WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

We praised great BO performances to high heavens, so naturally we also poke fun at BO bombs and underachievers. Don’t see anything wrong with it.

JL was a laughing stock for a while, and Solo failed even more spectacularly than JL, so some ribbing is warranted. And the movie hasn’t been out for a week in US yet, the horse is still alive (barely, but alive, so it’s ok, it can take more beatings) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Solo's and Wrinkle losses aren't a big deal compared to the insane money Disney is making off other films.

To give a sense of scale if they loose 200m from those 2.

Disney Studio entertainment made 8,379m in revenues and 2,355m in operating income last year (while loosing a good amount of money on an animated movie they just cancelled and will not release), that not include licensing revenues/park attendance/etc... they cause. That an insane margin for this business and completely abnormal ROI, you do not have to spend only 6b to make 2b gross income with movies usually, 25-35% are your great win that make up for your failure, not your slate average, in the last few year they average a big success.

If they budgeted from them to make 350m that a 550m deficit so quite the money, obviously not nothing but the rare studio that can relatively easy go over it and still not have a good year, have a great year.

But the issue is more what it did for that franchise value and all it's planned future profits actualized to today, did it went from a 8.2b valued brand to a 6.9 one ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

AWIT failing isn't even the same thing. That was a film they green lit in hopes of it being a break out hit. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as it needed to be and never caught fire. AWIT is not a franchise. Star Wars is a brand/franchise. Like I said I 100% believe Disney will right the ship and think outside the box. It's why they pay the people that work for Disney what they do. But I don't think it's fine to just walk around with hands over ears and saying "everything is fine fine fine" when after Episode 9 everything is up in the air and clearly not fine. 

And the thing is everyone is just assuming they can so easily fix the issue with IX. This may be one of the most uneasy fixes ever for a franchise. They're in an extremely tough spot trying to figure out what exactly they do with IX to unite the fanbase and GA's interest again. They can have the best people trying as hard as they can and they realistically still might not pull it off. Everyone has a million different ideas of the direction IX "should" go in, with so many people saying "well if x or y happens, then I'm out." So yeah, this ain't gonna be easy. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

The issue with Solo is the release date, OS (especially emerging markets in Asia) and the inflated budget.

Am guessing that released 1 year+ after TLJ this same movie could have done 270+230=500 ww.

They spent north of 300 (does any non-sequel need that unless it fucks up and needs reshoots) and released it 6 months after a mixed TLJ (3 months back it was in 800+ theaters). Once can say that they couldn't gauge TLJ's reception beforehand and should never have taken such a risk, but imaging saying that when TFA did 900+ dom (2b ww) and then RO did 500+ dom (1b+ ww).

The long-term problem is how China (along with other emerging nations in Asia) is showing the middle finger. RO doing 69.5 in China showed the potential and opportunity the franchise had. Solo is looking at 23% of that (~16) despite the growth in the Chinese market (Tomb Raider 80, Rampage 156, RPO broke out huge for 222).

I just saw Solo this afternoon. It is imperfect but I don't agree at all with the unfettered hate. Time permitting I'll go to the Grading Room tomorrow. 

I sense a majority of it is band wagon haters(it's the "cool" thing to do at the moment).

Grade: B 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

The issue with Solo is the release date, OS (especially emerging markets in Asia) and the inflated budget.

Am guessing that released 1 year+ after TLJ this same movie could have done 270+230=500 ww.

They spent north of 300 (does any non-sequel need that unless it fucks up and needs reshoots) and released it 6 months after a mixed TLJ (3 months back it was in 800+ theaters). Once can say that they couldn't gauge TLJ's reception beforehand and should never have taken such a risk, but imaging saying that when TFA did 900+ dom (2b ww) and then RO did 500+ dom (1b+ ww).

The long-term problem is how China (along with other emerging nations in Asia) is showing the middle finger. RO doing 69.5 in China showed the potential and opportunity the franchise had. Solo is looking at 23% of that (~16) despite the growth in the Chinese market (Tomb Raider 80, Rampage 156, RPO broke out huge for 222).

China is a wierd market. Pixar was a non-entity there and then coco happened. But if they keep releasing boba Fetts and obi wan then ain't happening anything there buddy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I just saw Solo this afternoon. It is imperfect but I don't agree at all with the unfettered hate. Time permitting I'll go to the Grading Room tomorrow. 

I sense a majority of it is band wagon haters(it's the "cool" thing to do at the moment).

Grade: B 

But most of the posters here liked the movie. Or did I miss something?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Premium George said:

But most of the posters here liked the movie. Or did I miss something?

Yep, but they're (we) are not the one posting over and over about it. 

The biggest detractors don't seem to have even seen it, but they seem to mostly be against Kennedy and the state of the current franchise with Solo as just collateral damage to them.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yep, but they're (we) are not the one posting over and over about it. 

The biggest detractors don't seem to have even seen it, but they seem to mostly be against Kennedy and the state of the current franchise with Solo as just collateral damage to them.

I saw it. Thought it was well made and acted but seeing Han Solo's full backstory was just not necessary

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Pretty sure most people who saw Solo liked the film. The actual quality of the final film isn't the reason it's failing unless we see it has even bigger drops in the following weeks. 

Solo seems better received than 50% of SW films before it. Going by the brand name of the titular character and the franchise, 300-350 dom was easily on cards.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I saw it. Thought it was well made and acted but seeing Han Solo's full backstory was just not necessary

This is part of my issue. I did feel that Rogue One was important enough of a story to tell. The sacrifices and commitment to the cause by heroes trying to make the universe better is a tale worth telling. It does add to the luster of the SW universe.

[Mod Edit-Minor possible Solo spoilers]

I thought the movie was very ugly to look at -- but everything else was fun!  As a member here said in a PM, it will be nice to rewatch at the house when I can put the Brightness on my TV all the way up.

I have a question.  Maybe someone knows the answer.

Pixar, Marvel Studios, and LucasFilm basically work as their own Sub Studio entities. Do we know if the profits from their respective movies are going back into a Disney general fund (and then Disney sets the operating budget of each Sub-Studio at the beginning of every year)?  Or does Marvel Studios get to keep on its money, and LucasFilm get to keep all its money?  I feel like knowing that would give us a better idea of just how bad this will financially hurt Disney and Lucas Film.  

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

This is part of my issue. I did feel that Rogue One was important enough of a story to tell. The sacrifices and commitment to the cause by heroes trying to make the universe better is a tale worth telling. It does add to the luster of the SW universe.

[Mod Edit-Minor possible Solo spoilers]

That's true and yet Solo felt less like a nostalgia checklist to me than TFA or filler like Rogue One.  Maybe because I liked the main characters more and enjoyed the journey with them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I thought the movie was very ugly to look at -- but everything else was fun!  As a member here said in a PM, it will be nice to rewatch at the house when I can put the Brightness on my TV all the way up.

I have a question.  Maybe someone knows the answer.

Pixar, Marvel Studios, and LucasFilm basically work as their own Sub Studio entities. Do we know if the profits from their respective movies are going back into a Disney general fund (and then Disney sets the operating budget of each Sub-Studio at the beginning of every year)?  Or does Marvel Studios get to keep on its money, and LucasFilm get to keep all its money?  I feel like knowing that would give us a better idea of just how bad this will financially hurt Disney and Lucas Film.  

Disney gets all the money. Solo will not hurt at all but it's the future of the brand that matters.

• Thanks 1

I don't have a vendetta against Kennedy. I've only disliked one of these new Star Wars movies and that was Rogue One. I'm A-okay with Kennedy staying on. I find mega bombs that everyone was so sure was going to succeed fascinating and so I discuss them. This bombing is a tad different from Justice League because nobody expected it. We didn't think it had a BvS to hinder it so why would it fail? We didn't think much would hinder it. I don't think that a ton of people thought a billion but a lot of people seemed to be expecting 700-900mil. I'm not claiming that this is going to collapse Disney but people should be allowed to discuss it like any other flop without people screaming that not so covert "shut-up" talking point.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't have a vendetta against Kennedy. I've only disliked one of these new Star Wars movies and that was Rogue One. I'm A-okay with Kennedy staying on. I find mega bombs that everyone was so sure was going to succeed fascinating and so I discuss them. This bombing is a tad different from Justice League because nobody expected it. We didn't think it had a BvS to hinder it so why would it fail? We didn't think much would hinder it. I don't think that a ton of people thought a billion but a lot of people seemed to be expecting 700-900mil. I'm not claiming that this is going to collapse Disney but people should be allowed to discuss it like any other flop without people screaming that not so covert "shut-up" talking point.

I think talking about Solo being a bomb is fair game, because...well, it's a bomb.  What's annoying is people still bitching about TLJ,  KK, and Rian Johnson.  I mean, give it a rest.  We get it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, I and others did say it had the markings of Justice league and got shot down. The writing was on the wall but people didn't want to see

On 5/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, Bobbybuilderton said:

I remember the last time a franchise coming off of a divisive sequel with decades old characters that should be easily bankable had marketing that seemed fun. I also remember that that movie was a massive disappointment at the box office. Star Wars probably isn't quite at the level of Justice League but we can't deny the similarities...We shouldn't be too sure that it'll do well

On 5/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, Bobbybuilderton said:

I don't see how the parallels to JL aren't apparent. I never said it'd get that type of RT rating but from what I remember, JL critics reactions were very similar. A lot of mixed-positive to positive, with a few negative thrown in. Coming off the heels of a very disappointing and divisive movie in the franchise. Fans of the universe claiming characters in the setting were "too big to fail" and could work off of brand recognition alone. If some people weren't blinded by their own fan love they would have realized that being just "ok" in this scenario is not enough to do well. Once the movie actually came out, GA either disliked it, thought it was just fine, or didn't show up at all. 

I don't think the movie will be as bad as Justice League. It probably won't be bad at all. But a "decent" movie is not enough to get uninterested butts in seats.