WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

These drops have been pretty horrendous for Solo so far this week. Not even DOFP, Apocalypse, or Fast 6 held this bad among the most frontloaded MD openers. It needs strong Fri/Sat bumps this week or missing 200 is a very real possibility. 

I have nothing against the cast and crew but I would laugh if that happened.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

400M or less and this movie will bleed for a long time, years to come. Cue lots of TV airings until it makes its money back, if ever.

400 or less and the entire franchise is compromised unless episode 9 matches the force awakens. Not because  nobody will want to see any other star wars movies, but because they are proving to other studios that they are not bulletproof. 400 million sends a massive message to their competitors, regardless of how the movie is received critically. The message is: we're not untouchable. Go ahead and put your movies up against ours, it's not guaranteed we'll win.

Edited by Bobbybuilderton
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

400 or less and the entire franchise is compromised unless episode 9 matches the force awakens. Not because  nobody will want to see any other star wars movies, but because they are proving to other studios that they are not bulletproof. 400 million sends a massive message to their competitors, regardless of how the movie is received critically. The message is: we're not untouchable. Go ahead and put your movies up against ours, it's not guaranteed we'll win.

Bingo. Star Wars has proven that it isn't this untouchable juggernaut with this Solo performance. The next Star Wars story movie will not be having three weekends to itself. 

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Bingo. Star Wars has proven that it isn't this untouchable juggernaut with this Solo performance. The next Star Wars story movie will not be having three weekends to itself. 

I dont think that's really a big deal as far as the spin-offs go. I mean, studios don't mind putting some of their movies up against solo Marvel movies.

It's a pretty good bet that ROGUE ONE will end up being the extreme high water mark for the "Star Wars Story" films, given it was coming fresh off TFA and it received the coveted mid-December release date. I would think that Lucasfilm could realize and accept that.

The saga films, however, should have that aura of invincibility. If they lose that then Yeah, they're in trouble.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder just how low it will go WW? As low as 360 doesn't even seem impossible, which is just absurd. If the budget ever is officially reported and is indeed 300m, it will have to be one of the biggest B.O. bombs ever. 

Everybody is saying 250 is the minimum amount it cost, and could be considerably higher. Disney is just not commenting on the final budget, so 300 is a real possibility.

With the amount of money Disney has made after acquiring Star Wars and Marvel I'm sure 1 film tanking is not really going to be a big deal for them. They will figure it out and they will fix episode 9 and everything will be right again. Plus they've got The Incredibles Infinity Wars part 2 next year so I'm sure Disney will be just fine. Solo was a big fat bomb and everybody gets them and no one is immune to them not even Disney. But again they've made so much freaking money off of lucasfilm and Marvel and Pixar that they really won't feel this at all.

• Like 8
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

With the amount of money Disney has made after acquiring Star Wars and Marvel I'm sure 1 film tanking is not really going to be a big deal for them. They will figure it out and they will fix episode 9 and everything will be right again. Plus they've got The Incredibles Infinity Wars part 2 next year so I'm sure Disney will be just fine. Solo was a big fat bomb and everybody gets them and no one is immune to them not even Disney. But again they've made so much freaking money off of lucasfilm and Marvel and Pixar that they really won't feel this at all.

This. I know some people are always thirsty for this sensationalist doomsday stuff for different franchises or studios, but Star Wars will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Im not sure fixing Episode 9 will be that easy though 

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I dont think that's really a big deal as far as the spin-offs go. I mean, studios don't mind putting some of their movies up against solo Marvel movies.

It's a pretty good bet that ROGUE ONE will end up being the extreme high water mark for the "Star Wars Story" films, given it was coming fresh off TFA and it received the coveted mid-December release date. I would think that Lucasfilm could realize and accept that.

The saga films, however, should have that aura of invincibility. If they lose that then Yeah, they're in trouble.

"Solo" seems to have been a film where just about everything that could go wrong to add to the final cost did go wrong.

The real irony with the "Story Films" is one reason Disney did them was the assumption they could be made on a smaller scale and cost a Lot less then the Saga ffilms, but Rogue one ended up costing pretty much what a Saga film would have cost, and Solo is the most expensive SW film of all time. SOmwthing sure as hell went wrong;they got away with it on Rogue One but the cost overruns bit them in the butt with "Solo".

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

"Solo" seems to have been a film where just about everything that could go wrong to add to the final cost did go wrong.

The real irony with the "Story Films" is one reason Disney did them was the assumption they could be made on a smaller scale and cost a Lot less then the Saga ffilms, but Rogue one ended up costing pretty much what a Saga film would have cost, and Solo is the most expensive SW film of all time. SOmwthing sure as hell went wrong;they got away with it on Rogue One but the cost overruns bit them in the butt with "Solo".

That's a good way to look at it. The movie just went all wrong from the get go, starting with a portion of the audience rejecting the idea before one ounce of production had begun. I know. I remember way back in 2012 when these movies were announced and reading/hearing comments of the sort.

Again, Star Wars will be fine.

• Like 1

Is anybody actually saying Star Wars and/or Disney is doomed? We're just talking about the failure of this movie specifically and the possible ripple effect it'll have on the brand. SW will always make money but it does become a question of whether or not it remains a top-grossing franchise.

• Like 2

Solo's and Wrinkle losses aren't a big deal compared to the insane money Disney is making off other films. Deadline guesstimates BP to make 450+ in profits and AIW 600+.

I2, Ant-Man2, Ralph2, Poppins are gonna make profits (it's only a matter of how much). Pooh is the only one which is not a lock so far but is very likely to succeed.

Edited by A2k Raptor

6 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Is anybody actually saying Star Wars and/or Disney is doomed? We're just talking about the failure of this movie specifically and the possible ripple effect it'll have on the brand. SW will always make money but it does become a question of whether or not it remains a top-grossing franchise.

I feel like people who bring up that doomed narrative when nobody was pushing that are trying to stop people from discussing a bomb. It's the same thing that happened with A Wrinkle in Time. People don't like talking about Disney flops for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To be completely honest with you, I feel like Disney is fine with the Marvel stuff but I am actually hesitant to say that the Star Wars brand will be fine unless they nail the up and coming movie. Solo didn't just bomb. It bombed in an epic way. People legitimately did not care about a Star Wars movie. Not just in the states but world wide. We can talk about oh well Disney will be fine because it has Marvel and Pixar and Lucas Films will be fine blah blah and yes it's fine now. Disney won't feel this right now but to be honest with you Lucas Films and Disney need to find a way to attract the GA to Star Wars without using nostalgia as a prop. If they can't do that then I'm not sure where the franchise will go especially since I know (based on talking to Star Wars fans) that there are other interesting stories out there for the franchise. Episode 9 should and will be fine in my opinion. But it's about what LF are planning to do after that. And as we saw no you can't just attach Star Wars to any old film and just expect people to show up. So they really need to think outside the box and actually do some work in terms of being creative with the franchise. Having said all of that, based on the type of people Disney has working for them, I'm sure they'll get creative and right the ship. But Solo doing as bad as did isn't something to just sit and ignore. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

To be completely honest with you, I feel like Disney is fine with the Marvel stuff but I am actually hesitant to say that the Star Wars brand will be fine unless they nail the up and coming movie. Solo didn't just bomb. It bombed in an epic way. People legitimately did not care about a Star Wars movie. Not just in the states but world wide. We can talk about oh well Disney will be fine because it has Marvel and Pixar and Lucas Films will be fine blah blah and yes it's fine now. Disney won't feel this right now but to be honest with you Lucas Films and Disney need to find a way to attract the GA to Star Wars without using nostalgia as a prop. If they can't do that then I'm not sure where the franchise will go especially since I know (based on talking to Star Wars fans) that there are other interesting stories out there for the franchise. Episode 9 should and will be fine in my opinion. But it's about what LF are planning to do after that. And as we saw no you can't just attach Star Wars to any old film and just expect people to show up. So they really need to think outside the box and actually do some work in terms of being creative with the franchise. Having said all of that, based on the type of people Disney has working for them, I'm sure they'll get creative and right the ship. But Solo doing as bad as did isn't something to just sit and ignore. 

So much this. It’s comical to think that some people just want to brush aside an SW film going sub 400 WW like it’s not big deal and just your typical big budget John Carter type of bomb. Hell, just read that last sentence I wrote again and let it sink in for a moment that an SW film is in the same place as something like John Carter in terms of box office bomb. Do you know how insane you would have been dubbed if you ever ever cane close to suggesting that was possible up until this past weekend? 

The fact is the unthinkable happened: SW isn’t infalliable like everyone assumed it was, like it has been for four decades and tons of movies. And not only is not infalliable, it’s capable of bombing about as hard as big budget films can bomb. This is a huge deal for Disney, no it’s not just something they’ll casually dismiss and relish in their profits from other movies like they’ll likely do with WiT’s failure. This could have huge ripple effects and repercussions as you said. The idea of Disney not caring about this in a HUGE way is the most laughable thing I’ve ever heard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So much this. It’s comical to think that some people just want to brush aside an SW film going sub 400 WW like it’s not big deal and just your typical big budget John Carter type of bomb. Hell, just read that last sentence I wrote again and let it sink in for a moment that an SW film is in the same place as something like John Carter in terms of box office bomb. Do you know how insane you would have been dubbed if you ever ever cane close to suggesting that was possible up until this past weekend? 

The fact is the unthinkable happened: SW isn’t infalliable like everyone assumed it was, like it has been for four decades and tons of movies. And not only is not infalliable, it’s capable of bombing about as hard as big budget films can bomb. This is a huge deal for Disney, no it’s not just something they’ll casually dismiss and relish in their profits from other movies like they’ll likely do with WiT’s failure. This could have huge ripple effects and repercussions as you said. The idea of Disney not caring about this in a HUGE way is the most laughable thing I’ve ever heard.

AWIT failing isn't even the same thing. That was a film they green lit in hopes of it being a break out hit. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as it needed to be and never caught fire. AWIT is not a franchise. Star Wars is a brand/franchise. Like I said I 100% believe Disney will right the ship and think outside the box. It's why they pay the people that work for Disney what they do. But I don't think it's fine to just walk around with hands over ears and saying "everything is fine fine fine" when after Episode 9 everything is up in the air and clearly not fine. 

Disney will be fine in the short run but I'm sure they're now going to keep a much closer look at how Lucasfilm is being handled and how their handling their Star Wars films. The production troubles were probably less concerning to them when TFA, Rogue One and TLJ made $1 Billion+ but now with Solo's terrible performance you bet there's gonna be a microscope on Kathleen Kennedy's handling of Lucasfilm from Alan Horn and Bob Iger. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 3