WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

31 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

Looking at how strong and consistent Hobbits were in China (for it's time) one can only imagine how LOTRs would do there today. Hell WB should try to release them there.

Well the first hobbit did pretty meh, most were disapointed it coudn't get Skyfall, but then it increased 50% with hobbit 2, inreased another 64% with hobbit 3. It was really gaining ground in china.

Hobbit1: 21th

Hobbit2: 19th

Hobbit3: 14th

Of their year, so it was clearly gaining.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mekanos said:

Is anybody actually saying Star Wars and/or Disney is doomed? We're just talking about the failure of this movie specifically and the possible ripple effect it'll have on the brand. SW will always make money but it does become a question of whether or not it remains a top-grossing franchise.

They were a LOT of those kind ofmposts to read since the first numbers got released.

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Disney will be fine in the short run but I'm sure they're now going to keep a much closer look at how Lucasfilm is being handled and how their handling their Star Wars films. The production troubles were probably less concerning to them when TFA, Rogue One and TLJ made $1 Billion+ but now with Solo's terrible performance you bet there's gonna be a microscope on Kathleen Kennedy's handling of Lucasfilm from Alan Horn and Bob Iger. 

He was part of the reasons the filming of the actual trilogy got pushed for (probably too) early releases.

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Yep, but they're (we) are not the one posting over and over about it. 

The biggest detractors don't seem to have even seen it, but they seem to mostly be against Kennedy and the state of the current franchise with Solo as just collateral damage to them.

Agree. Including twisting the posts of others (happening in this thread also) to the meaning of 'excuses'.... when they were originally formulated as additional reasons (not accepting any other reason than their crusade against SW based on their hate for a certain movie)

3 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

Solo seems better received than 50% of SW films before it. Going by the brand name of the titular character and the franchise, 300-350 dom was easily on cards.

Disagree.
 I never understood the high estimates / tracking numbers (see trailer view counts), the mau reactions as it got announced

It is a freaking prequel sidestory of 1 character (better said 2.5). Even without the articles about production problems, and whatnot, I think ppl throw around 'easy', 'at least', 'no problem' way too often

If the film would not have had the troubles it might have gotten a full point better rating average. If ppl were not out wielding knives against the next instalment, if interview statements wouldn't have taken out of context or even changed in the wording/meaning for click-bait headlines, IF IF IF

IMHO a 300m plus result is still never 'easy'

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm not claiming that this is going to collapse Disney but people should be allowed to discuss it like any other flop without people screaming that not so covert "shut-up" talking point.

If a discussion in the meaning of 'discussion' would have happen (as in the majority of the posts in the OW thread did not), than ppl wouldn't have reacted annoyed like they did.

Incl to claim that every person who does try to provide additional reasons or trying to get back a reasoned style.... got named a ~ blind fan of a certain movie who wants to shut-up those crusaders.

To give an example based on my posts, I didn't even watch the movie they crusade against, how can I be a fan of it?

Yes, I do see the want to discuss it, no problem with that.

But: there are the franchise war thread, the movie's dom and international thread, also some clubs, spoiler threads... why have the 'Schadenfreude/glee' posts in the hundreds by a handful of posters to happen in the 'actuals' thread to the amount that there is a maybe (felt like) 5% of post not about it (o.K., the occasional DP2, AIW is also there, usually short posts).

Actuals is for all of the movies in release, numbers, changes of tc,... discuss the possible impact of those tc for movie xy, or use calculation models for the next few days or whatever, in my POV a handful of posters hijack the actuals for ... not what I'd call a discussion.

But as they probably already did that there too, maybe there it would be more obvious how often they do the same posts (empty in the meaning per repeat)?

Btw, if someone crusades FOR a movie, its also annoying like hell if it hijacks one thread after thread after thread..., even if it is for a movie I actually like a lot (I did put members for that on my ignore list as well)

Where is the new detail, thought, the newly learned insight? In my POV actuals is not existing to restart the 'discussion' with the same posts over and over and over...... again. Interpretations of titbits out of the whole of another poster that gets twisted or overblown to support an earlier POV, no grow to see.

People reacting vs. to that % of repeats (and the crusading style of wording) are not saying to shut-up for trying to 'cover-up' or whatever some try to imply here, they say in a way to go to the matching thread or find new points, learn out of the provided details whatever. The countless repeats are BOOOORIIINNNGGG.

Here are actually ppl who are interested into the numbers... of other movies too, it is annoying like hell to even try to find the few posts about those here.

Guess why I mostly read and write in the actuals threads (and International, China), they are usually the only ones that are readable for ppl into the BO for ~ naked numbers alone.

I do (not last year) usually 2 movies a year were I follow up in-depth all financial information, also what too might have influenced the outcome (including weather, sport, local movies or politics,...) then I go to the matching threads too, or to some movies' threads I get curious per actuals or so. And too often feel like I have to 'flee' based on some pro/contra wars

I know I am not the only one not interested into Schadenfreude sprees or franchise wars or whatever.

Didn't understand the DCU/MCU %$§& neither nor why ppl think the BO of a franchise is a proof for quality of a film or... 

Also annoying is, that the existence of reasons for ppl like myself seems to get ignored per implying the motivations for 'its enough' is solely based on reasons that have NOTHING to do with the real reasons.

As if there is no possibility to be interested into BO without being a fan for a movie/franchise/actor/director/whatever

As I started to get interested into BO the franchises as we know them today did not even exist (beside one, but that was then not clear/obvious to become one)

Btw its also about the sum of repeat posts since release, imagine a barrel for collecting rain water, if it is full, it is full.

3 hours ago, ZackM said:

I think talking about Solo being a bomb is fair game, because...well, it's a bomb.  What's annoying is people still bitching about TLJ,  KK, and Rian Johnson.  I mean, give it a rest.  We get it.

Agree, wholeheartedly

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm a Marvel fan as well. I like Disney's products. I just don't think that they are above criticism like some others do.

I have not seen one post that tries to deny they are being above criticism, wordings like that are what I meant above too.

No one has anything against criticism, only about the repeats, the one-sidedness, the 'Schadenfreude' in its amount (repeats again), the wrong place to do it especially in its amount,....

51 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Star Wars is simply the most successful franchise in the history of cinema (especially in the English-speaking world)

Not sure how you meant it (English is not my native tongue) Only counting for dom BO for now (ww it got surpassed a while ago), and not based on Solo, but the amount of releases per year, soon in dom not counting also.

If cinema in this wording is meant as money made per cinema (BO)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A2k Rex said:

Looking at how strong and consistent Hobbits were in China (for it's time) one can only imagine how LOTRs would do there today. Hell WB should try to release them there.

Not sure if compareable numbers would be possible even if released today for the first time, as China has a strongly increasing local mocie industry too, and the Hollywood movies that do seem to get the higher numbers seem to be more focused on a lot of bigger action, speed,... Not saying solely.

BOM does not list the local Chinese movies if the movie didn't got/get a dom release too.

Means the impresssion someone will get whilst using especially BOM if its about non-Hollywood movies is a very wrong one

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

4 leaf clover

Trump is pointing

High 5

Trump is the 45th president so i though thats where the 4.5 comes from. Dont know what purpose the other 2 serves

Edited by ZeeSoh

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Trump is the 45th president so i though thats where the 4.5 comes from. Dont know what purpose the other 2 serves

Trump being the 45th president has nothing to do with it.  Put the puzzle together and use all three images.