees them.

Vargas: ...Who is this?
Gus: Crap, I forgot… [ facepalms ]
Vargas: Who are you and what is your name, girl?
Sue: My… my name is Susan Garcia. I, uh… I’m here for the internship…
Gus: Susan here was supposed to begin today. I got so caught up preparing I forgot to tell her to come tomorrow instead.
Aaron: Wait, how’d you get past the barricades if Gus didn’t let you in?
Sue: ...Sorry about your back window.
Darryl: Should I order for her arrest, Mrs. Vargas?
Sue: ...Arrest? W-what’s going on?!
Vargas: Let her be for now. Make sure she signs a non-disclosure form before she evens as much as breathes near the rover.

Gus tells Aaron to keep a watch on Sue while he, Vargas and Darryl head to his office so he can sign more papers (he audibly complains that these forms never seem to end). Aaron formally introduces himself to Sue and Sue introduces herself to him, saying she’s a sophomore history student at the Universidad de Buenos Aires and this internship is part of her education plan.

Aaron: Your name’s Susan, huh?
Sue: Yeah, well, she named me after this woman named Sue Hendrickson...
Aaron: Sue Hendrickson? As in “the woman who discovered the best preserved T-rex skeleton ever known to exist” Sue Hendrickson?!
Sue: Yeah… mom used to looooove dinosaurs. ...She used to take me to this place all the time, in fact. To be honest, coming back here is a bit bittersweet… in more than one way.
Aaron: Yeah… you’ve probably heard we’re not exactly on top financially. All these guys you see walking around here? [ points to the guards bringing large, cloaked items past them ] Beats our peak attendance.
Sue: I was honestly kind of surprised director Scola even accepted my application for an internship. I guess it’s because I don’t get paid...
Aaron: Scola’s been cutting a lot of corners, but I know he cares for this museum as much as I do. Today is going to change all that, though.
Sue: W-what do you mean?
Aaron: Until you sign those papers, I’m contractually obligated not to tell you.

Gus re-appears and asks Aaron where a guy named Chester is, since Mrs. Vargas had chosen him specifically to operate the rover. Aaron tells him Chester’s where he usually is, and Gus tells him back to go get him because Vargas’ patience is hanging by a thread. 

Clip #2 (spoiler warning)

Spoiler

(The following clip has been edited for promotional purposes)

Jack and Aaron are seen traversing the jungle, Aaron bruised and bloodied and having his left arm wrapped around a piece of cloth as a makeshift sling. Jack carries a rifle and leads Aaron across the treacherous territory.

A rather large dragonfly flies into the camera's view and lands on a tree branch. In a snap, Jack snatches the dragonfly, crushes it in his hand and begins devouring it in front of a startled Aaron.

Jack: [ chomps on dragonfly meat ] ...What?

Aaron: That... can't be healthy.

Jack: I lived on canned beans for a long time before it ran out, Mr. Derry. Half the berries around here are poisonous to the point you'll be bedside for days, you have to take what you can get.

They continue walking as Jack keeps chomping down on the dragonfly and Aaron tries not to cringe.

Jack: [ swallows ] I take it the ice queen didn't you tell you everything, did she?

Aaron: She claimed TISCA had a spotless track record...

Jack: She tells that to everyone. I used to believe it until you showed up.

Aaron stops in his tracks, looking at Jack.

Aaron: ...If we get back home, what do you intend to do?

Jack: Just my presence will be enough to sink that [ expletive bleeped ]'s career. I'll bask in her downfall for as long as I can.

Aaron: Have you never considered that maybe they actually tried to go back for you?

The two stop when they hear what sounds like a loud, bellowing roar in the distance. Aaron recognizes it and he freezes up. Jack signals Aaron to follow him and not make a sound.

They come across a small pond where everything appears calm and quiet at first. Jack signals to Aaron to lay down behind the bushes.

Aaron: Why the hell are we stopping?!

Jack: Wait for it...

From behind a rock not one, not two, but three carnotaurs emerge in unison, the leader of the three showcasing a scar on its face blinding its left eye. Aaron tries to run but Jack pulls him down and tells him to stay put.

The lead carnotaur is the first to walk up to the pond and take a sip from the water, signaling to its slightly smaller brethren to stay put until it's finished.

Jack: They're basically the kings and queens of this jungle. If anyone decides around here who lives or who dies, it's them.

Aaron: My god...

The lead carnotaur lifts his head and makes direct eye contact with Aaron. Aaron tries to bolt again but Jack only pulls him closer to himself.

Jack: You're not even worth the effort to them! Stay low... and try not to provoke.

The carnotaurs hear some kind of moaning in the distance. The leader orders the two others to go and check it out and Jack and Aaron follow them while the leader continues to drink from the pond.

They soon find a triceratops, lying on the ground having sustained serious injury and moaning for his herd not yet aware that they're not coming back for him. Aaron and Jack watch as one of the carnotaurs approach the crying triceratops and, to Aaron's horror, places its jaws around the triceratops neck and snaps it, killing it instantly. The now dead triceratops drops to the ground again and the carnotaurs begin to feast before the leader shows up and pushes the two aside so it can feast for itself. Jack turns to Aaron.

Jack: You understand now? I don't have the bullets to kill them here, but I have a plan. And I'm gonna need your help.

Aaron: ...I'm not doing anything before I know if Chester and Sue are safe.

Jack: ...Fine. We'll find your friends. Don't raise your hopes too much, though.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hunt for the Wilderpasta said:

This actually looks really awesome.

It's basically an experiment in taking everything that works in a movie (the score, the realistic-looking dinos, the visuals) and stripping away everything that doesn't (the story, the dialogue, pretty much everything else) and replace it with your own ideas.

• Like 1