WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

Forbes say 6M, don't know if it's a guess or official.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/31/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office-when-200m-in-a-week-isnt-enough/#38ee38534b02

116M DOM, ~86M OS as per the article.

Edit :- He updated WED no. to 4.8M and DOM total to 115M

35% drop from Tuesday

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

How can anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the box office say that Solo is going to drop something like 30% this weekend?

People who are getting paid by Disney to spin articles. But this is great. Let them set up high expectations for the film again and when the movie only makes $30M, it'll be seen as a bomb of a second weekend 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pepsa said:

Well the last number Empire give us was 4.9m - 5m, not a guess and it was farely late. Prety sure this is bs.

I doubt it's BS.  BS means its on purpose.  He could either be mistaken or it is a misprint.  He's done that before.

3 hours ago, sfran43 said:

A 15% drop for BC.  Excellent!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

People who are getting paid by Disney to spin articles. But this is great. Let them set up high expectations for the film again and when the movie only makes $30M, it'll be seen as a bomb of a second weekend 

But the Hollywood Reporter is in Disney's back pocket?

7 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Well the last number Empire give us was 4.9m - 5m, not a guess and it was farely late. Prety sure this is bs.

A 32% drop on Wednesday is also more standard than an 18% drop which is what Scott has it at. 

EC can be off when he guesses (hence why it's a guess) but he's rarely ever off when he gives actual numbers. Especially off like that. I don't know I'll wait and see though 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Lol, Haha

This movie has been online since the 23rd. Is it on VOD in America as well as theatrical, or is it on VOD internationally?

Edited by AJG

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I doubt it's BS.  BS means its on purpose.  He could either be mistaken or it is a misprint.  He's done that before.

A 15% drop for BC.  Excellent!

I didn't mean to implie that he was doing it on purpose. I was implieing that the number it self was BS, I mean he would have no reason to lie, he doesn't gain anything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Well more bad box office reports wouldn't help the movie. I have even heard "Solo is bombing" mentioned on late night shows.

Maybe Disney is saving those checks for Ant-Man 2 reviews. :Venom:

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This PR spin for Lucasfilm

is honestly getting sad 

RIP SW when this sad shit is used to justify a flop. Man up, Lucasfilm, admit you bombed and move on, learn some lessons, no shame in that. But there's a shame in shitty spins. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

But the Hollywood Reporter is in Disney's back pocket?

I don't know. Yes? No? It just makes ZERO sense to me why a trade would predict a drop for a movie that is so unrealistic/downright impossible without some PR involved in it. Like Solo is coming off of a holiday opening weekend. I don't know much about box office but I do know holidays inflate weekends which means the next weekends will be seeing big drops. Black Panther which had fantastic WOM dropped 44% its second weekend after a holiday weekend. Deadpool dropped 56% its second weekend after a heavily inflated OW. I know these aren't MDW openers but my point is that even the most optimistic of predictions wouldn't predict a 30% drop so yes either THR is being paid by Disney or they legitimately need to remove the person controlling their box office preview articles because that Solo prediction is nonsense 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Hmmm....also a 14% drop for AQP.  Wednesday drops seem to be softer than usual.  Maybe Tuesday wasn't as busy as usual because Monday was a holiday in the US.  

• Thanks 1