WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I’ve seen some people compare Solo to The Clone Wars movie to explain why Solo bombing is not a big deal. Lol

Yeah because a cheaply made Animated film was really the same thing as a 300mil Young Han Solo movie. Any excuse will do I suppose.

49 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, I just love the people who were rooting on another cinematic universe to fail bend over backwards to defend a 700mil drop and mixed reception and now an outright bomb with so-so leaning positive reviews. It's amazing how much some Star Wars fans are acting exactly like certain DC fans. Putting your fingers in your ears and saying "lalala" doesn't solve the problems.

Eh, in this case most of the those outright gleeful for it's failure are Star Wars fans who hate TLJ. 

Those SW fans who aren't though have yet to retreat to a special members only club to avoid hearing an ill. B) 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Eh, in this case most of the those outright gleeful for it's failure are Star Wars fans who hate TLJ. 

Those SW fans who aren't though have yet to retreat to a special members only club to avoid hearing an ill. B) 

I'm not talking about the people who hated The Last Jedi. I don't care about those people right now.

It’s hard to be impartial when it comes to Star Wars, it’s a very divisive franchise. My opinion as a non fan: first of all I don’t get why solo is bombing that hard, the movie looks like a fine summer adventure to me . I would understand if it did , say 650-700 milliion , an o.kish result . What’s happening with it , I dont get it. Secondly the main Star Wars episodes have lost the aura of invincibility for many years. Yes, TFA was a phenomenon in the u.s (that was carried to the overseas markets, but not to that degree) . This was a 30 years movie in the making though. AOTC had gone head to head to head with spider man and lost badly, while TLJ got the fight of its life from a not so high profile film, jumanji, I doubt any studio is sweating over putting a tent pole film opening close to ep 9. It seems the main episodes loose their momentum after the first one when the nostalgia and anticipation is over and they have to stand on their own feet.

As for the future sw films, drop the silly spin offs based on old characters nobody gives a shit for , I mean Boba Fett give me a break!! If a solo film is bombing, and solo is the only classic character tailor made for spin offs, then the only spin off that makes a bit of sense is the obi wan kenobi one. Then , when it comes to new mainline films, for the love of God get great actors. I am sorry but the actors in the new episodes are non-entities , they are just there. If you ask me who are the stars in a middle range marvel film , dr. Strange for example, I know them and I am excited to see them. Same goes for Jurassic world or fantastic beasts or most new big franchises. I don’t know what Disney was thinking. Skew older, don’t rely on kids to teenagers actors for your next trilogy when you won’t have mark hamill or Harrison Ford to boost the nostalgia factor. Actors like the ones in phantom menace , a young Liam neeson or a young Ewan mcgregor should be what Disney should be searching for the next trilogy, or the next Chris Pratt and Michael b. Jordan not the nobodies the chose for ep 7-9. You will need magnetism on the screen for the next mainline franchise so top of the line casting is in order.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I wonder how many pages of Thursday's thread will be devoted to the same "Solo is bombing" talking points that have been discussed ad nauseum every day since last Friday.

The same talking points keep getting brought up because people do not agree on which factor caused the most damage. It's pretty relevant to the conversation because you can't fix a problem if you aren't identifying it correctly

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

The same talking points keep getting brought up because people do not agree on which factor caused the most damage. It's pretty relevant to the conversation because you can't fix a problem if you aren't identifying it correctly

I doubt anyone involved in the conversation is in a position to fix any problem........

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Clone Wars probably saw profit from its theatrical run...

90 prod budget, 302 dom (1st release) and 338 os. 7.1x the prod budget globally

>300 prod budget, 225 dom ("1st release") and 175 os. so 1.3x

EDIT: mistook clone wars for aotc.

Edited by A2k Rex

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's also the reason why jl bombing was more enjoyable. Both defenders and haters were sidelined for memes.

That's not the case with solo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Clone wars was that more recent animated movie making 68m WW:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwarsclonewars.htm

yeah that made good money it seems

The film is set during the three-year time period between the films Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005), and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, who also holds the home media distribution rights to both this film and the first five seasons of the television series, even after Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm in 2012. The film premiered on August 10, 2008 at the Grauman's Egyptian Theatre, while screening in wide-release on August 14, 2008 across Australia, and August 15 in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. The Clone Wars served as an introduction to the television series of the same name, which debuted on October 3, 2008. Though critical reception was negative, the film was a box office success, and grossed $68.3 million worldwide against an $8.5 million budget.

Wonder if WB plan to use their rights once again any time soon?

Edited by A2k Rex

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I wonder how many pages of Thursday's thread will be devoted to the same "Solo is bombing" talking points that have been discussed ad nauseum every day since last Friday.

I’m shocked that a major movie in theaters is being discussed 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

yeah that made good money it seems

Wonder if WB plan to use their rights once again any time soon?

It says WB has distribution rights.  That doesn't mean they can make a new movie, they can just re-release what they have the rights to.  It's like Universal having solo Hulk distribution rights.  

• Like 2

when solo was announced, tfa's incredible run was 6 months away and dp1 was 8 months away from release. who was talking about dp that time? maybe more folks talking about solo.

today dp is established well, dp2 and solo are in release simultaneously, dp2 WW is looking at 5.5-6x it's prod budget while solo WW will cross dp1's Dom (363) by a small margin.

20 pages is too less.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Im not sure fixing Episode 9 will be that easy though 

IMO, it shouldn't be easy, if it was everyone would do it.  But JJ and Kathleen are smart people.  And SW fans are loyal.  SW recovered from the prequels (even though they weren't as hated as people make them out to be).  Look at Clones.  Lowest grossing film and a huge drop from TPM.  But they made a few smart decisions for ROTS and boom, all was right again.

49 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

It’s hard to be impartial when it comes to Star Wars, it’s a very divisive franchise. My opinion as a non fan: first of all I don’t get why solo is bombing that hard, the movie looks like a fine summer adventure to me . I would understand if it did , say 650-700 milliion , an o.kish result . What’s happening with it , I dont get it. Secondly the main Star Wars episodes have lost the aura of invincibility for many years. Yes, TFA was a phenomenon in the u.s (that was carried to the overseas markets, but not to that degree) . This was a 30 years movie in the making though. AOTC had gone head to head to head with spider man and lost badly, while TLJ got the fight of its life from a not so high profile film, jumanji, I doubt any studio is sweating over putting a tent pole film opening close to ep 9. It seems the main episodes loose their momentum after the first one when the nostalgia and anticipation is over and they have to stand on their own feet.

As for the future sw films, drop the silly spin offs based on old characters nobody gives a shit for , I mean Boba Fett give me a break!! If a solo film is bombing, and solo is the only classic character tailor made for spin offs, then the only spin off that makes a bit of sense is the obi wan kenobi one. Then , when it comes to new mainline films, for the love of God get great actors. I am sorry but the actors in the new episodes are non-entities , they are just there. If you ask me who are the stars in a middle range marvel film , dr. Strange for example, I know them and I am excited to see them. Same goes for Jurassic world or fantastic beasts or most new big franchises. I don’t know what Disney was thinking. Skew older, don’t rely on kids to teenagers actors for your next trilogy when you won’t have mark hamill or Harrison Ford to boost the nostalgia factor. Actors like the ones in phantom menace , a young Liam neeson or a young Ewan mcgregor should be what Disney should be searching for the next trilogy, or the next Chris Pratt and Michael b. Jordan not the nobodies the chose for ep 7-9. You will need magnetism on the screen for the next mainline franchise so top of the line casting is in order.

Star Wars is simply the most successful franchise in the history of cinema (especially in the English-speaking world) 

When you say AOTC lost badly to Spider-Man, you have to consider that said AOTC, has been far and away the weakest SW film and Spider-Man was a blockbuster for the history books. 

In matter of fact, this is exactly what makes the complete and utter failure of Solo so significant. It is the first time in history, that a Star Wars movie is anything remotely close to a failure, and in Solo's case, we are dealing with an absolute failure, not a relative one. 

• ...wtf 1