WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

Assuming 5.2M, Solo will be at 120M after Thursday. Weekend is looking like 32M (-62%).

Multiplier from 2nd weekend of past Memorial Day openers:

POTC4: 3.6x

XM:Apoc: 2.7x

Tomorrowland: 3.1x

FF6: 2.9x

MIB3: 3.40x

Solo *should* stabilize now and show perform closer to POTC4 and MIB3 rather than other comps. So assuming a 3.5x multiplier off 32M weekend, Solo is looking to finish with 230-235M. However, if the weekend drop is higher and/or it isn't able to hold that well afterwards, it may miss 225M mark.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmao, completely forgot that was first week of June. Still a rarity to release anything notable that weekend though. 

It’s usually pretty mild compared to other summer weekends but I wouldn’t say dead

2017 Wonder Woman, 130m new openers

2016, TMNT2 that one just ended up disappointing, 57m in new openers

2015: Spy and Insidious 3, 60m In new openers

2014: Maleficient 85m in new openers

2013: Now You See Me and After Earth (yeah leggy hit and a bomb) 55m in new openers

2012: Snow White, 56m in new openers

2011: X-Men: First Class 55m in new openers

This will be the worst first weekend of June since at least 2010 though for new openers, as that ones top opener was Get Him to the Greek

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Guys,I really hate to be a stick in the mud, but Empire's guesses aren't really enough to open a Wednesday thread.  There's got to be something more to it than just a guess.  I know he has access to numbers but he didn't say that he looked anything over and then made a stab at it, he just said he guesses.

Let's try to have a little more to go on before we open a numbers thread next time.  

Yea. There’s really just so much activity happening on a Box Office forum on a Wednesday night. We need a bottleneck on posting before it gets to wild here. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This weekend with projections. Could be the least attended start to June since June 2-4 2000. 

If incredibles 2 doesnt really really overperform i think we might have ourselves the first july since 2014 with less than $1B in total grosses. 

57 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

If incredibles 2 doesnt really really overperform i think we might have ourselves the first july since 2014 with less than $1B in total grosses. 

Which would be absolutely crazy considering the fact, this year had the first February, the first April over $1B, May was over $1B too (not the case in 2016 and 2017), June most likely will be too.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

First of all, imo, it's a great movie.

Second, I love the cast.

Third, I have a huge crush on Steenbergen.

Fourth, it's a film that touches on adult issues and I appreciate a film like that.  Summer is filled with blockbusters and tentpoles and superheroes and explosions and those are fun but it's also good to see a movie that touches on adult issues, real ones. The movie isn't really about the 50 Shades stuff, it's about what happens to your soul when you get older and like Ally Sheedy says in Breakfast Club, when you grow up your heart dies.  But in this film, it gets resurrected and I enjoyed it for that.  

Fifth, I love it when a film that isn't aimed at the populace here actually does well....especially when all the young-ins here said it would fail miserably.

It comes out tomorrow here in the U.K., the weather is way too nice for the cinema but as soon as the sun goes away we’ll be going to see it. Love the cast too, glad it’s doing so well. 

• Like 2

SOO... about that Shade Colin Trevorrow is throwing around right about now on twitter... https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow

Interesting time for Mr Trevorrow to come out and tell us this anecdote about his son, while Solo crashes and burns (reigniting the debate that TLJ compromised the core tenets of a beloved franchise. Oh wait....)

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

43 minutes ago, Tyrian said:

SOO... about that Shade Colin Trevorrow is throwing around right about now on twitter... https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow

Interesting time for Mr Trevorrow to come out and tell us this anecdote about his son, while Solo crashes and burns (reigniting the debate that TLJ compromised the core tenets of a beloved franchise. Oh wait....)

Can we not turn every thread into this trash?  At bare minimum somebody tries to bring this debate back every, single thread.  People are reading what they want to into those tweets.

Enough.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pandamia! said:

Can we not turn every thread into this trash?  At bare minimum somebody tries to bring this debate back every, single thread.  People are reading what they want to into those tweets.

Enough.

TLJ fans may not like

it when something negative is said about that movie, but this isn’t a LJ fansite 

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

TLJ fans may not like

it when something negative is said about that movie, but this isn’t a LJ fansite 

This is also not an anti-LJ sentiment site, and it feels like TLJ's flaws are brought up more often than IronJimbo brings up the A-word. Sure, a Star Wars movie is going on right now (and flopping), but let's not go down the route of debating the same thing we've endlessly been talking about since December again, please.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, ddddeeee said:

Imagine gaining such an ego from directing Jurassic World of all movies.

Deserved. Jurassic World is the greatest movie of all time.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Deserved. Jurassic World is the greatest movie of all time.

That Bryce Dallas Howard outrunning a T-rex in heels sequence makes the Battle of Atlanta long shot from Gone With The Wind look like a shitty 0.37 second cut of Liam Neeson jumping over a fence in Taken 2/3/whatever. :qotd:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

These guys are all so full of themselves though. Gunn, Derrickson (lol), Reeves, Trevorrow (lmao)... Retweeting any slight bit of praise, bickering with even the slightest complaint about their movie...

Bring back the days of John Carpenter sincerely telling an audience member who praised The Thing for five minutes to 'remove [your] head from my ass'.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Why would the performance of a single animated film opening in mid June be that important for July's chances of reaching 1B?

In fact I am expecting strong grosses in July for Ant Man (over 200M+), Skyscrapper (over 100M), Hotel Transilvania (around 100M), notable legs for JW2 (100M+), and some mid hits like Purge, Mamma Mia and Equalizer (all three with granted 50M+ each through the month). And a sure to be huge opening for MI6. 2014 was just dreadful, with only two movies grossing more than 100M and without any single 200M grosser. Even 2017, with disappointing openings for many movies, managed to reach 1.2B

• Like 1